Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why would you be good at LR but bad at LG????  (Read 2213 times)

M2

Re: Why would you be good at LR but bad at LG????
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 03:39:51 PM »
I just can't see thinking about the sections in the same way.  When I'm doing games, I feel like I'm doing a math problem.  Not that it's related to math ability, but there is a right and a wrong answer.  It could be the visual aspect, but for me, I don't think that's it.  I thing that since there are definite strategies for mapping things out and making inferences for games, it's a teachable section.

LR, on the other hand, isn't really.  I suppose it's related to reading closely, but I think it's more than that.

I dunno...I guess it's not something I can really explain.  All I can say is that for me, it feels like I'm doing something compeletly different for LR and LG.  I think I utilize different skills, etc.  I suppose I should have described it as more of a personal experience in my original post, and not just a statement.

I really dont know what skills are needed for LG...

I have aced Physics and Math courses that involve lots of calculation, abstraction and visualation, but the games sections still kill me. I dont feel like I am doing a math problem at all.
I wish there was a math section!

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »
I'm with Jacy though my reasoning is a little less sophisticated: when I do games a different part of my brain hurts than when I do arguments.  With reading comp, my eyes hurt.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »
I'm with Jacy though my reasoning is a little less sophisticated: when I do games a different part of my brain hurts than when I do arguments.  With reading comp, my eyes hurt.

I don't think it less sophisticated!  I think it's just stated simpler.  ;D

My brain hurts differently too!

M2

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
I HATE LOGIC GAMES!!!

I dont understand what they are supposed to measure...
How does this type of thinking (whatever it is) help one be a lawyer?

I just dont get it...I can argue with the best of em...and my ways of thining are always very logical...but these games???
I think its the time constraint that kills me.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2004, 04:42:10 PM »
I HATE LOGIC GAMES!!!

I dont understand what they are supposed to measure...
How does this type of thinking (whatever it is) help one be a lawyer?

I just dont get it...I can argue with the best of em...and my ways of thining are always very logical...but these games???
I think its the time constraint that kills me.

I think it tests your ability to think quickly.  Say you're in court and the other lawyer slams you with evidence you didn't know about (like that his/her client does certain chores on mon. wed. and thurs, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, she does laundry exactly twice, grocery shopping at least once, and cleans at least once.  Since she never cleans on a day she goes grocery shopping, she couldn't have been home when her husband was killed on wednesday) and you have to figure out if that's true before your cross examination.  ;)

M2

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »
lmao...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
Skittles,

I think that's one of the best posts I've seen on this board... :D

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »
cant speak for others...

but for me, i had tons of trouble with LR and no trouble with games because LR didnt really seem to be about logic as it is about making sense.  some of you might say that theyre the same thing, but i would disagree.

with games, there is a right and a wrong answer.  there is no in-between.  with LR questions, there were always areas where certain things can be interpreted within a shade of gray.   i had trouble because i kept second guessing myself after narrowing all the choices down to the 2 of 5 rule (always 2 seemingly good answers out of 5).  both answers seem to be logical, but i couldnt make one more sensible than the other unless you really thought about every word in the damn stimulus. 

logic games are easier because the only problem is in the setup.  once you have everything set up, its easier than completing a jigsaw puzzles with only 2 pieces.  a lot of people have problems with this because they think that if there are 5 rules, thats all there is.  if you take those 5 rules and extrapolate, you can sometimes make those 5 rules into 8 or 9 rules. 

my 2 cents...im pretty sure it wont help clarify, but its just something to think about...or flame me about. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 06:09:01 PM »
Skittles,

I think that's one of the best posts I've seen on this board... :D

You like that?  I have other examples.  Say you win a huge multi-million dollar case and you have to select 3 of exactly 7 cars from a lot that has a jag, bmw, audi, accura, lexus, blazer and ford explorer available.  If the blazer and the explorer won't both fit in your garage and you need at least two luxury cars to get laid, which three cars will get you laid in the backseat of the biggest car? And the boss's daughter is coming over in exactly 8 minutes and 45 secs and she doesn't like german cars.

M2

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 06:17:11 PM »
8 min and 45 seconds!!! lol