Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What sort of rates did everyone get on their private loans?  (Read 7951 times)

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of rates did everyone get on their private loans?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 02:13:08 PM »
tag
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

faith2005

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 02:32:05 PM »
hmm, i'm looking into buying a car and so i was holding off on applying for the private loans until after that was figured out. does it make more sense to do it the other way around?

Niuniu

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »
I was quoted LIBOR + 3.75% with Accessgroup and Prime Rate + 0.25% with Citibank.  Even with the higher Prime Rate %, Citibank was still a much better rate than Accessgroup, so I went with them.  Definitely don't automatically go with Accessgroup.  Seems like a number of people are getting high rate quotes from them.

FYI: Credit is 740 from experian. 

Fabyahluss

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2005, 01:59:25 AM »
Does Citibank have any origination fees or anything of that nature for their private loans?

I was quoted LIBOR + 3.75% with Accessgroup and Prime Rate + 0.25% with Citibank.  Even with the higher Prime Rate %, Citibank was still a much better rate than Accessgroup, so I went with them.  Definitely don't automatically go with Accessgroup.  Seems like a number of people are getting high rate quotes from them.

FYI: Credit is 740 from experian. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 02:34:25 AM »
Does anybody know when it's too late to apply for private loans?  I'm trying to pay down a CC as much as I can and I was thinking I'd apply at the end of the month.  Think this is a good idea, or is it cutting it too close time-wise?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 04:35:02 AM »
Well since my credit is not so hot and have so far been getting rejected  :'( as a stand-alone applicant, I am thinking of waiting until, September or October to apply. Government loans can cover my tuition and a small amount of living expenses until then.
I'm thinking in the next few months I could improve my credit enough to qualify as a stand-alone applicant. My only option as a co-signer is grandma, and she is kind of mean.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2005, 08:13:25 AM »
You don't get your government loans in a lump sum, FYI.  You'll get about $9K first semester, $9k second semester.

So if your tuition and expenses are only 9K your first semester, your plan will work just fine.  If not, you might need to figure out something sooner than that.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2005, 02:29:23 PM »
Well my tuition and fees are about 11,000 per semester, and I have a grant of $2,500 per semester. Without private loans I will have about 2,800 left after tuition for the semester. Obviously that's only going to tide me over a short while, but my boyfriend is either going to get a second job or take out a student loan himself (he's still in ugrad.)
So, I guess I'm partly relying on the "boyfriend stepping up with more money plan."

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 09:38:21 PM »
dbgirl - Wow!  Your tuition and fees are low!  I'm going to a state school as an in-state resident and my tuition and fees are still about $17k to $18k a year.  Where are you going to school?
Attending: Texas

fat_daddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2005, 12:43:47 AM »
I have a 760 credit score and Access still wants me to pay LIBOR +3.75%. I think they are crazy and won't go with them out of spite. What does it take to get +2.55%?
Attending: University of the Pacific-McGeorge