Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Texas Waitlist  (Read 4021 times)

dta

Re: University of Texas Waitlist
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2004, 01:08:43 PM »
LawNOrder - are you a texas resident? Also, what was your undergrad major?

much thanks!

lawyer2b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2004, 04:58:34 PM »
This waitlister's stats are 164 and 3.55, in-state.  I'm remaining hopefull for everyone.

LawNOrder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2004, 08:01:15 PM »
Yeah Texas resident, non-urm.  Majored in accounting at a top 10 undergrad B-school.

dta

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2004, 08:17:27 PM »
Yeah Texas resident, non-urm.  Majored in accounting at a top 10 undergrad B-school.

Man, numbers range is really flakie. I've seen people get in w/ numbers like ours and others get rejected. I think with our numbers the rest of the app (PS, LOR's, etc.) will make or break you.

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2004, 09:57:07 PM »
UT-Austin will be on my list of schools to apply to this fall! Hopefully they will be nice to an out of state Houstonian with a wife from Dallas who went to school in FL for undergrad and MBA and has worked in MN for two years now, but is looking to return to Texas in the future and UT will be on my school list. Back when I graduated from High School, UT had a special or niche program that allowed you to get your bachelor's and JD in 5 years at an accelerated pace, and I was accepted then with just the SAT, why not in the future with 2 degrees, addl classes and 2 years+ work exp.

Numbers are okay, although a little under what I was hoping for and where I was in final practice tests, I messed up on a couple of questions and did not fill in an answer for one (unacceptable to not at least guess :(

3.754 Expected LSAC GPA from discussion with LSAC rep
3.94 Graduate GPA in MBA-Finance (3.9 overall, took two addl classes while working FT)
161 85th percentile LSAT

and from my posts from months ago when I first found this site, before going on break from hateraid, I am an African American male married with one child (just to supply situation information)

LawNOrder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 11:13:26 PM »
Yeah the numbers range the gambit, but whatcha going to do?  This has been a tough year to apply to law school.  I am not sure how next year is going to look (if any better or worse).

To Enzyme, your numbers are great.  Just one thing to keep in mind.  It seems as though law school admissions don't care about graduate degrees or gpa's.  I thought mine would give me a boost, but no such luck.  I think they just pretty much look at undergrad gpa's (which in your case, you are still golden). Best of luck to ya!

lawyer2b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 02:59:32 PM »
I got a letter from UT today saying that they are disbanding the waitlist.  I'm disappointed but not surprised.  I thought it was interesting that they kept me on the WL this long but then dropped me without waiting for possible no-shows during the start of classes in just a few weeks from now.  Anyone else get accepted from the WL recently or receive this letter?

Aurelius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2004, 07:34:42 PM »
I got the same letter today. Sucks, but you're right: not a surprise.

Does anybody have any thoughts/feelings about next year's applicant pool? Do those of us who didn't get in off the waitlist have a chance of getting in next year with the same numbers?

Also, is anybody here planning to apply to different schools for 2005? I'd be interested to know where we might stand a chance.

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2004, 08:19:06 PM »
i agree.  i am a texas resident and i would LOVE to go to ut.  unfortunately for me, with a 161 and a 3.78, i didn't even make the wait list.  oh well. 

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »
sorry enyzme.  don't mean to be discouraging, but i thought i would just let you know, with numbers that are almost exactly the same as yours and a degree from a top school, i was rejected.  however, i know people who got in with lower lsats and gpas, so keep trying.  good luck