Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hiring a LSAT tutor... any advice...?  (Read 1908 times)

Capone

• View Profile
Hiring a LSAT tutor... any advice...?
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:13:23 PM »
Guys, I am set to have my LAST Princeton review class next tuesday and have decided to have a tutor when the class finishes. I think the class was a waste of money all along and i should have gone with the tutor right from the start since in the class there might be times when you understand things easily and need to move on and vice versa, when other people get the question but your the only one who doesnt, but the instructor moves ahead without spending too much time on that question. Also, the class goes over alot of the same material.... for instance if your a master on the logic games then you certainly dont want to waste your time in class having the instructor going over them... having a tutor gives you the private attention you need at your own PACE.

Saying all this, LSAT tutors can easily be 150-200 bucks an hour..

Where can i find a cheap LSAT tutor?

The best one i have found so far is the powerscore 17 hours of tutoring for 1100 bucks.... any additional hour beyond that 17 is 50 bucks on hour... not that bad... but please give me some suggestions and some of your own expereicnes with tutors...

Later

Hazzy

• View Profile
Re: Hiring a LSAT tutor... any advice...?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 08:34:40 PM »
I finish my Princeton Review class next tuesday as well.  It was a large waste of money.  The class went at a snail's pace. 

My PR teacher did offer free "office hours" help though.  He met with some people just about every day.  I met with him just once though. 

You should check before or after this Saturday's practice test if your instructor does that. 

I don't think the tutoring helps me any.  I just have to sit down, put the time in, and figure it out on my own.  Oh well.  I've ordered a lot of the preptests to go over and will probably take the LSAT in October.  The only time I improve is when I study the LSAT on my own.  The Princeton Review class time didn't seem to help me except for the group-therapy-type atmosphere.  It was nice knowing a group of people going through the stress of the LSAT.   

If your dead set on getting a tutor you and you think your PR teacher is any good, you could hire him/her. 

Good luck.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:11:06 AM »
Glad I didn't take PR...after all, why pay over a grand for group therapy, when I can find any kind of lsat/law school stress for free, right here on lsd!

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:19:35 AM »
Jacy, I dont know what city you're in but if you're in a fairly large one, you could check out craigslist.com. That's where I found my tutor. He is a former PR/Kaplan teacher who is now a lawyer and he is awesome. After one two-hour session it was like the lights just came on for me with logic games! He charges less than half what those other places charge. There are tons of people on craigslist offering LSAT tutoring in NYC and Boston. Give it a look.

Capone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 04:18:45 AM »
Jacy, I dont know what city you're in but if you're in a fairly large one, you could check out craigslist.com. That's where I found my tutor. He is a former PR/Kaplan teacher who is now a lawyer and he is awesome. After one two-hour session it was like the lights just came on for me with logic games! He charges less than half what those other places charge. There are tons of people on craigslist offering LSAT tutoring in NYC and Boston. Give it a look.

any in chicago?

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 10:15:09 AM »
Capone, here's a link. If it doesn't work you can go to craigslist.com and do a search by Chicago. Good luck. Princeton and Kaplan are rip-offs.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&catAbbreviation=lss&group=B&type_search=&query=lsat&cat=81

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 10:25:56 AM »
i think a tutor is a waste of time and money.  buy the best prep books available, buy every  actual LSAT and pay your dues.

i have not seen anyone on this board who has pursued that strategy and not reliablly hit the mid 160s or better.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 11:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Nice to know tutors are relative cheap in Boston.  I've found I don't really need one.  I've been self motivated, and aside from the PS weekend course, I'm finding that using the logic games bible and prep tests are working well for me.  I'd of course like to be doing a bit better, and hitting over 170 regularly, but I'm not complaining.  I'm not sure a tutor would help me.  But I'll let other people know to look if it comes up!

Ginatio

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 02:14:29 PM »
If anyone in Philly needs a tutor, now that I'm being laid off for the summer, I'd be happy to do it for $30 an hour.

The benefit of having a tutor is that, if the tutor him/herself scored high on the LSAT, they know what steps you can take to increase your score. I, personally, would give you a prep-test and then custom form a schedule to address what I deem to be your weaknesses. At the end of each test, we would review your incorrect answers and the logic behind them, as well as strategies you can take to keep your mind focused.

All the testing supplies would be free of charge, of course. And note that I do not endorse any dietary supplements.  ;D

Capone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 03:28:33 PM »
Capone, here's a link. If it doesn't work you can go to craigslist.com and do a search by Chicago. Good luck. Princeton and Kaplan are rip-offs.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&catAbbreviation=lss&group=B&type_search=&query=lsat&cat=81

thanks scurr. Do I need to register with craigslist to reply to those people or can i just take thier craiglist emails and contact them directly?