Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board  (Read 31674 times)

forbzik

Re: Russian Law (and Pre-Law) Student Discussion Board
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
Dobro pazhalovat.  O chyom budem obsuzhdat?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »
Well, I am doing immigration law this summer and I have come across a number of problems with current immigration laws that specifically affect Russians.

For example, the 7 year limitation on SSI benefits for refugees.  The law is designed to encourage individuals to naturalize after the requisite 5 years, but it has a deterimental effect on elderly refugees who suffer from PTSD and various ailments that preclude them from being able to master English and civics to the degree necessary to pass the naturalization exam.

Our communities need to mobilize and lobby for an extension on the 7 year limitation (legislation is currently pending in Congress).  As well, refugees need to be informed, so that they are not surprised when they are cut off and have nowhere to turn for income and support.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 10:10:08 PM »
I didn't know that... I'm interested in immigration law but I know very little about it so far.  (I know a bit about student and fiancee visas, but that's it.)

Are you in law school right now?  And where do you go?

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 10:23:55 PM »
you know my language skills are... limited at best... leave me to my room beneath the stairs!!!  :D
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 10:57:26 PM »
I didn't know that... I'm interested in immigration law but I know very little about it so far.  (I know a bit about student and fiancee visas, but that's it.)

Are you in law school right now?  And where do you go?

I am starting my second year at Berkeley in August.  Catholic Charities puts out awesome publications on immigation law.  You should check them out if you are interested in that practice field.

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 11:45:29 AM »
Ah, spasibo za sovet... Prochitayu!

Zhivut li v Kalifornii mnogo russkikh?  V avguste ya budu studentkoi v Clevelande, i govoryat chto est' tam mnogo russko-yazychnikh.

(If only I could type Cyrillic on here, that would look much nicer.)

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 09:43:52 PM »
Good evening dear Russian law/prelaw students:

I'm attempting to step on "legal" path and see, that it's not that easy, as was expected.
Any advice with improving LSAT score and personal statement? Although it's too early to think about PS, until the LSAT reached decent score. So, any personal experience and pieces of advice (including how to choose a right prep.course, self-study strategy, etc.) are extremely appriciated.
Thank you all in advance.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »
Good evening dear Russian law/prelaw students:

I'm attempting to step on "legal" path and see, that it's not that easy, as was expected.
Any advice with improving LSAT score and personal statement? Although it's too early to think about PS, until the LSAT reached decent score. So, any personal experience and pieces of advice (including how to choose a right prep.course, self-study strategy, etc.) are extremely appriciated.
Thank you all in advance.

1) stay away from kaplan

2) get the logic games and logical reasoning bibles

3) if you are an immigrant, draw on that experience in your PS

Bella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »
Dear White Russian, thank you for valuable advice.
So, TestMasters or PowerScore now?
Regarding my immigration experience - it wasn't any bitter, was pretty smooth. The thing is, that as I understood, reading LSD, PS should be about an applicant and his/her achievements, not about law school and a reason of goiong there. But my "problem" is the fact of holding Russian law degree (so, I kind of can't omit it, I guess), and I'd say it was my hardest achievement. At the same time there is no way I want to sound arrogant of any kind.

Thanks again

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 02:57:36 PM »
Dear White Russian, thank you for valuable advice.
So, TestMasters or PowerScore now?
Regarding my immigration experience - it wasn't any bitter, was pretty smooth. The thing is, that as I understood, reading LSD, PS should be about an applicant and his/her achievements, not about law school and a reason of goiong there. But my "problem" is the fact of holding Russian law degree (so, I kind of can't omit it, I guess), and I'd say it was my hardest achievement. At the same time there is no way I want to sound arrogant of any kind.

Thanks again

There is no magic formula to writing a personal statement.  You have to do what works best for you and what highlights your strengths.  I mentioned why I wanted to go to law school in my PS.  I didn't make it the focus of what I wrote, but I didn't feel it would have a detrimental effect if I explained what made me so passionate about the law.   

I don't really understand why you think having a Russian law degree would hurt you.  Could you explain?