Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much should you spend on your laptop for LS?  (Read 1913 times)

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How much should you spend on your laptop for LS?
« on: June 04, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »
Assuming you don't already have a laptop, I was wondering how much people were planning to spend. If you're only using it for research and notes does it really make a difference whether you buy a 1K or a 2K laptop? I know some schools increase your financial aid package so you can buy one but is it really worth it to buy anything more than minimal? 

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much should you spend on your laptop for LS?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 12:07:45 AM »
Personally, I don't think you need to spend 2G's on a notebook.  You're gonna need to access the internet, and typical office suite programs.  The higher end computers have better graphics arrays, larger screens, larger hard drives, dvd burners, etc.  Personally, I'm gonna get a low end 'thin-and-light' with a wireless card, something like the dell 600, which is about $1200-1300.  It's not great for high end graphics, but has good battery life and is small and light as hell, with a 14 inch screen.

jgomez

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:09:14 AM »
i would think something minimal is all you need.  nowadays, the minimal is mightly powerful. 

all you will use it for in class is, taking notes, taking exams, surfing the web, and instant messaging.

oh yea, don't get an apple. 

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »
I agree.  If you spend 2K you're buying more than you need, although some people feel it is justified so you can play the games and the videos and  and and

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 12:46:52 AM »
OFF TOPIC:

Voltron!!  That has to be the best avatar yet.  :)  I can be such a geek. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 08:45:44 PM »
I'm going to spend about 1500-2000. I'd rather have something new (under warranty) and up-to-date than an older, slower and unreliable bargain computer for 500 bucks.  That's just me.  Of course if your school doesn't allow for a budget appeal for computer purchase, or you simply don't have the funds, the bargain is better than nothing. 

thinknpositive

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:05:20 PM »
I'm going to spend about 1500-2000. I'd rather have something new (under warranty) and up-to-date than an older, slower and unreliable bargain computer for 500 bucks.  That's just me.  Of course if your school doesn't allow for a budget appeal for computer purchase, or you simply don't have the funds, the bargain is better than nothing. 

Getting an extended warranty is key, especially with notebooks.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 09:27:21 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll probably try to spend a little over 1K. The annoying thing is my desktop is almost four years old and I really want a new one but because I have to get a laptop I won't be able to afford one. Not to mention that I get twice the computer for the same amount of money when comparing desktop to laptop. They should just come up with a digital notetaker for a few hundred dollars. Oh well.

ElysiaCerise

• From PSU to UMarlyandSL!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LawPrncess3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 07:37:37 PM »
Maryland has a program set up for it's incoming 1L's.  They have an agreement with Dell to reduce the price of some of their nice notebooks.  The one I chose was a D505.  It's just as capable as my Dimension desktop, but it'll be the only computer I bring to school with me so it better be good.  The price started at $1400 but ended at $2150 after I added in all the other crap...

Hopefully most schools have simlar programs...

~E
Heading to Baltimore in August...

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:07:41 AM »
You can get by spending around 1K for a law school laptop and get everything you need on it.  Honestly, you might not want to spend *too* much on a laptop since in all likelihood you'll use it for 3 years and then get a new one when you enter the workforce.

oh yea, don't get an apple. 

It's really too bad that most schools use Examsoft, which isn't Apple-compatible...they're really making some of the best laptops out there right now.