Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs. USD  (Read 684 times)

bucy

• View Profile
BC vs. USD
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »
i'm struggling between  boston college and u. san diego.  i know that bc has the better rep and probably program, but aim to end up on the west coast.  do you think the intangible network developed at each school is that important?  from what i understand, most students at schools in teh east (BC) stay in the east.  any advice appreciated.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BC vs. USD
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 07:22:43 PM »
Is there a money offer from USD thrown in the mix?

It isnt that west coast firms would look down upon a BC degree ( I assume) it is just NO west coast firms are gonna travel to BC to interview. You would have to contact them and fly your butt out to Cali to interview. At least that is my perception.

And "west coast" is a little different than "San Diego"

if you want to work in San Diego specifically you cant go wrong with USD (especially with $$)

if it is Nor Cal or LA you are aiming for, that is a different story..
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

bucy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »
there is money from usd (17k)- but money is not a major concern.  i'd rather invest in the best opportunity avaliable (this is a long term deal).  i'm certainly not oppossed to working in san diego, but don't know if i want it to be my only option.  i know i don't want to be back east long term.

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 08:59:17 PM »
do you have any other west coast options? if u got into bc and got money from usd, there shouldnt be any shortage of good west coast programs willing to accept you i.e loyola or possibly one of the uc schools. I think those would be more attractive options than usd.

I would pick BC over USD unless I wasnted to work in SD.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 09:09:55 PM »
i THINK you would have just a difficult getting a job outside of san diego coming from USD as you would getting a job anywhere in cali from bc...
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

bucy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »
do you have any other west coast options? if u got into bc and got money from usd, there shouldnt be any shortage of good west coast programs willing to accept you i.e loyola or possibly one of the uc schools. I think those would be more attractive options than usd.

i got into both loyola and pepperdine. waitlisted at USC & am not from CA so ruled the uc system out.  i'm not banking on the waitlist & liked the feel at USD more than the other 2 schools (i also feel loyola, pdine, and usd are relatively close in prestige).

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 08:36:38 PM »

i got into both loyola and pepperdine. waitlisted at USC & am not from CA so ruled the uc system out.  i'm not banking on the waitlist & liked the feel at USD more than the other 2 schools (i also feel loyola, pdine, and usd are relatively close in prestige).

well i would go with loyola over usd because it a more portable degree in cali. With a degree from USD, you have a lot of doors open to you but you'll be going up against ucla, usc, loyola, and pepp grads if you want to pentrate the LA market. A loyola grad will only have to go up against usd grads to penetrate the sd market. But I guess you should go to USD if you enjoyed the feel there. It will still open a lot of doors for you and ultimately, you'll want to be happy wherever you are at for the next 3 years.