Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 8831 times)

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2005, 04:42:24 PM »
Recently, I received my She Who Shops. So far, it's okay, but there's one thing that I don't dig at all. There appears to be an unspoken assumption throughout the book in the eyes of the main character that a light skinned black woman with long straight hair is the epitome of a beautiful black woman. Now don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of books where the main character has that perspective, but it is always clearly acknowledged that that's their individual perspective, and (usually) subsequently goes into depth about the derivatives of that perspective. However, the main character in this book hasn't done that, at least not just yet, but rather just assumes that image is universal. This is despite the fact that every other page is talking about the main characters woes of not being beautiful because she isn't light skinned with long straight hair, which is allegedly a "gift."  ::)

That mess just burns me up  >:(, but I won't put the book down just yet

I KNOW!!! I really liked the book but the main character seemed to have a lot of "color" issues that weren't really resolved or at least explored in detail by the author.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2005, 09:22:54 PM »
Recently, I received my She Who Shops. So far, it's okay, but there's one thing that I don't dig at all. There appears to be an unspoken assumption throughout the book in the eyes of the main character that a light skinned black woman with long straight hair is the epitome of a beautiful black woman. Now don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of books where the main character has that perspective, but it is always clearly acknowledged that that's their individual perspective, and (usually) subsequently goes into depth about the derivatives of that perspective. However, the main character in this book hasn't done that, at least not just yet, but rather just assumes that image is universal. This is despite the fact that every other page is talking about the main characters woes of not being beautiful because she isn't light skinned with long straight hair, which is allegedly a "gift."  ::)

That mess just burns me up  >:(, but I won't put the book down just yet

I KNOW!!! I really liked the book but the main character seemed to have a lot of "color" issues that weren't really resolved or at least explored in detail by the author.

EXACTLY. I'm like, "umm, I have NEVER felt as though my skin tone hindered me from being beautiful, so what's up with this assumption that everyone who is not light skinned is just cursed?"

But yeah, I'm a lil more than half-way through it, and it seems to be getting a lot better, although I hate the pure shallowness of the main character.

StraightUp

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2005, 11:21:43 PM »
For those of you that enjoy Horror check out The Good House by Tananarive Due, very entertaining.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2005, 02:12:18 PM »
Regal's Recommendations...

Don't Play in the Sun: One Woman's Journey Through the Color Complex by Marita Golden

Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter (highly recommended)

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by
Barack Obama

Hottentot Venus: A Novel by  Barbara Chase-Riboud

Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
by Romeo Dallaire, Foreword by Samantha Power

Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class by
Lawrence Otis Graham

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by Jim C. Collins

Black Critics and Kings by Andrew Apter

Bananas, Beaches, and Bases by Cynthia Enloe

He's Just Not That into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt

State of Fear by Michael Crichton

Tar Baby by Toni Morrison

A Problem from Hell: American and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power

The Isis Papers: The Key to the Colors by Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Robinson ( LOVE THIS BOOK)

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Robinson

The Harry Potter Series J.K Rowling

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

One Hundred Years of Solitude byGabriel García Márquez

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Native Son by Richard Wright

Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison

The Great gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. DuBois

Utopia by Thomas More

Warrior Politics by Robert Kaplan

Just Prince by Iban Zafar...

Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2005, 02:14:40 PM »
For the business savvy...My dad gave me all of these books to read and they were pretty damn good.

1. Jack- Go With Your Gut
2. The Millionaire Next Door
3. The Richest Man in Babylon
4. Lee Iacocca's Autobiography
5. The Warren Buffett Way
6. Buffett
7. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
8. Retire Young, Retire Rich
9. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
10. Masters of The Universe: The 10 Greatest Dealmakers of All Time
11. Taking Yourself To The Top
12. The 20 Characteristics of A Powerful Leader
13. The Millionaire Mind
14. The Art of War
15. How To Invest In Apartment Buildings
16. The Principles of Real Estate.....

Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2005, 06:24:30 PM »
Don't Play in the Sun was pretty good but it left me feeling really depressed. Ah, well.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2005, 02:00:35 AM »
For the business savvy...My dad gave me all of these books to read and they were pretty damn good.

1. Jack- Go With Your Gut
2. The Millionaire Next Door
3. The Richest Man in Babylon
4. Lee Iacocca's Autobiography
5. The Warren Buffett Way
6. Buffett
7. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
8. Retire Young, Retire Rich
9. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
10. Masters of The Universe: The 10 Greatest Dealmakers of All Time
11. Taking Yourself To The Top
12. The 20 Characteristics of A Powerful Leader
13. The Millionaire Mind
14. The Art of War
15. How To Invest In Apartment Buildings
16. The Principles of Real Estate.....

Regal did you really read them? I've read like half of them on your list.  Art of War was the joint.  If you like that, check out "The Prince" by Macheveli (sp).  I can't imagine you getting through the millionaire mind though, that was drudgery imo.  I thought the richest man in babylon wasn't that good either, unless  you're a 12 years old or something.  Overall a great list of books.  I just bought three books tonight: Freakanomics, Cracking the millionaire code, and Jim Cramer's real Money.  Cost me close to $80, so they better be all on point.  I'll let you guys know.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »
Yes I've read all the books I listed. I need more to read since I have a 14hr flight on monday.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »
Yes I've read all the books I listed. I need more to read since I have a 14hr flight on monday.

check out freakonomics, I'm liking it so far.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »
Finished it last month, it was great!  He has such a unique way on looking and then breaking common misconceptions on a variety of topics.  I particularly liked the Chicago-bent of some of his chapters, I know which housing projects he is talking about when he is discussing the financial dealing of gangs.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law