Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC Rules  (Read 802 times)

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
NYC Rules
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:07:08 PM »
This is a conclusion I arrived at after going to visit U. Miami Southeastern and St. Thomas.  I got a full ride at St. Thomas and accepted to U. Miami and Southeastern.

The pace of life there is too slow.  Even to get your change or be involved in any type of business transaction.  NYC rules i have been cursing this city out for years but you dont really realize how much business and energy is involved here until you go to another state or city.  I also got accepted to U. San Diego Pepperdine and Loyola.  Unfortuately I only applyed to New York Law / Brooklyn College and Hofstra here in NYC.

In at New York Law and i plan on going there regardless of the price.  NYC RULES.

Wish i took the lsat earlier i should have been able to get into fordham though my gpa is rather weak comparitively.

Anyone else going to New York Law.

LSAT = 163 feb 05 only time taking it
GPA 3.33
NYU CAS double major (poli sci / philosophy)

Aida7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYC Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:08:31 PM »
Hey
I totally know what you mean.  I also went to NYU (CAS) but am from FL, and NYC is def. the place to be.  I too got into NYLS, and I got waitlisted at Brooklyn.  I am seriously contemplating going to NYLS because it's in the city, so I feel you. 8) If it's where you want to end up, its prob your best bet. Good luck.
NYU 3.4/150
in @ U.Kentucky ($$), NYLS ($$), Nova, Pace($), Syracuse, In at UF (for fall) off waitlist 8/20/05
WL @ Miami, Brooklyn, UF, Miss, Albany
hold @ FSU
rej @ UGA, W&L,

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 09:16:22 PM »
Yeah, i totally f!cked up on that point. I was born in Brooklyn and lived here all my life. I even went to college in NYC, so i thought it was time for a change. I did not apply to any schools in NYC, and i think it was a big mistake. I know believe that i could have gotten into Cardoza/Brooklyn. Now i am faced with the prospect of going to school in Cali, and i am starting to see how much i will miss my city. There is no place like NYC. Plain and simple.

I'll have to deal with it though, but i'm a little envious of all the people who are coming to NYC to go  to law school.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 05:56:45 PM »
Hey
I totally know what you mean.  I also went to NYU (CAS) but am from FL, and NYC is def. the place to be.  I too got into NYLS, and I got waitlisted at Brooklyn.  I am seriously contemplating going to NYLS because it's in the city, so I feel you. 8) If it's where you want to end up, its prob your best bet. Good luck.

I just rode down to New York Law School to see the "campus".  Its impressive the library looks a bit lacking being that its only 4 stories but regardless most of the information we need we can get via Lexus Nexus.

New York City is the place to be as far as business is concerned.   Again referencing the pace of life and firms will see that you went to NYU / New York Law School or Brookyln Law school and realize that you are a new yorker and someone who has a pace condusive to doing well for the firm or being a good attorney.  Realize however that your LSAT score or the law school you get your degree from doesnt necessarily mean you will be a good attorney.  Though the fact that you are from the area should give you a leg up on your first job.

I anticipate employers seeing your resume will discern that this individual is from nyc and understands our pace of business.

GPA 3.33

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
Yeah, i totally f!cked up on that point. I was born in Brooklyn and lived here all my life. I even went to college in NYC, so i thought it was time for a change. I did not apply to any schools in NYC, and i think it was a big mistake. I know believe that i could have gotten into Cardoza/Brooklyn. Now i am faced with the prospect of going to school in Cali, and i am starting to see how much i will miss my city. There is no place like NYC. Plain and simple.

I'll have to deal with it though, but i'm a little envious of all the people who are coming to NYC to go  to law school.

Did you visit the schools outside of new york previous to giving your seat deposit?

I was really impressived with Nova Southeastern even more so then U. Miami.  Again its not NYC, the law students looked serious as far as wearing suits and they did well in the mock court session i witnessed.  Still its not NYC, this place f*cking rules as far as life and business.  We need to realize that being an attorney encompasses business and NYC is the place for business.  Ft Lauderdale and Miami have about 2 blocks in the downtown area which are even close or reminiscent to the 15 mile long and 6 mile wide island of Manhattan.

Manhattan is where you make money.

GPA 3.33

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 06:34:51 PM »
Hey

Have you checked out brooklyn law school.  I'm still waiting to hear from them and depending on the outcome of my application (i applyed really late though my lsat and gpa make their median) i would maybe go there.  New York Law School may not be rated as high, but reserve your seat.  If you do really well at New York Law School employeers will seek you.  Even though they are 158-152 3.5-2.9 its whether you are "good" not the school.  I know this girl who just did really well at New York Law School and her first job is at 140k.

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 06:42:02 PM »

Did you visit the schools outside of new york previous to giving your seat deposit?

I was planning to visit once i got accepted so i could make a decision. I was certain that i should get out of NYC at least for a LITTLE WHILE. I didn't want to be like some guy who's never left the place he was born. I couldn't visit Cali cause it was too far and i had no money.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse