Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 8666 times)

Fabyahluss

Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2005, 01:53:32 AM »
I finished The Secret Life of Bees recently; you know, the book that I previously considered boring and slow. Well, it picked up. All in all, it was a pretty good book. To be honest, it's the first fiction novel that I've read in quite some time that was set in such an ancient period (South Carolina in the 60s). It was pretty good though, and I can see why it'd be a bestseller. Moreover, as Mobell alluded to earlier, if you've been raised or have lived in the south, you may enjoy the book much better than someone who wasn't, simply because you may relate to some of the experiences of the main characters. See, I've lived in a blue state my whole life, and altough the novel was set in the 60s, I know some of that blatant racist ish still goes down in the south, to which I can't even fathom, much less relate.

Anywho, happy reading!  8)

faith2005

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2005, 09:57:20 AM »
swb--ancient period? the 60's? LOL!

Ok, I finished 3 books these past 2 weeks. The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat was excellent! I love her writing, its innovative, beautiful and lyrical. I also read the devil wears prada. it was a fun read and kept me interested. i read it a couple of times on the various planes i was on this weekend and I was laughing out loud. it was a fun book. and i also read a taste of reality. i mentioned it earlier, but it was a good book. now i am ready to get some others. i think i will try this secret life of bees and see what its about.
peace y'all!

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2005, 12:01:43 PM »
swb--ancient period? the 60's? LOL!

Ok, I finished 3 books these past 2 weeks. The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat was excellent! I love her writing, its innovative, beautiful and lyrical. I also read the devil wears prada. it was a fun read and kept me interested. i read it a couple of times on the various planes i was on this weekend and I was laughing out loud. it was a fun book. and i also read a taste of reality. i mentioned it earlier, but it was a good book. now i am ready to get some others. i think i will try this secret life of bees and see what its about.
peace y'all!

Do I get points for finishing No Disrespect the other day? When I told people what I was reading, they'd look at me like  :-\ Been there, done that, long time ago... LOL. After reading it, I felt like it was a book that all young women should read.  But some of the stories she tells are so crazy I have to wonder if a young girl who hasn't been through anything yet herself would even take it seriously.

I think I'll go with Dew Breaker or Bees next.  Maybe we could all be on the same book at the same time and talk about it...
"I take summers off cuz I love winter beef..." NAS

lex19

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2005, 12:34:24 PM »
i was late too with no disrespect, i read it abouttwo months ago but better late than never!

faith2005

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2005, 04:43:48 PM »
like i said sister souljah went thru some craziness. i mean, that one dude who played her and took her money shocked me, but then that was not the only story of craziness in the book. i have a feeling there are others that she didn't put in.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2005, 05:54:33 PM »
Maybe we could all be on the same book at the same time and talk about it...

That's a really great idea! I just ordered She Who Shops. Someone recommended it on this thread, and on the description on amazon it seemed pretty funny. Only thing is amazon takes foreeeeeeeever to ship, so hopefully I'll get it before the summer is over. I paid $6.50 for it, which isn't too bad.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2005, 05:59:30 PM »
One Hundred Years of Solitude is a fantastic book...I'm also going to be picking up Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Any Harry Potter fans out there?  :)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2005, 01:14:57 AM »
One Hundred Years of Solitude is a fantastic book...I'm also going to be picking up Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Any Harry Potter fans out there?  :)

I like the movies...

faith2005

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2005, 10:29:26 AM »
one hundred years of solitude is good, but also very very strange.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2005, 01:50:07 AM »
Recently, I received my She Who Shops. So far, it's okay, but there's one thing that I don't dig at all. There appears to be an unspoken assumption throughout the book in the eyes of the main character that a light skinned black woman with long straight hair is the epitome of a beautiful black woman. Now don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of books where the main character has that perspective, but it is always clearly acknowledged that that's their individual perspective, and (usually) subsequently goes into depth about the derivatives of that perspective. However, the main character in this book hasn't done that, at least not just yet, but rather just assumes that image is universal. This is despite the fact that every other page is talking about the main characters woes of not being beautiful because she isn't light skinned with long straight hair, which is allegedly a "gift."  ::)

That mess just burns me up  >:(, but I won't put the book down just yet