Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What will be your relationship status as a 1L?

Flying Solo and staying that way
 31 (13.2%)
Playing the field with the "I'm going to be a rich lawyer" line
 49 (20.9%)
Long Distance Relationship
 42 (17.9%)
In a relationship but keeping seperate pads
 28 (11.9%)
Live in Relationship
 22 (9.4%)
Engaged
 8 (3.4%)
Married
 31 (13.2%)
Married with children
 24 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Author Topic: What will be your relationship status as a 1L?  (Read 9896 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What will be your relationship status as a 1L?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 01:11:58 PM »
I posted this on the Georgia thread, but I'll repost here since a couple people have asked:

I knew he was surprising me with something special, but I just thought we'd be going to see a matinee of Phantom of the Opera or something.  He was all insistant on leaving early, so we left his place just before noon, which confused me since the matinee didn't start until 2.  I figured he just wanted to get drinks or something before hand.

So we get off the T a stop earlier than I thought we would, and we walked into the Public Gardens.  He sat me down on a bench, which is when I started getting nervous butterflies.  I wondered why he was sitting me down on a bench to give me theater tickets.  The thought of a proposal flashed through my mind, but then I thought, "Nah, couldn't be."  He said "The first part of your surprise is I got tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera."  I was like, 'Yay, I thought that might be what we were doing today!"  I was still wondering why I was sitting on this bench though.  Then, he said, "You have to do somethign for me first."  and reached into his pocket, and then I totally realized what was going on.  I got all teary eyed and shakey.  I don't even remember what he said except for the ending of "Will you marry me?"  This was all witnessed by a park ranger and a group full of elderly women who all applauded when I said yes.

Then we went to a bar around the corner from the theater and had a glass of champagne and got the cell phones out to call everyone.  We saw the show, and then met a bunch of our friends at a pub/bar down the street for dinner and hours of drinks and celebration.

So that's my engagement story!

On a side note, concerning living situations, we've gotten an apartment we love in Atlanta, but he won't be joining me until December (he's finishing up a degree here in Boston).  We'll be hopefully paying most of the bills with his salary, but now that we're going to be planning a wedding at some point, I forsee taking about the max in loans for school and trying to stretch those as far as possible in order to save up for that!

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 01:17:17 PM »
My GF of 2 1/2 yrs and I both moved home this past year until I figured out where I'd be going to LS. It's looking like we're going to be a little under 3 hours apart...which is a hell of a lot better than the 6 hour long distance we've endured this year. It's looking like she's going to stay at home for another year and then possibly move out with me after my first year.
Realistically, how often do you think we'll be able to see eachother. I think it's fairly realistic that we see eachother 3 weekends/month, and that I'll do the 3 hr trip once/twice a month. I'm thinking I'll study during the day on friday, drive in on friday night...study saturday morning, then have the night off and then head back early on sunday and study for the rest of the day/evening.
Does anyone think that my outlook on this whole situation is too naive?

lsantos623

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 01:21:20 PM »
As of dinner time today, I will be single.  I am ending a 2 yr relationship that was not going to make it through law school.  I plan on staying single through school, with the occasional booty call ;)
CLS or Boalt?????

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »
If your schedule allows that (studying on Friday - meaning not a lot of class Fridays) I think that might be do-able.  I'm anticipating studying Friday night, so I can have all of Saturdays free.  This will change with plans, obviously, and may get switched around week to week.  My general hope is that I'll be able to give about 1 entire day to my fiance a week, plus having dinner with him each night.  This all goes out the window for the month before finals though, but as long as your g/f is ok with that, I think you'll be fine and can make it work.

My GF of 2 1/2 yrs and I both moved home this past year until I figured out where I'd be going to LS. It's looking like we're going to be a little under 3 hours apart...which is a hell of a lot better than the 6 hour long distance we've endured this year. It's looking like she's going to stay at home for another year and then possibly move out with me after my first year.
Realistically, how often do you think we'll be able to see eachother. I think it's fairly realistic that we see eachother 3 weekends/month, and that I'll do the 3 hr trip once/twice a month. I'm thinking I'll study during the day on friday, drive in on friday night...study saturday morning, then have the night off and then head back early on sunday and study for the rest of the day/evening.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 01:28:47 PM »
As of dinner time today, I will be single.  I am ending a 2 yr relationship that was not going to make it through law school.  I plan on staying single through school, with the occasional booty call ;)

I'm sorry if I come off as being nosy...but I'm just curious as to why you (or anyone else ending a long relationship before LS) may be ending your relationship. Not that this applies to you in any way, but I feel as though a few people on this forum seem to be throwing away a good thing just because they have this skewed mentality on a long distance relationship. I've heard before "Oh I can't do long distance..or..I wont have time to do a long distance thing and study..or...It won't last another 3 years, etc". I just feel like no matter how difficult it is to deal with LS and a long distance relationship, you don't just throw in the towel when you have something good going. If you don't love that other person, then it's a different story altogether.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »
Engaged, as of yesterday!  :)

Thats AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! ;D
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »

I'm sorry if I come off as being nosy...but I'm just curious as to why you (or anyone else ending a long relationship before LS) may be ending your relationship. Not that this applies to you in any way, but I feel as though a few people on this forum seem to be throwing away a good thing just because they have this skewed mentality on a long distance relationship. I've heard before "Oh I can't do long distance..or..I wont have time to do a long distance thing and study..or...It won't last another 3 years, etc". I just feel like no matter how difficult it is to deal with LS and a long distance relationship, you don't just throw in the towel when you have something good going. If you don't love that other person, then it's a different story altogether.

Could you please call my ex-girlfriend who broke up with me a month ago for those reasons! See if you can change her mind. I give up. Three hours isn't that far! :P

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »

I've done the LD relationship thing before...didn't work for me, but I certainly am not going to say it won't work for others.  However, I think if you have any intention/hope of ending up in the top 25% or better in your class, then there's no way in hell you're going to be able to spend 3 entire weekends each month with your SO.  I think you can pull off 1 entire day/night free per week if you study in the rest of your free time.  So you could leave friday night and come back saturday night, then do your weekend work on sundays.  I think it's going to be very difficult.  But...if you don't care where you end up in your class, or it turns out you have a natural knack and are brilliant at LS exams, you might just be able to spend fri-sun with your gf and still be ok.
You can see my numbers at LSN

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 04:16:25 PM »
I posted this on the Georgia thread, but I'll repost here since a couple people have asked:

I knew he was surprising me with something special, but I just thought we'd be going to see a matinee of Phantom of the Opera or something.  He was all insistant on leaving early, so we left his place just before noon, which confused me since the matinee didn't start until 2.  I figured he just wanted to get drinks or something before hand.

So we get off the T a stop earlier than I thought we would, and we walked into the Public Gardens.  He sat me down on a bench, which is when I started getting nervous butterflies.  I wondered why he was sitting me down on a bench to give me theater tickets.  The thought of a proposal flashed through my mind, but then I thought, "Nah, couldn't be."  He said "The first part of your surprise is I got tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera."  I was like, 'Yay, I thought that might be what we were doing today!"  I was still wondering why I was sitting on this bench though.  Then, he said, "You have to do somethign for me first."  and reached into his pocket, and then I totally realized what was going on.  I got all teary eyed and shakey.  I don't even remember what he said except for the ending of "Will you marry me?"  This was all witnessed by a park ranger and a group full of elderly women who all applauded when I said yes.

Then we went to a bar around the corner from the theater and had a glass of champagne and got the cell phones out to call everyone.  We saw the show, and then met a bunch of our friends at a pub/bar down the street for dinner and hours of drinks and celebration.

So that's my engagement story!

On a side note, concerning living situations, we've gotten an apartment we love in Atlanta, but he won't be joining me until December (he's finishing up a degree here in Boston).  We'll be hopefully paying most of the bills with his salary, but now that we're going to be planning a wedding at some point, I forsee taking about the max in loans for school and trying to stretch those as far as possible in order to save up for that!

yay! so exciting!  best wishes!

lcmatl

• View Profile
    • my stats
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 05:09:28 PM »
Congrats Jacy!!

As for me: single, and hoping to meet some cute, smart, not-ultra-conservative guys at UGA. :)