Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TestMasters of PowerScore?  (Read 556 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
TestMasters of PowerScore?
« on: May 21, 2005, 12:18:37 AM »
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out whether I should sign up for TM or PS.  I'm already using LRB and LGB and I like the method.  However, I've also been hearing good things about TM as well.  I'll be taking the sessions in Arizona, Tempe.

Can someone tell me which one i should take and why?

Thanks

toasted

Re: TestMasters of PowerScore?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 12:30:19 AM »
im inclined to say TM because they have more hours and their instructors generally get paid more.  in tempe, AZ, you also wont have a large classroom.

shai

• AOL Instant Messenger - darksideofkali
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 12:49:14 AM »
they're both the same. take the cheaper of the two, or buy the books offered by powerscore and purchase as many real lsat tests as you can buy to practice on, and you're good to go.
the monadnack way

joonmpark

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 01:32:11 AM »
I've said it before; I'll say it again.  TestMasters, w/o/e.

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=33832&mc=19&forum_id=2

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:50:58 AM »
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

© 2004-2012, Thou

joonmpark

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:29:57 AM »
I've said it before; I'll say it again.  TestMasters, w/o/e.

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=33832&mc=19&forum_id=2

I met a guy who is currently taking a Testmasters course who is not thrilled about his instructor.  He said the instructor does not always give helpful explanations to problems and can sometimes have a hard time keeping the classís attention.  Iím not saying this to put down Testmasters as a whole, Iím just trying point out that even Testmasters instructors can vary significantly in quality.  I have yet to read the claim that TM and PS differ significantly in methods.  That xoxo post about how instructors are selected seems like a good way to increase the likelihood you are going to get a good instructor but there are no guarantees (By the way, I defiantly think it is a good philosophy to spend good money to get good instructors).

All this to say that if you have it narrowed down to two companies, itís in your best interest to contact the potential instructors and ask questions to see if you can get a sense of what it is going to be like to be a student in their class.  Testmasters may have 80% great instructors 20% mediocre while Powerscore is 20%/80% but you just might be in a situation where youíre choosing between the mediocre TM instructor and the great PS instructor. 

Furthermore, personality compatibility can be a big factor.  You might have an instructor who has the most LSAT insight a person can have, but if you canít stand to be in a room with that instructor for more than 5 minutes, youíre better off taking a class with an instructor who you really like but only has above average insight. 

Instructor research is very important!

You make a valid point.  I didn't really attend class after the first couple of weeks, deciding instead to pour through the material on my own accord (by that time, I felt I had the foundation necessary to continue w/o the instructor's lectures).  I suppose one of TM's strongest points involves their categorization of question types, thoroughness of logic drills, and seemingly endless supply of LSAT material (the last which many courses offer, I'm sure).  However, in respect to instructors, if that method proves to most insightful, the quality of the instructor is paramount.  I've heard endless praises for TM's founder, Robin Singh, and his amazing teaching ability.  He, of course, is exceptionally well qualified.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 01:01:21 AM »
It really comes down to the instructor. When I took powerscore, we had multiple instructors over the length of the course (original instructor got a promotion/longer hr's, no time to teach us); the original instructor was allright, but the replacment was better; scores went way up afterward, better instructor generally. My old roommate took Testmasters, but had a "bad" instructor, he believes that it really had an effect on his LSAT score.

Take whoever has the better instructor. If there is no real difference, go with cost/schedule...
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.