Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 9230 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »
Has anyone read the Dante Club? It's supposed to be like DaVinci Code, Rule of Four, the Eight and Focault's Pendulum, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. If anyone else has read it and can convince me it's worth it to continue, please share.

Otherwise I'm on to The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2005, 01:41:45 AM »
It is taking me forever to get through Foucault's Pendulum. I just never feel like reading it. In the week+ since I bought it, I have made it to, like, chapter 4. For basis of comparison, it took me less than 3 hours to read the Davinci Code. Also, there are too many allusions to stuff I don't know. There's nothing worse than reading something and knowing that i should get the reference but being completely at a loss as to what work/myth/book is being referred to. God, and stuff in foreign languages that I don't know.

I feel like an illiterate when I'm reading this book, and it totally depresses me.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2005, 02:37:52 AM »
Some of my favorites;
1. Wretched of the Earth- Frantz Fanon
2. Salteaters- Toni Cade Bambara
3. Toni Morrison - everything  she’s written
4. Uncle Tom’s children- Richard Wright
5. And the Dogs Were Silent- Aime Cesaire
6. Go tell It on the Mountain- James Baldwin
7. Feodor Dosteoevsky
8. Oxherding Tale- Charles Johnson
9. A Lesson Before dying- Ernest Gaines
10. Benito Cereno- Herman Melville
11. Hadji Murad- Leo Tolstoy
12. Rails Under My Back- Jeffery Renard Allen
13. Love in the Time of Cholera- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
14. Everyday Use- Alice Walker
15. Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life- Jon Lee Anderson
16. Black Pilgrimage To Islam- Robert Dannin
17. Soledad Brother- George Jackson
18. August Wilson
19. A Rage In Harlem & Cotton Comes To Harlem- Chester Himes
20. Edwidge Danticat

faith2005

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2005, 09:55:13 AM »
oooohhhh omegaman, you have half of my favorite books/authors on your list, and the other half are things i want to read soon. I look at the wretched of the earth everyday but i haven't been able to get through it. black skin white masks was easier for me to read. everyday use is a wonderful story. i think in search of our mother's gardens was so insightful. one book i don't recognize is rails under my back. whats that about? which toni morrison is your favorite? mine is paradise, then sula/tarbaby (i can't choose btw. them). her speech to accept the nobel prize was also amazing.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »
oooohhhh omegaman, you have half of my favorite books/authors on your list, and the other half are things i want to read soon. I look at the wretched of the earth everyday but i haven't been able to get through it. black skin white masks was easier for me to read. everyday use is a wonderful story. i think in search of our mother's gardens was so insightful. one book i don't recognize is rails under my back. whats that about? which toni morrison is your favorite? mine is paradise, then sula/tarbaby (i can't choose btw. them). her speech to accept the nobel prize was also amazing.

My favorite Toni Morrisons are Tar Baby and Song of Solomon, Rails is a first time novel by this brother who is a poet, its about 2 brothers and their wives, 1 brother a pseudo-gangsta wants to kill his father for revenge, told in different voices, took the brotha 8 years to write it. Check it out. You look at wretched everyday? Wow, who's your Wali?

k-roo123

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2005, 09:59:05 PM »
James Baldwin "Another Country" (well it may be a little too heavy for the summer!)

faith2005

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2005, 04:43:43 PM »
haha  :P i look at it everyday, i don't read it. i just glance at it on my bookshelf and think. i should finish that book! maybe that'll be my goal for the end of the summer. it'll be hard since i read the dewbreaker, then switched over to essence/self and cosmo. i guess i don't want to think too much b/f school. 

i love song of solomon as well. its hard for me to choose between them after paradise, which is my favorite. some of the imagery gives me chills. women who carry swords. the twins who lived in a town worth dying for. i think she's the greatest living novelist. i have to check out rails under my back.

and lol, my wali is my daddy!  :D

My favorite Toni Morrisons are Tar Baby and Song of Solomon, Rails is a first time novel by this brother who is a poet, its about 2 brothers and their wives, 1 brother a pseudo-gangsta wants to kill his father for revenge, told in different voices, took the brotha 8 years to write it. Check it out. You look at wretched everyday? Wow, who's your Wali?

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2005, 06:17:47 PM »
haha  :P i look at it everyday, i don't read it. i just glance at it on my bookshelf and think. i should finish that book! maybe that'll be my goal for the end of the summer. it'll be hard since i read the dewbreaker, then switched over to essence/self and cosmo. i guess i don't want to think too much b/f school. 

i love song of solomon as well. its hard for me to choose between them after paradise, which is my favorite. some of the imagery gives me chills. women who carry swords. the twins who lived in a town worth dying for. i think she's the greatest living novelist. i have to check out rails under my back.

and lol, my wali is my daddy!  :D

I haven't read a novel in a minute so I think Ill re-read Paradise, I kinda skimmed over it the first time anyway. But there is also a Biography on Fanon, you might want to check out, because wretched is over the top and you get more balaned view, unfortunately in the end it probably did more harm then good, with everyone just reading and working off of the first page, as one older brother told me once about the book, that he felt it got alot of black folks killed :(

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
On my list of fun summer reading includes Tolstoy's War and Peace then the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky since I enjoyed Crime and Punishment so much, some Camus- but only in the original (traductions are so lame, n'est-ce pas?  btw I am highly disappointed that you are taking the easy way out reading Wretched of the Earth, Les Damnés de la terre is where it is at, the purest Fanon is the most abstract)  then I figured I might as well delve into Dante's Inferno given what a crappy summer I would have had.   ::)  y'all wrong.  I was expecting to hear Francis Ray et al. ;)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2005, 07:20:35 PM »
Just finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I enjoyed it thoroughly. That female dog was long though.