Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I a racist?!  (Read 25285 times)

Lavia

Re: Am I a racist?!
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2004, 06:46:29 AM »
I agree with Todd as well. I've even asked Nola to not make attacks and such, and thought we had come to an agreement on that, but he persists. Nola, following me around from thread to thread, attacking me unprovoked (like the Howard post you deleted, which I did report to the moderator), is close to cyberstalking, both a crime and a tort. I can contact the police, and sue, but instead, I'm giving you a heads up. Stop starting fights and attacks, against me or anyone else. But you're grown. You can do what you want, and I can't tell you what to do.

Lavia
"The Love Board" ??????  I would love to get into this discussion, but there is no love.  In fact, there is a lot of discord.  This country has a long way to go which, one thing learned from this board.  A hint on how to improve relations, respond without sarcasm.

Good insight todd - sarcasm seems to be this woman’s forte. Thank you.

Lavia, you have some serious problems.  That is all I wanted to read. Thank you. Personal attack! :D :D  omfg! My post are the word of g-d himself compared to some of things that come out of your potty mouth. Lets see ... Lavia has called me an idiot, a-hole, stupid, moron, genius (sarcasm of course), shithead, I could go on and on. Seriously, are you off your medication?

I asked nicely once, now I will ask you again; please just stop this. You know what you are doing is called libel? He-man can sue! >:(

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2004, 01:17:20 PM »
I agree with Todd as well. I've even asked Nola to not make attacks and such, and thought we had come to an agreement on that, but he persists. Nola, following me around from thread to thread, attacking me unprovoked (like the Howard post you deleted, which I did report to the moderator), is close to cyberstalking, both a crime and a tort. I can contact the police, and sue, but instead, I'm giving you a heads up. Stop starting fights and attacks, against me or anyone else. But you're grown. You can do what you want, and I can't tell you what to do.

Lavia
"The Love Board" ??????  I would love to get into this discussion, but there is no love.  In fact, there is a lot of discord.  This country has a long way to go which, one thing learned from this board.  A hint on how to improve relations, respond without sarcasm.

Good insight todd - sarcasm seems to be this woman’s forte. Thank you.

Lavia, you have some serious problems.  That is all I wanted to read. Thank you. Personal attack! :D :D  omfg! My post are the word of g-d himself compared to some of things that come out of your potty mouth. Lets see ... Lavia has called me an idiot, a-hole, stupid, moron, genius (sarcasm of course), shithead, I could go on and on. Seriously, are you off your medication?

I asked nicely once, now I will ask you again; please just stop this. You know what you are doing is called libel? He-man can sue! >:(

You realize if you contact the FBI cybercrime unit, you will incriminate yourself and your friend ladyday whom asked YOU for my name and address so you both could come to my HOUSE and cause me physical HARM (castration)? That was kinda weird.

Okay, I am officially done with this site now... it has become a threat to my bodily integrity.
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »
WTF?? LMFAO. OMG I can't stop laughing, oh boy is crazy!! Don't nobody care about you, are you saying you are one of the people Lavia described? You do realize that was who I was referring to correct? I truly think you are in need of some help and I really doubt you will stay away from this board, you will at least come back to read what we had to say in reply, and I just couldn't help myself, but I really shouldn't laugh at you cause need to see a shrink or something but either way buh bye.   :P

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2004, 02:28:24 PM »
NOLA & LAVIA - Time out.  Go to your corners & sit down.  The both of you have been going back and forth for so long I forgot what the hell it was either one of you said 9 f-ing pages ago that spawned this seemingly endless sibling rivalry.  I feel like we have to separate you two for 5 minutes.

AONGUS - I can agree to that.  See how we were able to meet at a certain level of understanding without taking 9 pages?  Get them there. 

A few responses I would make would be that yes even in St. Louis (I live in Kansas City) racial discrimination is very much a reality and I wish you had the opportunity to live through a minority's shoes to see it.  There's this thing you've probably heard of called the "glass ceiling".  I didn't used to think that it existed in the manner in which I had heard so much about until I got into corporate amercia and saw it for myself.  So how do I get you to see that it exists.  Its kinda like the Matrix...one can not be told about the glass ceiling...

The sad truth is, no matter how Steve Urkel-ish you may come across, there are certain realms where my skin color is not going to permit me in the work place in this country.  In 2004, you would be hard pressed to come up with a blatant racial discrimination case such as an employer calling somebody out of their name or something like that.  No, that's too easy and too easily detected.  Instead, it happens subtly.  In most cases, it happens subtly over a span of many years.  You may work for 10 years for a company and produce well above your peers and begin to wonder why others who have come in AFTER you have been promoted BEFORE you???

Its really hard to prove.  And it has to happen to multiple people within the same company before the courts will recognize enough evidence to grant a class-action suite against the company.  But they are very real, Aongus.  This stuff happens.  Look at Coke about a year or two ago, the just settled a class-action discrimination law suit based on unfair promotion & evaluation practices where Blacks were found to have performed JUST AS WELL IF NOT BETTER than their peers, however they were not promoted as they should have been like their peers were.  It cost Coca-Cola $192.5 Million Dollars.  I'd say that's pretty real.

Go here for more examples on the reality that we see everyday as minorities:

http://www.counselconsulting.com/mistakes.htm

HEADMACHINE - To answer your question...you know I've often wondered what would this nation be like if it truly were color blind???  I don't know that that's what we want necessarily.  Because consider what we're asking.  We're asking for people to be able to be who they want, yet we are asking for them to not be judged because of it.  A blended, monochromatic population would idealy be the solution, but then races would no longer have any identity.  If everybody in the nation was of one mixed race population....would we be better off?  I think that's the ultimate question.  Do we need races?  While I don't think its a matter of necessity, the fact remains that people are diverse. We come from many different backgrounds, and as such, if we are to continue living within close proximity of one another, some understanding and acceptance is necessary.  We can not close our eyes to other viewpoints and dismiss them simply because WE don't see it like that.  Recognize that your view is not the only view (speaking figuratively) and that we have 2 ears and 1 mouth so we should be listening twice as much as we are yacking.

And if all else fails, just go and smack The Choson up side thehead.  It will make you feel better.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2004, 02:36:22 PM »
BS-

i agree with ur opinions regarding race, and our contemporary needs and movements in regards to the subject. i think it becomes somewhat murkier in the future when theoretically all backgrounds, traditions, and cultures are normalized and everyone is a "wasp" of tomorrow. what becomes of these lost (and valuable) traits that once defined us, and no longer do? but alas, we are not there yet, but rather entrenched within a current context of "racism" and inequality...but it still makes me wonder sometimes.

:-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:22 PM »
No. I wouldn't consider you to be racist. You have your own set of standards as to what you find appealing. You just don't find Mexicans appealing. I wonder, is it Mexicans or all hispanics?
UMiami c/o 2010

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »
Haven't you ever seen Avenue Q? Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes.

velasquez

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
No, but you're clearly an idiot.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2007, 10:29:08 PM »

No. I wouldn't consider you to be racist. You have your own set of standards as to what you find appealing. You just don't find Mexicans appealing. I wonder, is it Mexicans or all hispanics?

I disagree.

If you 'prescreen' those you might be attracted to according to their race, you're racist. I don't doubt that a person might not find a hispanic (or white or asian or whatever) attractive superficially, but I think there's a little more to having a special connection to a person than that.

Does this sound racist: "I would not befriend a mexican" ?

I would not befriend a mexican is a racist statement. But pre-screening is fine. Everyone has their own standards of beauty and what they are attracted to. Thats a preference. Of course it would be nice if we all got to know people before we made a decision but that hardly ever happens. Some people aren't attracted to people darker than them. Some people don't like people lighter. I'm not remotely attracted to blondes and I would never date one- I have blonde friends, but I refuse to have blonde children. There is nothing wrong with it. It's my standard of beauty and what I find appealing.

Also, to the person who posted this-- I had a bad experience with a mexican in a relationship when I was 16 so I understand where you are coming from. 
UMiami c/o 2010

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
I am surprised that no one has actually mentioned that there is no such thing as a mexican or hispanic race. Surely, you are being prejudiced btw. Anyway mexicans and all other hispanics can be a variety of races and there is a correlation with social status. If you go look at kids in a rich country club in Mexico city...guess what? They will probably be white. The blonde, blue eye kida might be rare, but they will exist...and they are still mexican right? The rest of the people will still be white, but more in a Spain and Italy kind of white. If you go to the atlantic, Mexican coast..many mexicans will be black...so what is their race?

I know that in this country when you think Mexican, you think the short, dark, people. The race? too hard to actually name one but they are probably closer related to native americans and they might have had some Spanish, european mixed into them somewhere down the line...but to say I woudlnt date a mexican is stupid because does that mean you hate the country? If so are you not just basing it on the poor immigrant? What if you met the blonde, blue eyed mexican who is head council for Corona and went to school in the states and is very educated? Why would you not date this person?

And this si going to be prejudiced in my part...flame me but it is true. Hispanics get a bad rep in this country because of who is coming over here. This sounds terrible, but what would people in Mexico think of Americans if who was coming into mexico was poor, white trash, uneducated rednecks? Or poor, uneducated, black people?
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.