Law School Discussion

what is black culture?

angelus

Re: what is black culture?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »
Wow. You have totally misinterpreted what I said. I try not to judge people on skin color, and when I catch myself doing so I correct the problem in myself. There are bad blacks....AND bad whites too.

More on this later....if need be.

No, I am not a racist. I have known a few black people and for the most part they were wonderful individuals.

I love this qoute, because it basically puts blacks on the outside of what is considered "the norm". How many blacks folx do you know that can honestly say, "I know a couple white people".

NOt very many because of the fact that as black folx, our culture is seen as being outside of mainstream. Therefore we don't have the luxury of using our association with white people as any type of validation. All tho we think that the White Man's ice is colder and that anything associated with black folx is "Raggedy, run-down, ghetto, boot-leg" and the sort, it still doesn't earn us any brownie points to say,

"I can't be racist, my bestfriend is white"

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2005, 12:55:21 PM »
so angelus what have u learned from this thread and what did u intend to take from it by creating it?

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
Right...as soonas....then I'll be looking for you so that I can have a personal tour guide that will really show me the beauty of Barbados!  ;)

;)

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2005, 01:24:07 PM »
No, I am not a racist. I have known a few black people and for the most part they were wonderful individuals.

I love this qoute, because it basically puts blacks on the outside of what is considered "the norm". How many blacks folx do you know that can honestly say, "I know a couple white people".

NOt very many because of the fact that as black folx, our culture is seen as being outside of mainstream. Therefore we don't have the luxury of using our association with white people as any type of validation. All tho we think that the White Man's ice is colder and that anything associated with black folx is "Raggedy, run-down, ghetto, boot-leg" and the sort, it still doesn't earn us any brownie points to say,

"I can't be racist, my bestfriend is white"

But your culture is outside of the mainstream. That's because it's a minority culture. There's nothing racist about that. On the other hand hip-hop and R&B dominate rock music right now 10 to 1 with kids. Take a look at the billboard top 10 and see how many are rock or country vs how many are rap and R&B.

Regardless, I'm not really sure how that validates what you said about numbers. Angelus just stated what is true for him: he knows a few black people and they're nice. Outside of the fact that you really have no idea how many black "folx" can say that, the reason has less to do with culture acceptance or norms and more to do with numbers of people (i.e. majority of whites and minority of blacks) and levels of contact.

And I can't speak to what you said about "White Man's ice being colder" because I have no idea what that means. Quite frankly, stereotyping whites with a washed-up moniker like "White Man" is probably the closest thing to racism and stereotyping on this thread yet. But maybe you were speaking in jest.  :-\

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »

it's like saying "the white doll is better".. it's a mentality that some black people have that white's are better than us.. it's stemmed from slavery, jim crow, segregation etc...

for example during brown v board of education.. a study was done where a black psychologist brought in black dolls and white dolls... he asked which doll was better.. most of the girls chose the white doll..

And I can't speak to what you said about "White Man's ice being colder" because I have no idea what that means. Quite frankly, stereotyping whites with a washed-up moniker like "White Man" is probably the closest thing to racism and stereotyping on this thread yet. But maybe you were speaking in jest.  :-\

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2005, 01:50:26 PM »
Kenneth Clarke

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2005, 01:53:03 PM »
“But your culture is outside of the mainstream. That's because it's a minority culture. There's nothing racist about that. On the other hand hip-hop and R&B dominate rock music right now 10 to 1 with kids. Take a look at the billboard top 10 and see how many are rock or country vs how many are rap and R&B.”

Is this not a contradiction?

seu2002

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2005, 01:56:05 PM »
sure is.

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 02:01:36 PM »
“But your culture is outside of the mainstream. That's because it's a minority culture. There's nothing racist about that. On the other hand hip-hop and R&B dominate rock music right now 10 to 1 with kids. Take a look at the billboard top 10 and see how many are rock or country vs how many are rap and R&B.”

Is this not a contradiction?

Like I said, "on the other hand". But that's only with youth culture. There's no denying that rap culture, which is generally associated with black culture, is prevalent with the MTV generation. But in the grand scheme of the United States, white culture clearly dominates. Corporate America, which is generally associated with white culture, is the culture that rules the day. And my point is that that has less to do with hostility towards black culture and more to do with the sheer number of people behind it.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
sure is.

Africans-American culture IS MAINSTREAM CULTURE. Just because we make up 13% of the US population doesn’t mean that we don’t dictate hairstyles and fashion all over the world. From jazz, rock & roll, blues, rap, poetry, dance, art, R&B, sports, fashion, food you name it! Blacks have been at the front lines in dictating mainstream culture. That’s why you have the backstreet boys, rolling stones, Elvis, etc.