Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 8898 times)

elegantpearl01

Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »
I think I am going to re-read Pimp the Story of My life by Iceberg Slim this summer.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2005, 08:15:31 PM »
Okay I finished reading Genieneve by Eric Jeroime Dickey...amazing book.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Fabyahluss

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2005, 11:54:39 PM »
I think I am going to re-read Pimp the Story of My life by Iceberg Slim this summer.

Interesting read. I enjoyed it.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2005, 03:45:27 AM »
On my list of fun summer reading includes Tolstoy's War and Peace then the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky since I enjoyed Crime and Punishment so much, some Camus- but only in the original (traductions are so lame, n'est-ce pas?  btw I am highly disappointed that you are taking the easy way out reading Wretched of the Earth, Les DamnÚs de la terre is where it is at, the purest Fanon is the most abstract)  then I figured I might as well delve into Dante's Inferno given what a crappy summer I would have had.   ::)  y'all wrong.  I was expecting to hear Francis Ray et al. ;)

Very interesting. I like everything that Camus has written. To me he was more practical than Sartre, which is where I imagine Fanon probably got the Abstract influence from

faith2005

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2005, 11:06:51 AM »
yeah mobell, i have talked about reading much lighter things. i just love toni morrison and i have really had wretched of the earth on my bookshelf for 2 years trying to get through it. i got cosmo style on friday and discovered that my style is spicy.  :D

and e, i liked crime and punishment, but i wouldn't call it fun summer reading. and i read a camus novel and i didn't get it. it was a while ago, but i remember someone getting killed because the sun was in the guy's eye. i feel like there is probably a much deeper interpretation, but that's what i took away from it. so, in other words, I will not be sitting around reading that type of stuff this summer. and i will definitely not be reding it in french!  :D

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2005, 03:47:27 PM »
On my list of fun summer reading includes Tolstoy's War and Peace then the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky since I enjoyed Crime and Punishment so much, some Camus- but only in the original (traductions are so lame, n'est-ce pas?  btw I am highly disappointed that you are taking the easy way out reading Wretched of the Earth, Les DamnÚs de la terre is where it is at, the purest Fanon is the most abstract)  then I figured I might as well delve into Dante's Inferno given what a crappy summer I would have had.   ::)  y'all wrong.  I was expecting to hear Francis Ray et al. ;)

As much as I love Camus, Fanon, and Sarte, I wouldn't consider any of it fun summer reading. Stimulating, but not the fun, light-hearted stuff I'm looking to escape with before diving into lawschool.

I'd also agree that it's all much better in French. Too bad, I spent more time learning to read French than speak it. I can't speak a word of it.

I wish they'd put out another Shopaholic book. Now that's the sort of relaxing thing I'm looking for before LS.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2005, 06:44:44 PM »
Since this is suppossed to be about "Fun Summer reads" What do ya'll think about "Harry Potter"?. Ive never read 1, but I have seen all of the movies. I thought Id ask with the Hoopla surrounding the new release this Friday/saturday

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE CAME OUT TODAY. I GOT MY UK COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

lex19

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2005, 09:08:06 AM »
As much as I love Camus, Fanon, and Sarte, I wouldn't consider any of it fun summer reading. Stimulating, but not the fun, light-hearted stuff I'm looking to escape with before diving into lawschool.

I'd also agree that it's all much better in French. Too bad, I spent more time learning to read French than speak it. I can't speak a word of it.

I wish they'd put out another Shopaholic book. Now that's the sort of relaxing thing I'm looking for before LS.

scary flashbacks to philosophy discussions when i saw sarte being mentioned....i'm glad to be done with undergrad

YoungIke

« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2005, 09:11:35 AM »
I'm reading a classic Novel called Clifford the Big Red Dog