Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comp tip  (Read 916 times)

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Reading Comp tip
« on: June 05, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »
Someone has probably already posted this before, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I was struggling with the time on the reading comp section.  I tried to skim (or read the first sentence of every paragraph first then read it) and all those kinds of tips, but they didn't work.   Then I remembered what I used to do for reading comp. on the MCAT.  I boxed names and terms, circled dates, and underlined main points. Doing this does two things: 1) it helps keep me from zoning out and 2) it makes it easier to refer back to the passage.  Doing that I can easily get through all the passages.

So if you're struggling with reading comp, I think it's worth a try. 

All the prep books that tell you to skim tell you that this works because the questions don't deal with details or your understanding of the details (and even if they do, you can refer back). But I think a LOT of the questions require you to be aware of a detail and refering to a passage you skimmed for a detail wastes a lot of time.  Also, so many times the correct answer choice uses the same words as the passage (sometimes it's a trap, but not as often as it's the correct answer) but if you skimmed the passage, you're not as likely to recognize the exact words used in the passsage. But I'm no expect, I'm just saying what I've noticed...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Comp tip
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 11:57:25 AM »
Powerscore recommends this strategy too.  It basically the only help they give on RC, because really, there's no real "tricks" or strategies for questions like LR or LG.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 01:39:40 PM »
Powerscore recommends this strategy too.  It basically the only help they give on RC, because really, there's no real "tricks" or strategies for questions like LR or LG.

That's cool.  Kaplan and PR and so many others recommend the skimming stradegy and that just doesn't work for me.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 03:28:44 PM »
Ditto.  I just don't think skimming in general will get you anyway.  The only time I skim is if I'm having trouble focusing, and I'll take like 20 seconds to get a general feel for where the passage may be headed.  But otherwise, it's tough to reference back to a 5 paragraph passage for a particular term with skimming.  You'd know that you saw the word, but you'd have no idea where, and you'd end up skimming like 8 times.  What a waste.