Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Partial, Except, Not, Most!! Underline Underline!!!  (Read 655 times)

M2

Partial, Except, Not, Most!! Underline Underline!!!
« on: June 05, 2004, 12:06:09 PM »
I jsut realized that the last few ggames I messed up is because I didn't notice one of the above words..
This is just ridiculous... I guess i am going too fast.

Green, is this what you have been having problems with ?
I need to make sure I underline all these words...and even re-read each question.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Partial, Except, Not, Most!! Underline Underline!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 12:16:47 PM »
I hate those questions everywhere they show up, because the first few answer choices I read I think "all of this is true EXCEPT" but by the time I get down to D I revert back to looking for a true answer, rather than a false one.

I also hate it because I always cross out false answers and put lines next to true answers, and my brain absolutely refuses to switch and cross out the true answers on those kinds of questions.  So half the time I end up having to circle an answer I crossed out.

M2

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
I hate those questions everywhere they show up, because the first few answer choices I read I think "all of this is true EXCEPT" but by the time I get down to D I revert back to looking for a true answer, rather than a false one.

I also hate it because I always cross out false answers and put lines next to true answers, and my brain absolutely refuses to switch and cross out the true answers on those kinds of questions.  So half the time I end up having to circle an answer I crossed out.

Yep exactly.

in fact I just redid a game from last night where I had this problem, and I did it yet again!!

"Each of the following must be true EXCEPT"...and I crossed out the one that could be false...which is the one I really wanted!

Maybe I need to write "which could be false?" and cross out "Each of the following must be true EXCEPT" on all the games.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:28:31 PM »
i do misread questions from time to time, but this is not my chief concern.

i will misread rules a lot of times getting ordering relationships somehow switched around or reading "neither" as either.  i have made progress on this but still screw it up from time to time.  the main problem with this is that it can cost you several questions for a single mistake.

i have started to not only read more carefully, but to go back and doublecheck all my rules for each setup.  it probably cuts a few minutes from a games section, but it is probably worhtwhile for me.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 03:32:11 PM »
Tsk tsk.  Someone's forgetting the logic games bible!   :D

If I remember correctly, they actually include a section about must be true, can be false, etc.  They actually recommend you write "3 must be true, 1 not necess. true" for something like "must be true EXCEPT"

Not that I do this either.  I should though, since even if I underline or circle the EXCEPT, I still get confused like Green and start looking for the wrong answer.