Law School Discussion

Relationships and Choosing a Law School...

Relationships and Choosing a Law School...
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:37:34 PM »
Right now I'm trying to choose between two great law schools.  Picking one would allow me to continue living with my girlfriend, while selecting the other would require me to move about 400 miles away.  My heart says stay, my gut says go.  Any thoughts, advice, etc.?

shiveringjenny

Re: Relationships and Choosing a Law School...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:40:22 PM »
How 'great' is 'great'?

I will be facing a similar quandary, but I assume that all the schools I get into will be T20, so it's not really that big a deal. Even if I, say, follow my bf to Cornell instead of going to Harvard, it won't be a big deal if we break up. Cornell is still a good school. So, I ask again: how good are the two schools we're talking about, and how close together are they in ranking?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:44:04 PM »
How 'great' is 'great'?

I will be facing a similar quandary, but I assume that all the schools I get into will be T20, so it's not really that big a deal. Even if I, say, follow my bf to Cornell instead of going to Harvard, it won't be a big deal if we break up. Cornell is still a good school. So, I ask again: how good are the two schools we're talking about, and how close together are they in ranking?

It's between UCLA and Boalt.

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »
Right now I'm trying to choose between two great law schools.  Picking one would allow me to continue living with my girlfriend, while selecting the other would require me to move about 400 miles away.  My heart says stay, my gut says go.  Any thoughts, advice, etc.?

My Mentor/Slave-Driver went thru this exact same dilema. When he graduated from UPenn he applied to every school that was in the same city that his girlfriend had gotten job offers from. He ended up going to University of Dayton because his G/F at the time got a job with Proctor & Gamble. Long story short....

They broke up, and he spent his first winter in Ohio wonder, "What the fvck am I doing here?"

He ended up graduating and now he owns his own law firm, but still, he looks back and realises that picking a law school because of your then-love interest is not a smart move.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:50:21 PM »
Ah.
I have no idea what to tell you, really, but if it were me, I'd go with the girlfriend.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 09:53:47 PM »

but still, he looks back and realises that picking a law school because of your then-love interest is not a smart move.

I still think that if the schools are very close in ranking it's not a big deal. It's not like it's Boalt vs. Podunk LS. If you don't have an extremely strong reason for picking one over the other (ie, I need to do IP or else I will die), it doesn't really matter.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:19:57 PM »
It also depends on how long you and your girl have been together. If it's only been a couple of months, I'd say go. If it's been a long time, but the relationship is strong, I'd still say go. If it's meant to be, it'll be, and distance won't hurt your relationship if it's truly meant to endure.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 04:32:45 AM »
I wouldn't let a relationship (unless I was married/engaged) dictate my choice of law school...law school is stressful a lot of MARRIAGES cann't handle it, so imagine how it comes to relationships. If you guys break up and you didn't go to the school you wanted to go, you'll be mad. The distance isn't that great if you have a strong relationship, it can handle it if both sides are willing to put in the work.  Sometimes a long distance relationship is easier, because you can put in the hours at school without neglecting the homefire on a daily basis.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:38:04 AM »
ie, I need to do IP or else I will die), it doesn't really matter.

Should we expect you at Boalt in the fall of 06?

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 09:19:57 AM »
How 'great' is 'great'?

It's between UCLA and Boalt.

Go to the school that you really want to attend.  Take the relationship out of the picture and what school would you choose?  If that is the case go to that school.  Here is a question, why cant she move with you?  And if she cant(although, I am sure she could if she REALLY wanted to)/wont(so it is probably more along the lines of this), why would you stay and not go where you want to go.  My theory is this, if she has your best interest at heart, instead of her own selfish needs, she will tell you to go to Boalt.  Never, Ever make a decision based on bf/gf status.  I know many a person who did that in undergrad and wound up being somethere they didnt want to be after they broke up.  If the relationship is really that strong and supposed to endure, it will.