Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone here going to USC?  (Read 891 times)

lawst

• View Profile
Anyone here going to USC?
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
Now that seat deposits are in shouldn't we be hearing something about housing and tuition deadlines?

tofccc

• View Profile
Re: Anyone here going to USC?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 04:47:55 PM »
I am waiting to get something from them too. I haven't heard a peep since I sent my deposit and pic. In fact, I had to call them to confirm it arrived in time. They said more info would arrive in June though and the month just started :)

Do you live in California already? If no where are you moving from? I am coming from NM.

lawst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:45:11 PM »
I am waiting to get something from them too. I haven't heard a peep since I sent my deposit and pic. In fact, I had to call them to confirm it arrived in time. They said more info would arrive in June though and the month just started :)

Do you live in California already? If no where are you moving from? I am coming from NM.

I live in the LA area. I went to UCLA, graduated in 2003, and then took a year off to recharge before law school. I know the LA area pretty well if you have any questions.

tofccc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:44:28 PM »
How scary is it to live by the school? I think for convenience and saving money, this is the way to go for at least the first year, but I have no clue what neighborhoods are right there and if they are in fact liveable...

lawst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:43:19 PM »
How scary is it to live by the school? I think for convenience and saving money, this is the way to go for at least the first year, but I have no clue what neighborhoods are right there and if they are in fact liveable...

As much as the university may try to slant it, the neighborhood is NOT nice, nor safe. Crime is high. However, if you stay within a mile radius of the school USC Police maintain a strong presence. They hang out around the establishments along Figueroa to make sure everything is OK. On campus things used to get a little sketchy at night (gangbangers coming to play basketball), but from what I understand now, they close the gates make an effort to expel any shady characters.

Housing-wise, there are a few nice complexes just north of campus. A large majority of returning undergraduates snap up these buildings. They have gated parking and are fairly well kept up. If you go to the south or the east, you are out on your own. Many students choose to live toward the west (when you head to the west in LA things get nicer) and commute to school. There is a variety of housing at variable rates to be found if you are willing to commute in. So basically, either you live on or directly next to campus, or far away- the adjacent neighborhoods are only for the most daring.

tofccc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »
Do you know the names of any of those complexes north of campus? I am heading out for a house-hunting visit next week and feel like I don't even know where to start! I think USC has the WORST housing office/web site out there. UCLA's site is so much nicer and I have to wonder why.... Thanks for the helpful info so far though :)