Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stetson University or Saint Louis University?  (Read 1735 times)

Bennett

• View Profile
Stetson University or Saint Louis University?
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
Hello, I am trying to decide between attending SLU or Stetson in the fall.  I would like to eventually practice in Florida.  However, Stetson is only a Tier 3 school and I believe SLU is ranked #73. Thoughts?   

runner8

• At the Cape of Good Hope
    • View Profile
Re: Stetson University or Saint Louis University?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 10:49:33 PM »
Those two schools were my last two choices. It was a really hard decision because SLU has the top rated healthcare law program.  I chose Stetson because they gave me a full ride.  I hope I made the right decision...Apparently Stetson has a good rep. in FLA.
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western
Rejected: BU

tegra8

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:59:03 PM »
if you want to practice in Florida, it is a no brainer.... Stetson.

They have a very good rep all around Florida

ASNetlenov

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 09:21:26 AM »
I've got a friend at Stetson. He likes it but had some trouble finding a 2L summer job. He says the degree does well enough in Florida, which is unfortunate for him because he wants to come back to Virginia, so take his feelings with a grain of salt.

Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 10:00:57 AM »
Thanks for all of your input.  Unfortunately, Stetson did not offer any $$$.  Is Stetson worth full price??? Does a SLU law degree travel outside of the midwest?

DodgerLaw

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 10:09:56 AM »
Did St. Louis offer money?

Some schools are better than others about the ability to earn scholarship money for 2L and 3L if you do well. How are the two schools in this regard? What is your confidence level about your ability to be a high-ranked student at either of the two?

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 10:12:55 AM »
If SLU is going to be cheaper, it just makes sense to me to take the more portable degree at a lower price, especially if you're interested in health law.  There seems to be a reasonable amount of alums outside the Midwest, including DC.  

You should try contacting SLU about their Alumni Admissions Network and see if they can put you in touch with an alum in FL.  Also, there are quite a few listed on Martindale-Hubbell.
Fed gov't atty

ASNetlenov

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 10:54:16 AM »
I would not count on either degree's travelling too well outside its area unless you have some connections.

Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 11:30:59 AM »
Thanks everyone. I am confident that I will do well at either school.  SLU did offer $$$.  I plan on visiting SLU this Friday.  I am not going to be able to make it to Stetson before my decision but Stetson looks great from the PICs.  I am just  not sure its worth paying more $$$ for a tier 3 school.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 11:45:42 AM »
stetson is beautiful and so close to the beach! (not that you will have much time for that  ;))...just SO expensive.
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.