Law School Discussion

My 1L summer internship -- taking questions

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
My 1L summer internship -- taking questions
« on: May 23, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »
Just thought some of the incoming students may like to ask current 1L's what their summer positions are really like.  Hopefully we can get some representation from every realm - judicial externships, legal aid orgs and large firms.

For obvious reasons, I will not disclose the acutal name of the organization I am working for this summer, however I welcome questions about other aspects of my job.  I am working at a non-profit legal aid organization in the Immigration Unit.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: My 1L summer internship -- taking questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 09:54:28 AM »
paid or not?  home area or close to law school's main market?  how many letters sent out?  how many interviews?  how did you decide on this position?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:24:22 AM »
paid or not?  home area or close to law school's main market?  how many letters sent out?  how many interviews?  how did you decide on this position?
I am not getting paid by the organization, but I have a fellowship.  I'm working close to where my parents live and where I hope to end up when I graduate.  This is definitely not my school's main market.

I sent out something like 100 letters, most of them to firms.  I started thinking more seriously about doing legal aid when I spoke to a number of practitioners who suggested that it would be a better 1L experience than a firm, because I would get more responsibility and independence.  I opted for this particular organization because I am getting my own cases and because the work they do was the closest fit to my interests and skills.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 10:43:18 AM »
@ Boalt.. how many pro bono hours are required for graduation ? i know this isn't a summer assistantship related question..but I'm just curious

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »
@ Boalt.. how many pro bono hours are required for graduation ? i know this isn't a summer assistantship related question..but I'm just curious

You know, I am not certain, but I am sure I will meet the requirement between the assistantship this summer and the clinic I will be doing in the fall.