Law School Discussion

In Michigan off the waitlist- now more confused than ever! ND or Michigan??

You see, another things that's kinda worrying me is the deadline for the ND deposit is next week, and I don't wanna turn them down and then not be able to afford Mich.

My credit is kinda s$#t and I don't know if I'll even be able to take out the loans necessary to pay for Mich, whereas wit the ND fellowship and the Stafford Loans, I'm covered.

Hate this decision!  It sucks (though I am quite thankful)

I think you are just looking for a reason to turn down Michigan and go to ND because this is what you really want to do.  You will be able to get the loans for UM, don't worry about that.  If you want to go to ND just go and don't look back.  This board never advises people to go to the lower ranked school.  I even get the feeling that people didn't read anything past Michigan vs. ND.  This board never considers location preference, money, or anything besides rankings when giving advice. 

Here is a thread about taking the lower ranked school that you might find helpful:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,31514.0.html

i guess i'm confused as to why you stayed on the michigan waitlist if you want to go to ND.  i withdrew from all of the waitlists that i was on since i knew that if any of them called, i wouldn't go there over michigan.

if you want to go to ND, go to ND.  i don't think it is true that people on this board always tell you to go to the higher ranked school.  (please see burgh's question on michigan vs. northwestern.)  i think the disparity in opportunities coming out of michigan vs. notre dame is large enough that people say michigan because they want you to have as many options coming out of law school as possible.  if you don't care about biglaw, federal clerkships, prestigious public interest work, etc., then don't worry about it. (i'm not saying you may not be able to get these jobs from ND, but it will take much more work.)

there is a large going-to-michigan contingent on this board and i've been impressed (as i was when i visited) about how excited they are to attend michigan.  although you loved notre dame, there is also something great about michigan that has all of these people talking!

good luck with your decision!   

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • View Profile
    • Email
You see, another things that's kinda worrying me is the deadline for the ND deposit is next week, and I don't wanna turn them down and then not be able to afford Mich.

My credit is kinda s$#t and I don't know if I'll even be able to take out the loans necessary to pay for Mich, whereas wit the ND fellowship and the Stafford Loans, I'm covered.

Hate this decision!  It sucks (though I am quite thankful)

I think you are just looking for a reason to turn down Michigan and go to ND because this is what you really want to do.  You will be able to get the loans for UM, don't worry about that.  If you want to go to ND just go and don't look back.  This board never advises people to go to the lower ranked school.  I even get the feeling that people didn't read anything past Michigan vs. ND.  This board never considers location preference, money, or anything besides rankings when giving advice. 

Here is a thread about taking the lower ranked school that you might find helpful:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,31514.0.html
I say find a way to visit Michigan.  I know it's summer, but just walk around and try and talk to whoever you see.  Just take some time to get a feel for the place.

(As much as my deep, intense, and personal hatred for Notre Dame and all it stands for pains me to say this) I say go to ND.  Sure, you're turning down a T14, but it's for a great school, one which, across the board, has some of the strongest alumni connections.  Michigan on the diploma may open more doors, but ND grads, from any school in the university, are intensly loyal, and there's no end to how far they will go to bat for one of their own.  Michigan may open doors, but ND isn't exactly slamming many shut.  Plus, with out a crushing debtload, you'll feel less pressure, and possibly more comfortable if you don't choose the BigLaw job.

Don't count out money from Michigan.  The worst thing anyone can say is no.  Ask them to match the offer from "another highly ranked law school."  Explain Michigan is your dream school but you just don't feel that you'll be able to afford it.  I've asked for almost everything possible from my schools, and been turned down for almost everything I've asked for, but it hasn't stopped me.

jdw112

This is not true. The members of this board often suggest that poster take a lesser ranked school. However, only when it makes sense. When there are real consequences to selecting a lower ranked school, it is best to bring them to light.

This board never advises people to go to the lower ranked school.  I even get the feeling that people didn't read anything past Michigan vs. ND.  This board never considers location preference, money, or anything besides rankings when giving advice. 

lawschoolfeign

• What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
i guess i'm confused as to why you stayed on the michigan waitlist if you want to go to ND.  i withdrew from all of the waitlists that i was on since i knew that if any of them called, i wouldn't go there over michigan.

if you want to go to ND, go to ND.  i don't think it is true that people on this board always tell you to go to the higher ranked school.  (please see burgh's question on michigan vs. northwestern.)  i think the disparity in opportunities coming out of michigan vs. notre dame is large enough that people say michigan because they want you to have as many options coming out of law school as possible.  if you don't care about biglaw, federal clerkships, prestigious public interest work, etc., then don't worry about it. (i'm not saying you may not be able to get these jobs from ND, but it will take much more work.)

there is a large going-to-michigan contingent on this board and i've been impressed (as i was when i visited) about how excited they are to attend michigan.  although you loved notre dame, there is also something great about michigan that has all of these people talking!

I was only admitted to ND off the waitlist about three weeks ago.  I didn't even really have time to think of withdrawing from Mich's waitlist.  Above that though, I'm well aware of how great a school Mich is and I was just holding out hope that maaayybbee I'd get in (as I said, didn't think it would happen). 

Don't get me wrong, I love Michigan, it was my number one choice before I even started this application process.  But once I started learning about ND and talking to people associated with the school, I fell in love you know. 

At any rate, I think I've made up my mind...I'm going to go to Michigan.  Though I love ND and think it's a great school, I really do think that I'd be passing up too good an opportunity.  I don't want to trade innumerable opportunities for three great years. Besides, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'll love Mich as much as ND.

I REALLY hope everyone is right about this loan stuff, cause I'ma turn down ND this week and would be really screwed if I couldn't afford to go to Mich...

jdw112

Contact Mich about this before you turn down ND. Hell, put down deposits at both if it is possible.

Additionally, Congratulations :)

lawschoolfeign

• What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
Contact Mich about this before you turn down ND. Hell, put down deposits at both if it is possible.

Additionally, Congratulations :)

Yeah def gonna contact Mich first, but I can't really afford to put down deposits at both. 

Anyway, thank you for the congrats

Damn it, for a second time, go to the lender's website and apply for a loan now (select UM as your school) to see if you can get a loan.  This will get an instant decision. 

There is no reason to say that I do not know if you can get the loans because you can find out instantly. 

I was only admitted to ND off the waitlist about three weeks ago.  I didn't even really have time to think of withdrawing from Mich's waitlist.  Above that though, I'm well aware of how great a school Mich is and I was just holding out hope that maaayybbee I'd get in (as I said, didn't think it would happen). 

Don't get me wrong, I love Michigan, it was my number one choice before I even started this application process.  But once I started learning about ND and talking to people associated with the school, I fell in love you know. 

At any rate, I think I've made up my mind...I'm going to go to Michigan.  Though I love ND and think it's a great school, I really do think that I'd be passing up too good an opportunity.  I don't want to trade innumerable opportunities for three great years. Besides, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'll love Mich as much as ND.

I REALLY hope everyone is right about this loan stuff, cause I'ma turn down ND this week and would be really screwed if I couldn't afford to go to Mich...

ah, makes sense then.  i ditto the congrats and the hope that you get the funding. 

I was recently accepted off the ND provisional list also. I visited, saw the same things you saw, and I was very impressed with the school/atmosphere etc. Its a great school and doing well there will give you great opportunities. That being said, I would recommend Michigan because...well...its Michigan, and has a superior reputation. Either way, you'll be fine, but at Mich. you might be "more fine" if that makes sense.

PS: as to the person who suggested that ND was only ranked as high bc there are no other good schools near it, they forget Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan.