Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I a racist?!  (Read 25706 times)

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a racist?!
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2004, 11:06:59 AM »

now im really offended cuz you have a persian bf instead of me.

dont tell my wife.

Dsong can always be trusted to turn a thread away from the main topic...  ;)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2004, 11:09:11 AM »

now im really offended cuz you have a persian bf instead of me.

dont tell my wife.

Dsong can always be trusted to turn a thread away from the main topic...  ;)

thats MR. topic-changer to you.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Lavia

« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2004, 11:23:37 AM »
Your father sounds wise, and fatherly.

I work part-time in a video store, and had a wonderful conversation with this white man who was in his late 60's/early 70's.

First we discussed psychology and psychiatry, and then we discussed lawyers, and then we found out we had both been substitute teachers.

He went there to rent "To Kill a Mockingbird," but told me to rent it instead. Then he told me that he taught a class of all black kids, and one of them asked him if he was predjudiced. He thought about it, and told the child, "Yes, I am." He realized later he should have asked the child, "Aren't you?"

We then both acknowledged that we both have predjudices/biases toward the other's race, but that we both realize that it's okay. We're human. We judge. And then we get to know people.

But I loved that we felt it was okay to tell an older white man/a younger black woman, that we were predjudiced against the other's category, and we're standing there talking and laughing like old friends.

My boyfriend is Persian.

I'm Korean. Not a big deal to me but a big deal to my dad. He doesn't necessarily think I should marry Korean but he wants me to if I can (don't think it's going to happen  ;))

When my father first found out about my Persian bf he was concerned about how my bf wasn't asian. Of course being the hot tempered person I am... I got furious because he was discriminating, having prejudices, being a racist.. blah blah blah... (I really don't think my dad is all those things, but I was a bit pissed that he didn't accept my bf right away).

Calmly my father explained to me (he's rarely calm with his temper) that we will all have our prejudices. We all meet people with preconcieved notions of who they are without them even opening their mouth. We judge based on looks, clothes, smell (have you met someone with BO?), height... hell we judge based on weight! Unfortunately, we also judge based on race. Whether we want to deny it or not, we do. My father continued to tell me that he's going to hate ANYONE I date whether he was Asian, Indian, White, Black... and he's going to have these preconcieved notions about people at the beginning no matter what.

However, he also said that the difference between him and a racist bastard is that although he has these views on people from the beginning, that's not how he's going to continue to feel. He said that if those people were genuinely good people, who are intelligent and kind and treated me like a Queen (yes nothing less than a queen), he wouldn't care if they were purple! Like Lavia said, they may start out at a 0 but that doesn't mean he won't let them get to 100... that's the difference between people like my father and racist people. He won't deny that he has prejudices but he won't let those feelings stop him from knowing and liking (even loving) the person in the end.

Now my father accepts my bf and even invites him over for family dinners (which is surprising because no other bf has ever had the honor, even asian ones). If anyone calls my dad a racist because he does have these thoughts before meeting someone is missing the point. Racism isn't allowing someone to become an individual, racism is not giving someone a chance to be more than their race.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone (although I can't see how it could) and if it doesn, I apologize, that was not my intent. Well have a great day everyone...

Ginatio

« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2004, 11:28:49 AM »
racist bastards.  :P

oh, and i'm persian, too... where can i pick up my hot korean girlfriend?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »

apparently in chicago
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ginatio

« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2004, 11:30:52 AM »
i knew i should've gone to northwestern

apparently in chicago

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2004, 12:51:26 PM »
boy am i glad i stayed out of this thread.

;)

Lavia

« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2004, 12:06:19 AM »
Just wanted to make this public. I don't like how this poster is trying to attack me personally in public, and then privately. I told him not to message me privately anymore. But then I put him on an ignore list. I want this for the record, because he seems like the kind of person that one may cross the line from being a nuisance on a message board to becoming a real live threat.

Nola messaged me offlist, rude as usual. Here was his message:

"As far as its making me seem racist, by the defintion that many people use, I definitely am.

That is all I wanted to read. Thank you."

I responded this way. Not very nice, I admit. But I couldn't believe he had the nerve to write me offlist. I consider it a mild form of cyberstalking. Similarly, he is beginning the same kind of button-pushing on another thread. I will also report this to the moderator. One can't be too careful these days. I wanted to make my replies, mean as they are, public so that I couldn't be acccused of being sneaky or stalking. Here it is:

"Quote from: nola8688
As far as its making me seem racist, by the defintion that many people use, I definitely am.

That is all I wanted to read. Thank you.

You must be incapable of reading. I said in one of my first posts that I was predjudiced. And that I was using a different definition of racism. But if you had any logical abilities, you'd have understood that your definition of racism is the same as my definition of predjudice, and that I had already said, therefore, that I was racist by your definition.

I never tried to say anything to the contrary about my personal feelings. We were arguing, genius, about a definition.

I hope you don't think that somehow you got me to admit something I wasn't trying to admit. I have no shame at all in what I feel personally. But again, it is by the definition of racism that YOU subscribe to. The premise of your argument. By the definition that I subscribe to, Black people in this country can't be racist. So by the latter definition (the one that includes power), I'm not. By the one that you think is the definition, I am. DUH!!

Are you really as stupid as you seem, or do you just try to push buttons for response. I cant believe a grown man who can read would have missed the above obvious-ass arguments and revelations in the posts.

You, also, by your own definition, and by mine, are also racist. So what? You think that's an insult or something to be ashamed of? It just is. People feel how they feel. Man...what an idiot. Don't write me offlist again a-hole. Be brave enough to write stupid *&^% in public.

Try reading my posts from page 6 of the thread. I said the same thing as above a long ass time ago. Learn to read. What a genius.

You are now being ignored. Feel free to message me on the LSD message system. It won't be sent to me anyway. If you have something smart to say, please say it! Publicly. Have some balls (oh, that's right, Ladyday cut them off you said...I have a feeling they were gone long before then.)"

Sorry to bug you guys. I hope this will nip this in the bud and warn fellow listers about that particular poster.

Lavia

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2004, 01:23:55 AM »
"The Love Board" ??????  I would love to get into this discussion, but there is no love.  In fact, there is a lot of discord.  This country has a long way to go which, one thing learned from this board.  A hint on how to improve relations, respond without sarcasm.

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2004, 03:11:11 AM »
"The Love Board" ??????  I would love to get into this discussion, but there is no love.  In fact, there is a lot of discord.  This country has a long way to go which, one thing learned from this board.  A hint on how to improve relations, respond without sarcasm.

Good insight todd - sarcasm seems to be this woman’s forte. Thank you.

Lavia, you have some serious problems.  That is all I wanted to read. Thank you. Personal attack! :D :D  omfg! My post are the word of g-d himself compared to some of things that come out of your potty mouth. Lets see ... Lavia has called me an idiot, a-hole, stupid, moron, genius (sarcasm of course), shithead, I could go on and on. Seriously, are you off your medication?

I asked nicely once, now I will ask you again; please just stop this. You know what you are doing is called libel? He-man can sue! >:(
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!