Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 8682 times)

faith2005

Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2005, 04:27:16 PM »
how about throwing some fiction on your list bp? i have some suggestions... :) :P

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
how about throwing some fiction on your list bp? i have some suggestions... :) :P

if it isn't written by Chinua Achebe, you have a tall order..;)  Let me hear them.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2005, 05:55:21 PM »

if it isn't written by Chinua Achebe, you have a tall order..;)  Let me hear them.

Are you more of "Things Fall Apart" or "Man of the People?"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2005, 07:18:04 PM »

Are you more of "Things Fall Apart" or "Man of the People?"

Things Fall Apart by a landslide.  That's my favorite one.  Man of the people was on point as well though.

So I'm reading Freakonomics..I had no idea that the Klu Klux Klan was started by 4 lawyers...thought that was interesting.  Oh, and the ways that teachers cheat to help their students improve their standardized test scores. 
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

nalaunto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »
All I'm reading this summer is Dean Kontz.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2005, 05:32:43 PM »
Okay, update from the book I’m reading “Freakanomics”: 

After controlling for just a few variables-including the income an education level of the child’s parents and the mother’s age at the birth of her first child-the (learning) gap between black and white children is virtually eliminated at the time the children enter school. 

-The data reveals that black children who perform poorly in school do so not because they are black but because they tend to come from low-income, low-education households.  A typical black child and white child from the same socioeconomic background, however, has the same abilities in math and reading upon entering kindergarden.

By the end of first grade, a black child is underperforming a statistically equivalent white child, and the gap continues to grow.  Why?  One answer may lie in the fact that the school attended by the typical black child is not the same school attended by the typical white child.  The typical white child attends a school that is only 6 percent black; the typical black child, meanwhile, attends a school that is about 60 percent black.  The typical black student’s school has a far higher rate of troublesome indicators…..simply not conducive to learning. 

Black students are hardly the only ones who suffer in bad schools.  White children in these schools also perform poorly.  In fact there is essentially no black-white test score gap within a bad school once you control for student’s backgrounds.  Perhaps educators and researchers are wrong to be so hung up on the black-white test score gap; the bad-school/good-school gap may be the more salient issue.

Consider this fact: the data reveals that black students in good schools don’t lose ground to their white counterparts, and  black students in good schools outperform whites in poor schools.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2005, 09:55:43 AM »
That is a great chapter and gave me a lot of new arguments for state parity in funding for school districts.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

Fabyahluss

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2005, 03:27:25 PM »
Okay, update from the book I’m reading “Freakanomics”: 

After controlling for just a few variables-including the income an education level of the child’s parents and the mother’s age at the birth of her first child-the (learning) gap between black and white children is virtually eliminated at the time the children enter school. 

-The data reveals that black children who perform poorly in school do so not because they are black but because they tend to come from low-income, low-education households.  A typical black child and white child from the same socioeconomic background, however, has the same abilities in math and reading upon entering kindergarden.

By the end of first grade, a black child is underperforming a statistically equivalent white child, and the gap continues to grow.  Why?  One answer may lie in the fact that the school attended by the typical black child is not the same school attended by the typical white child.  The typical white child attends a school that is only 6 percent black; the typical black child, meanwhile, attends a school that is about 60 percent black.  The typical black student’s school has a far higher rate of troublesome indicators…..simply not conducive to learning. 

Black students are hardly the only ones who suffer in bad schools.  White children in these schools also perform poorly.  In fact there is essentially no black-white test score gap within a bad school once you control for student’s backgrounds.  Perhaps educators and researchers are wrong to be so hung up on the black-white test score gap; the bad-school/good-school gap may be the more salient issue.

Consider this fact: the data reveals that black students in good schools don’t lose ground to their white counterparts, and  black students in good schools outperform whites in poor schools.

After reading that, I had to scroll back up sayin, "Now I know he didn't just say the title of the book was FREAKanomics.." Sorry, the title just didn't seem to fit (that chapter, at least). :D

But that was solid info, yet no surprise to me, particularly the last fact you cited.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »
Oh the name basically has to do with looking at economics in a different way....things that might seem counterintuitive or freaky..hence freakanomics.

Abevigoda, yes, that is a great chapter.  It really is a well written book.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2005, 07:22:56 PM »
Oooo, I loved A Man of the People. It's my favorite Achebe.  So powerful and dark.

But most of my summer reading so far has consisted of various magazines...yep, I'm wrong for it but it's fun! ;D

A man of the people is dark fuh real.  The way Achebe writes you feel like you are there.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006