Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Medium sized law firms VS. BIGLAW...  (Read 1717 times)

williamgazillion

• View Profile
Medium sized law firms VS. BIGLAW...
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:43:14 PM »
With all the talk about BIGLAW, I canít help but think about the lifestyle of those in medium sized law firms?  How's the salary, how are the billable hours compared to BIGLAW?

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Medium sized law firms VS. BIGLAW...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:17:20 AM »
Honestly, if it's a reputable medium-sized firm, you can get similar pay. I was looking through firms in Texas and I found a medium-sized firm that has a starting salary of $115,000 plus bonuses and reimbursments...
SMU Fall '05

BAFF213

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 12:54:18 AM »
Sweet.  Forget all these BIGLAW aspirations/delusions - I'm all about MIDLAW now!    :o

Honestly, if it's a reputable medium-sized firm, you can get similar pay. I was looking through firms in Texas and I found a medium-sized firm that has a starting salary of $115,000 plus bonuses and reimbursments...

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 01:07:55 AM »
Sweet.  Forget all these BIGLAW aspirations/delusions - I'm all about MIDLAW now!    :o

I'm sure that's not as common as you'd think. I also found a medium sized firm that had a base salary of $70,000/yr plus bonuses.

Nontheless, work hard, and you will be paid well. Or, if you want to adapt the ignorant perspective from this forum, you will only get paid well if you go to HYS - otherwise, you're fukked.
SMU Fall '05

williamgazillion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 01:21:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm starting to think I'm all about MIDLAW too!

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 01:29:44 AM »
Remember though that some midlaw firms (especially those that pay the big money) require the same hours and schedual as biglaw.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 01:43:58 AM »
indeed.  when you're being paid 110K+, you're going to have to work fairly long hours to earn your paycheck, especially when you're a new associate, biglaw or midlaw.

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 08:38:57 AM »
If I can find a firm where I'll normally work 50-60 hrs/week instead of 60-80 hrs/week, I'll gladly take the paycut.  And by paycut I mean take a job that pays at least 70k/year.  I'd much rather have the time than see my 20s and 30s disappear.
You can see my numbers at LSN

BAFF213

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »
Yea - I think we should start a thread: "MIDLAW - Who Wants It? Who Has It? Why?"     ;)

Yeah, I'm starting to think I'm all about MIDLAW too!

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 02:18:02 PM »
You can always look for firms that allow part time.  If I do go the big firm route my whole life I plan on going part time after 3-5 years (when I say part time I mean 40-50 hrs. a week).  Some firms even allow part time for incoming associates.  If you plan on going part time right away (or even before making partner) do your research and make sure that part time associates can be promoted to partner, also try to find out the average time associates spend at the firm part time (are the fired in the first few years after going part time?)
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.