Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 in the spring or wait a year and try again?  (Read 278 times)

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
T3 in the spring or wait a year and try again?
« on: May 20, 2005, 08:41:34 AM »
Okay here's the basic problem. I haven't heard back from my final two schools yet (why not state them--Case and FSU) but I am below median in both LSAT and GPA so I'm not confident. I need to decide if I want to reapply to Stetson (local) for the spring--with my numbers and a LOR I can probably get in fine OR wait until next October, retake the LSAT, and try again at FSU.

My take: FSU is 20K a year cheaper, a better school, and I want to get out of the area. I'd really like to go there and it distresses me that they seem to be taking a lot of people with an LSAT of 156+ and not too many below that (mine: 154). That's beside the point though. Money is a factor, and of course placement after is a factor.

The only thing that concerns me is waiting another year to start and there's no guarantee that I'll be taken the next round. I'm in my mid-late 20s, I am not in the legal field (I'm in the IT field--I'm good at it, and I hate it) so I'm not gaining experience, and I'm anxious to start my legal career. I should mention that I have a Criminal Justice + International Studies degree, so I am not an "engineer" as most people would think of one--though it's in my title.

So I'm leaning towards waiting a year. I'm probably writing this just to hear you guys tell me that this is what I should do... But I'm open to all comments--you can even bash me if you want! :)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: T3 in the spring or wait a year and try again?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 09:09:45 AM »
This is a tough one.  Usually, people don't improve by very much when they retake the LSAT... you might even do worse (keeping it real here). 

Why don't you send FSU a continued interest letter (or call to set up an interview).  Let them know that they're your first choice for this fall.  That might set you apart enough to get accepted. 
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: T3 in the spring or wait a year and try again?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 09:51:19 AM »
This is a tough one.  Usually, people don't improve by very much when they retake the LSAT... you might even do worse (keeping it real here). 

Why don't you send FSU a continued interest letter (or call to set up an interview).  Let them know that they're your first choice for this fall.  That might set you apart enough to get accepted. 

Yeah, I've done the letter... Followed up by an email to the Director of Admissions, which she said would be put in my file. The committee is supposedly reviewing it now. So, I'm guessing that it is probably too late for an interview.

I went complete in Jan, this wait is unbearable.