Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Texas Waitlist  (Read 3856 times)

lawyer2b

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Texas Waitlist
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:17:17 PM »
I received a letter today from UT which says that due to the number of students who have made enrollment deposits, the Committee has decided not to extend additional offers of admission at this time.  It goes on to say that the Admission Committee will review the number of admitted students who have submitted their Letter of Intent to enroll during the first week of July.

Can anyone tell me how much UT asked for in terms of application deposits?  Is a further application deposit required concurrent with the Letter of Intent to enroll?  When I read lawschoolnumbers.com, it seems like UT is nowhere near the first choice for most admitted students.  I'm just wondering how much skin they have in the game at this point.

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Texas Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:07:25 PM »
Got the same letter.  Don't know if it means anything.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »
My guess is that for people who UT wasn't a first choice for, they were hoping to get into Georgetown, Stanford, etc.  But, with the crazy #s of applications this year they might not have gotten in at the higher places and are having to take UT as a second choice.  Or, they are still on waitlists at those other places and went ahead and sent in the deposit to hold their spot at UT.

pendreamy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 05:43:01 PM »
don't always trust LSN. i live in austin, and most applicants from TX would sacrifice their first born to go there. and there are a hell of a lot of texans. i believe their letter, but if you're truly committed, bug the hell out of them right up to the 1st day of classes.

lawyer2b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 09:38:55 AM »
I'm really curious to know details of UT's schedule of deposit dates and amounts.  If those accepted only have a $100 deposit down at this point, it may just mean that they haven't made up their mind.  I'm also curious what the Letter of Intent comprises, and if it has to be accompanied by mo' money.

Overall, it looks like UT has waitlisted relatively few applicants, especially when compared to, say USC.  I read somewhere that historically UT takes 25 - 50% of their waitlisted applicants, but I'm wondering if that will be drastically reduced this year.

tbonesofa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 04:33:32 PM »
I'm in the UT 2007 class and have a friend trying to get off the waitlist, so i'll tell you what i know.  the intial deposit for UT was $200 due on april 15th.  Our letter of intent form is due on june 21 and requires no extra deposit.  From talks with the admission's office, i know that no one has gotten off the waitlist in the past two years, however, i've been told that this year may be different. They have seperate waitlist for in and out of state applicants. Someone (in-state) from lsn and the jd2 board claims to have been accepted off the waitlist a few weeks ago (she says she declined it)

lawyer2b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »
tbone, thanks for the info.  Two questions:

1)  You mentioned that the initial deposit was $200.  Is there another deposit required?  If so when, if not, when is tuition due?  Again, I'm just trying to get a feel for when things may happen at the admissions office.

2)  Did you get an idea of why the admissions office thought that this year's treatment of the waitlist may be different from the last two?

tbonesofa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 05:13:13 PM »
1)There are no more deposits due.  As far i remember, the first tuition payment is due when orientation starts in late august.  However, on the letter-of-intent letter they wrote that they need to "monitor our class over the next few months so that the applicants on the waitlist can be best accommodated." for whatever that is worth...

2)I'm not entirely sure.  I would guess it would just be because they were caught off guard by the record number of applicants in the past few years.  They've probably been more conservative in admissions this year in an attempt to better manage the class.  I know this is the case w/ a number of other top schools (mich, columbia, etc).

Best of luck to you.

tbonesofa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 05:28:03 PM »
also i'd emphasis june 21st as the key date for the waitlist.  I imagine there are a few people who sent in the deposit still undecided (I did).  On the 21st we have to reserve a seat by sending in our letter or intent, and by this time, unlike the deposit on april 15th, i would think that most people would have had time to have made up their minds.  so the end of june or the beginning of july i would guess would be around when you would hear.

Aurelius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:39:53 AM »
I'm waitlisted at UT, so I was watching this thread for a while. Anybody heard anything new?

Also, I'll have to defer if I get accepted. (I'm going abroad on a fellowship.) Has anybody heard of anyone deferring after getting in off a waitlist?