Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I got a summer job for the next 2 months... I'm a COP! haha  (Read 647 times)

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
yep.  I got my badge/uniform/gun today along with what looks like an outline of a criminal law class in a three ring binder.  Just like that, I'm a cop.  It's a hell of a summer job.  How much weight does everyone think this will carry on a resume?

BAFF213

Re: So I got a summer job for the next 2 months... I'm a COP! haha
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 12:11:19 AM »
that's pretty sweet - they don't know youre leaving do they?

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 02:56:05 AM »
that's pretty sweet - they don't know youre leaving do they?

That's the strange thing... I told them that I'd be leaving for law school in Aug. and they didnt seem to care and hired me anyway.  I guess its because they're so shorthanded.

BAFF213

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:01:45 PM »

That's the strange thing... I told them that I'd be leaving for law school in Aug. and they didnt seem to care and hired me anyway.  I guess its because they're so shorthanded.

Nice

ccorsi

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:04:58 PM »
yep.  I got my badge/uniform/gun today along with what looks like an outline of a criminal law class in a three ring binder.  Just like that, I'm a cop.  It's a hell of a summer job.  How much weight does everyone think this will carry on a resume?

I don't know where you live, but it is a hell of a lot harder to be a cop in NJ.

You have to take lots of tests, have your background checked out, and then you go on lists to be hired.

They certainly don't hand guns out here like candy bars.

C2

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 12:14:23 PM »
To be a cop here in FLA where I live takes at least 6-8 weeks of background, testing etc as well....where do you live?!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »
I live in Louisiana, but I have 4 yrs military, and a BS, I have several friends that a cops, and a federal secret security clearance, so I'm sure that made it easier.

And I suppose it dont hurt that the HR guy is a former marine like myself

I did the normal background check that took a week, did the psyc. eval to check if I'm a looney bin and the standard urnie screen, and that was that.

As far as the handing out guns like candy bars, I'm a three time pistol expert in the marines and a certified marksmanship instructor, so I'm a minimal liability with a firearm.

For anyone that cares, I requested to work in the Courthouse, and now I'm a bailiff, so I get to pick the brains of the attys, the 5 state judges we have, and their clerks. 
I love it.  I couldnt ask for a better 0L job!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 09:36:20 AM »
wow - that's pretty cool! 

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 07:06:23 PM »
And as an added bonus, 3 of the 5 judges went to the law school that I will be attending...