Law School Discussion

what is black culture?

Re: what is black culture?
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2005, 02:51:48 PM »
Elvis certainly copied Bessie Smith but that's a history lesson for another day..

you see david..that statement you made about corporate culture being white culture.. is exactly what pissed me off in the latino thread a few weeks ago..

i'm tired of people adopting the mentality that just because some white people are in more powerful positions that some black people..that that means that the culture is white..

since the CEO of American Express is black does that make American Express a black credit card?

Music's a huge part of my life, and like I said before, you won't catch me denying the influence of black culture there.

My response to your objection of people's mentality is that minority CEOs played the game and beat the odds. Guys like Colin Powell or the CEO of American Express wouldn't have given a *&^% about spending hard earned money on rims because they knew that would never get them anywhere.

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »
There are a hell of a lot more poor whites in this country than corporate (rich) whites. Are poor whites a part of “white culture” if they are not involved with corporate America? 

Of course! There's more of them and that's been my point from the beginning! They dream of living the life of corporate (rich) whites. They're just unsuccessful. The influence is still there. And that influence is a lot stronger than everything that was mentioned before as black culture.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2005, 02:56:13 PM »
"My response to your objection of people's mentality is that minority CEOs played the game and beat the odds. Guys like Colin Powell or the CEO of American Express wouldn't have given a sh*t about spending hard earned money on rims because they knew that would never get them anywhere."

Do you think that is a part of black culture?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
There are a hell of a lot more poor whites in this country than corporate (rich) whites. Are poor whites a part of “white culture” if they are not involved with corporate America? 

Of course! There's more of them and that's been my point from the beginning! They dream of living the life of corporate (rich) whites. They're just unsuccessful. The influence is still there. And that influence is a lot stronger than everything that was mentioned before as black culture.

I'm not sure if you answered my question though. (And by the way, I can tell that you are not racist. You are simply unaware. )

You said: "So in that sense, nothing really distinguishes white culture from corporate America."

So I asked: "Are poor whites a part of “white culture” if they are not involved with corporate America?" By the way. Everyone does not want to be apart of corporate america.

Also, do you realize that there is no such thing as "black cluture"? We are not monolithic. Black people are very diverse. We come from different parts of the country and we listen to different music and we have different goals, objectives, religions, political views, incomes, and education. So, a classy educated guy like Collin Powell would not want to put rims on his car in the first place.  However, a guy like 50cent would do that. Do you see the difference between the two?

Ha! I know where you are confused. You are confusing RACE with CULTURE. They are two totally different things. Can you see that? I’m from Alabama and even though I’m black I represent a different black culture compared to some black person in New York. Can you see that?

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2005, 03:06:03 PM »
well I was about to respond but no need..hbc already said what I was about to say  :D

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2005, 03:14:11 PM »
"Between the average 18 year old white kid and the average 18 year old black kid, the goals are the same: happiness, security, etc. But the means to those goals are looked at differently in white and black culture. To the white kid it's get good grades, go to a good college, get a good job, get a good house, have good kids and grandkids because that's the game you play for "success" in America. Most black kids aren't afforded the opportunities to play the game in order to be successful (again, I use that term loosely). Not only that, gangster rap only encourages black kids not to play the game." - davidatfsu

And I really don't believe that there is any fundamental difference between the means to those goals. Your thinking is part of a bigger fallacy/stereotype that whites have: that blacks are more likely to be involved with drug related crimes to make fast money, when the statistics point to whites using AND dealing drugs at higher rates than blacks.  And for the gangster rap statement, we would have to assume that whites are somewhat better able to deal with rap music (i.e a hightened capacity to seperate fiction from reality ) than blacks, since whites are the biggest consumers of rap music, but somehow no-one ever talks about the negative impacts on whites.

edit: I know I made an assumption on your train of thought, so feel free to correct me.

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2005, 03:18:41 PM »
damn..these brothas are SMART :)

lex19

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2005, 03:22:28 PM »
so maybe discussions like this would go smoother is there was a clear distinction between class & culture, b/c when you take race out of the picture we're basically arguing the same points on classism, which to me is the biggest ill our society faces today, socioeconomics are a bia

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »
it's all about the socioeconomic breakdown.. i wish that more people would realize that.. you know this may sound strange to some people...but at the end of the day i firmly believe that overall black people have a better understanding in that regard..

but i don't believe that we're the only race that deals with oppression from our own people..

elegantpearl01

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »
Interesting Conversation, I do wish some whites would take the time and read a book by Dr. Cornel West, Dr. Martin Luther King, Tavis Smiley, Bell Hooks, Dr. Dubois...maybe they shouldn't skip by the black section all the time at Barnes & Noble. Try to get some understanding. I try to read on other cultures and of course we've been force fed white history from knee high to a grasshopper.

I'm a bit nationalist, militant even at times in my views, that's why I self-censor, I have some definite views on race having grown up in the South and attended a HBCU in the South. I was also a history major and I got the chance to study with Dr. Larry E. Rivers, who authored the Rosewood Report, which chronicled the destruction of that town here in Florida. I'm on some Ivan Van Sertima, Frances Cress Welsing, Dubois, West, etc. type stuff....My tolerance for educating folks has decreased over the years because I've met so many folks who just really don't get it nor want to get it.  I'm going to read my Malcolm X speech book now...lol