Law School Discussion

Still undecided: Davis or Emory??? Help!

Still undecided: Davis or Emory??? Help!
« on: May 24, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
I go back and forth everyday and now I only have a few days left to decide. Any input will be appreciated.

I will be in huge amounts of debt at either school, but $35,000 to $50,000 less at Davis, which is definiately a significant amount.

However, Davis is overshadowed in the CA market by all those great schools in the area and job prospects seem better at Emory... or so they appear.

Please help!!  ??? 

Candide!

• Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Still undecided: Davis or Emory??? Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:38:22 PM »
um, where do you want to live? statistics say that is you go to emory will most likly be working in georgia and if you go to davis you will be working in northern california.

there is certainly a difference in these locations, and you most likely have a prefference.

also, yes there are more schools surrounding davis, but it is also a much much larger market, requiring more graduates than stanford/boalt/hastings can provide. davis grads do not have a problem getting jobs. just look at thier employment stats at graduation

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »
Well, I would eventually want to settle down in Boston or NYC. About 60% of Emory grads are placed out of state (including the NE) whereas Davis grads stay mainly in CA, which is another reason I'm unsure... But yes, it seems as if Davis grads do pretty well. Thanks for your help.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »
If Boston or NYC are your eventual goals, Emory hands down.

Candide!

• Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »
to be honest, if the OP wants to work in boston or nyc and the two options are Emory and Davis, there really isnt a "hands down" option

"hands down" options would look like BU, or Fordham

but having school spirit is always a good thing. :)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
I don't know the numbers for Davis, but I'd put some decent money on the table that at least twice as many Emory grads go to NYC than Davis grads.

Even without the actual numbers, knowing what I know about Emory still has me saying Emory hands down if NYC is an eventual goal.

Stanimal

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 07:11:42 PM »
A lot of NE'ers come to Emory in the first place, so you're more likely to make a connection up to NYC by going to Emory.  Plus Atlanta is a great city, low cost of living, and you'd be going to one of the best schools in the region if you decide not to go to NYC.

To keep your options open, even though you make think you want to be in NYC now, I believe is the better choice.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 12:56:43 PM »
Yeah, I do like the idea of being in a city. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and face the loans!!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 10:43:34 AM »
Go to Davis, so that I can have your spot at Emory ;D

Hegel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »
Go to Emory so I can have your spot at Davis  ;)

Really, Emory places well in NYC compared to Davis.  As others said, many students at Emory are from NY including, most importantly, Emory alumni.