Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In Michigan off the waitlist- now more confused than ever! ND or Michigan??  (Read 2441 times)

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
You'll get the loans, even with bad credit.  Access group may deny you, but lenders line up to loan law/med school students money.

I would say go to Michigan.  I struggled for a little while deciding between Minnesota with very little or no debt and Michigan with 100K debt.  I chose Michigan and after visiting I really believe that I definatly made the right choice.  When I visited the campus I got the impression that it definately wasn't a super competitive place.  I think top 14 schools (especially public schools) or more relaxed because they know that they don't need to finish in the top 20% (or even in the top half) to get a good job.  When I was there I also met a ton of students interested in PI law, and the school really supports it (loan forgiveness, ect).  It's one fo the reasons it has such a high (relatively) percentage of students going into PI.

There both good schools, but I think you'll have more doors open to you if you chose Michigan.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Two things:

(1) Michigan has a kick butt LRAP program--it really, really helps people who go into public interest or governement jobs (in fact, you don't even have to do public interest, per se, you just have to not be making a lot of money, which means you can graduate from Michigan and open a small, for-profit law firm in a rural town somewhere and still get help--most schools won't do that for you...)

(2) I believe Michigan itself offers loans from school funds to those who are unable to get them from private lenders. They have a really reasonable rate, too (7%).

Seriously, call the Financial Aid Office and ask, because it might make all the difference!

lawschoolfeign

• Sr. Citizen
  • What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
You'll get the loans, even with bad credit.  Access group may deny you, but lenders line up to loan law/med school students money.

I would say go to Michigan.  I struggled for a little while deciding between Minnesota with very little or no debt and Michigan with 100K debt.  I chose Michigan and after visiting I really believe that I definatly made the right choice.  When I visited the campus I got the impression that it definately wasn't a super competitive place.  I think top 14 schools (especially public schools) or more relaxed because they know that they don't need to finish in the top 20% (or even in the top half) to get a good job.  When I was there I also met a ton of students interested in PI law, and the school really supports it (loan forgiveness, ect).  It's one fo the reasons it has such a high (relatively) percentage of students going into PI.

There both good schools, but I think you'll have more doors open to you if you chose Michigan.

Hope your right about this...do you think I should go directly to different banks and plead my case??
U Mich 1L

Gin&Juice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Im biased bc im going there, but I vote for Michigan, basically concurring with what everyone else said.  It will open up more doors.  While ND may be a good environment, if u got into ur dream school, I say go for it.  3 years from now, u don't want to be asking urself what could have been...
"I'm Rich Biaaattcchh!!"

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
dude go to michigan .. we're gonna party hard and get top of the line jobs either way .. dont waste your time studying and trying to be top 10 at ND ... who needs that?

mimi810

• View Profile
I went to Michigan for undergrad and I'm going to ND for law school, so here's my two cents:

Make your decision based on the type of environment that you want to be in--don't worry about the money, like others have said, the financial situation will work out for you either way.

Remember that Ann Arbor is a very different town than South Bend.  Are you interested in a more conservation environment or a more liberal one? What is more important to you--a smaller, tightknit law school community or a larger enrollment that comes with better reputation? There'll be pros and cons either way, just find the place that fits you best.

prophet

• View Profile
    • Email
Go to Umich....I was in the same position as you set to go to ND and got off the waitlist at Mich.  ND gave me 15000 but I still picked UMich and when all was said and done, Mich gave me almost 20000 as a need based grant so it worked for the best.  The school also offers loans through the law school if u need it so I would say pick Mich.  I visited both and have friends at ND too, but Mich is just the better school and if you liked the way ND treated you then you'll be just as impressed with Mich.  My two cents....

michigantroll

• View Profile
    • Email
i cant believe this is even a question

jdw112

You have heard it at least 20 times already but once more shouldn't hurt; GO TO MICHIGAN. All of the follow your heart crap doesn't apply here. If you really love ND, go there as a visiting student or something. Get your degree from Mich.

murkydreamer

Go to Michigan.  It's a much better school and regardless of whether or not you want to do biglaw, that name will open up a lot more doors for you.  I love ND (I'm on the WL) but if I had the chance to go to Michigan, I would take it in an instant...even with no $.