Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fun Summer Reads  (Read 8913 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Summer Reads
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
why doesn't it fit? we don't only read black authors you know ???

ok, i just noticed this thread is in the blsd, so the previous post doesnt really fit, considering ray bradbury is an old white dude. he is, however, a fun read
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »

ok, i just noticed this thread is in the blsd, so the previous post doesnt really fit, considering ray bradbury is an old white dude. he is, however, a fun read

hey lady.

faith2005

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2005, 10:34:21 AM »
haha, yeah blk, i thought, hmmm, whats that about? i've read ray bradbury. granted it was Fahrenheit 451 in like 8th grade. but i do know who he is.  :D

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2005, 10:40:10 AM »
good morning how are u ? :)

hey lady.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2005, 10:40:53 AM »
 :D

haha, yeah blk, i thought, hmmm, whats that about? i've read ray bradbury. granted it was Fahrenheit 451 in like 8th grade. but i do know who he is.  :D

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2005, 10:45:46 AM »

It's okay.  My suggestions were by White authors.  Just because we're Black doesn't mean we *only* read stuff by other Black people! ;) :D (As Reign pointed out.)

Welcome and feel free to post any time.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2005, 10:48:59 AM »

It's okay.  My suggestions were by White authors.  Just because we're Black doesn't mean we *only* read stuff by other Black people! ;) :D (As Reign pointed out.)

Welcome and feel free to post any time.

trust Mobell to be nice. ::)

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »
This new novel She Who Shops is a fun summer read. If you love reading about spoiled BAPs, classism, prestige-obsessed Black folks in Boston, etc. This one will do it for you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0758208553/qid=1117145324/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-8574180-0076941?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Fabyahluss

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2005, 02:24:45 AM »
A friend of mine just boughtme The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  It started out pretty slow, but we'll see how interesting it gets. It was on the New York Time's Bestseller List for an incredibly long time, and was really popular at several major bookstores for a minute too. But damn, I hate slow beginnings. If a book is really good, by the time I take my first break from reading it I should have covered a few chapters.  I fell asleep before I even got through the first chapter of The Secret Life of Bees.
:-\Still, because it is allegedly sooo good, I'll give it a few more chapters before I hang up the towel.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2005, 02:53:44 AM »
Two good books that I read recently were Memoirs of a Geisha and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  I highly recommend both.

Oh, man-- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil used to be one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I must've read it 5 or 6 times.