Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What will be your relationship status as a 1L?

Flying Solo and staying that way
 31 (13.2%)
Playing the field with the "I'm going to be a rich lawyer" line
 49 (20.9%)
Long Distance Relationship
 42 (17.9%)
In a relationship but keeping seperate pads
 28 (11.9%)
Live in Relationship
 22 (9.4%)
Engaged
 8 (3.4%)
Married
 31 (13.2%)
Married with children
 24 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Author Topic: What will be your relationship status as a 1L?  (Read 10021 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What will be your relationship status as a 1L?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 05:22:58 PM »
Congrats Jacy!!

As for me: single, and hoping to meet some cute, smart, not-ultra-conservative guys at UGA. :)

Single and fit that description to a tee.. minus the cute part..  ;D
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

lcmatl

• View Profile
    • my stats
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »
Congrats Jacy!!

As for me: single, and hoping to meet some cute, smart, not-ultra-conservative guys at UGA. :)

Hey now, give yourself some credit. :) And glad to hear you're not a neo-con. :) (Help, I'm being overrun by emoticons!)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2005, 05:52:55 PM »
Congrats Jacy!!

Hey now, give yourself some credit. :) And glad to hear you're not a neo-con. :) (Help, I'm being overrun by emoticons!)

I was actually really worried about running into a ton of neocons as well.. Im from the south, but my mother is from the northeast and my father is British, so I grew up with a bit of a different outlook than most of my friends growing up in KY.. But, I know what the bible belt is all about.. I loved living in New Orleans and I thought I'd love D.C. because the people are more progressive, but I really miss the whole southern hospitality thang (im a bit sick of the rat race lifestyle).  Anyway, Ive talked to a few people about this and I think we'll both be pleasantly surprised by the make-up of the UGA student body.

And, by the way, staying at work late SUCKS!!

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2005, 08:57:17 PM »
As of dinner time today, I will be single.  I am ending a 2 yr relationship that was not going to make it through law school.  I plan on staying single through school, with the occasional booty call ;)

I'm sorry if I come off as being nosy...but I'm just curious as to why you (or anyone else ending a long relationship before LS) may be ending your relationship. Not that this applies to you in any way, but I feel as though a few people on this forum seem to be throwing away a good thing just because they have this skewed mentality on a long distance relationship. I've heard before "Oh I can't do long distance..or..I wont have time to do a long distance thing and study..or...It won't last another 3 years, etc". I just feel like no matter how difficult it is to deal with LS and a long distance relationship, you don't just throw in the towel when you have something good going. If you don't love that other person, then it's a different story altogether.

Sorry to be a downer, but I think that if someone doesn't maintain a relationship long distance, it's because they're not as committed to the relationship as the other person is.

My husband and I are going to be spending the next three years apart, but we're not breaking up over the distance...

And yeah, you can say, we'll you're married, you've made a commitment to each other--and that's exactly my point. We've made a commitment to each other.  But you don't have to be married to make that commitment.  He and I were long distance for 5 months about 2 years ago (when we had known each other for less than a year, and 1.5 years before we were even engaged), and I have a friend who was long distance with her boyfriend (now husband) for 4 years!  FOUR YEARS with only phone calls and occasional visits...

The way I see it, if someone's ending a relationship due to distance, it's because they really don't want to keep it going...

Sorry... :'(

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »

When I get out of law school, he gets to pursue whatever dream he wants, even if it's becoming a professional video game player. . . I don't mind, I LOVE to work!)

Looks like I married the wrong girl  ;D
Attending: SMU  :=)

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2005, 09:19:42 PM »
Married, 2 kids, both working full-time.  I made it through undergrad this way, and I don't expect law school to be much different.  Of course the work will be harder, but anything can be done if you want it bad enough.
Attending: SMU  :=)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »
My long term b/f and I are moving in together right before law school, but we practically live together now.  He will also be in school, so we will both be stressed and unavailable.  I never thought I would live with a guy unless I was married, but I am not ready to get married or engaged now.  I want to wait until after law school, and don't want to be engaged the next 3 years.

So for a cheesy love story; when my dad was in LS in Florida my mom was living in Boston, neither of them had cars.  My dad used to hitch hike to Boston and back once a month and managed to graduate in the top of his class and do very well.  So I guess if there is a will there is a way.  They have been married now almost 35 years.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 11:05:51 PM »

When I get out of law school, he gets to pursue whatever dream he wants, even if it's becoming a professional video game player. . . I don't mind, I LOVE to work!)

Looks like I married the wrong girl  ;D

I totally support the video games. I didn't think I was that weird? Hell, I even buy him video games and gadgets. You should see they types of things we registered for our wedding . . . RAM, external hard drives, iSights, etc. It's just the type of couple we are. Plus, he's so cute when he's all entrenched in the game! (Now if only I could win every now and then.)

lcmatl

• View Profile
    • my stats
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 08:18:14 AM »
Congrats Jacy!!

I was actually really worried about running into a ton of neocons as well.. Im from the south, but my mother is from the northeast and my father is British, so I grew up with a bit of a different outlook than most of my friends growing up in KY.. But, I know what the bible belt is all about.. I loved living in New Orleans and I thought I'd love D.C. because the people are more progressive, but I really miss the whole southern hospitality thang (im a bit sick of the rat race lifestyle).  Anyway, Ive talked to a few people about this and I think we'll both be pleasantly surprised by the make-up of the UGA student body.

And, by the way, staying at work late SUCKS!!

I, too, grew up in the South (but in Atlanta, and I went to a progressive school, so it doesn't really count). The hospitality is great, and it's not just a cliche. And I think you're right about the UGA Law student body. Plus, Athens is a pretty liberal town.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 09:37:34 AM »
Ok.. back to the topic at hand.. I will be a single man when law school starts.. As many of you on the board probably already know, I broke up with (read "got dumped") by my girlfriend of 3.5 yrs. about 4 months ago.. Im actually glad it happened when it did.. Moving in together (about a yr. ago) really killed our relationship.. I think being single in law school will not only help me focus, but allow me the opportunity to really let loose on the weekends.. A serious relationship is HARD work, and not being in one.. especially when tons of gorgeous women are in the same town as you (like lcmatl  ;D).. should be a GREAT experience..

To those trying to keep a relationship together during law school, especially those of you who arent married or engaged, I wish you the BEST of luck!!