Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do we get a hoodie when we graduate with a JD?  (Read 2613 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Do we get a hoodie when we graduate with a JD?
« on: May 18, 2005, 06:28:04 PM »
I want a hoodie!  Anybody been to a law school graduation?
Attending: Texas

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do we get a hoodie when we graduate with a JD?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 06:56:19 PM »
Wait, a hood or a hoodie?  Aren't hoodies sweatshirts with hoods?

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »
They are called actually called hoods, but I have heard them termed "hoodies" as a sort of slang term.  They are part of the academic regalia that go with your gown when you graduate.  They are the colorful part that hangs down the back. I know PHD's and MD's get them, but I didn't know if JD's got them since a JD isn't a true doctorate.
Attending: Texas

DodgerLaw

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:31:06 PM »
This quote is from the NYU School of Law web page that answers questions regarding NYU's 2001 graduation ceremony (just by pure luck Yahoo! pulled up this particular graduation which is the very one at which my brother graduated):

Why didnít I get my doctoral hood?

Graduates will not receive doctoral hoods at the time of academic attire pickup.  During convocation, each graduate will come up on stage, have their name read, and receive a doctoral hood from a relative or faculty member.

http://www.causeeffective.org/NYULaw/#AANoHood

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:34:21 PM »
My roommate is graduating with his JD from wustl, and he got a hood....of course, wustl's regalia is a giant rip off so he doesn't get to keep it or anything other than his tassel (as an undergrad all I get to keep is my cap and tassel, and it cost me $56 to "rent" the gown....weak)
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy

BAFF213

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
sweet - i didnt know i get a hood.  oh wait, i havent even started law school yet.

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »
purple is the traditional color for law school hoods

MP005

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
Eliza, why do you care about a hoodie!!?!?!? You're going to UT Law, don't you know we wear SUNFLOWERS at graduation?? We're the rebel stepchild of the UT Austin System from a traditional accidental miscommunication, I don't even know if we WEAR robes at grad?! ;D

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/sao/sunflower.html - scroll down to read about it, and it says in the PDF that people should wear biz attire to pin the sunflower on:)

P.S. I think this rocks. Eh. I'm a native Austinite, somehow it warms my heart that the law school here keeps it weird.

mxpocc

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:42:15 AM »
They are called actually called hoods, but I have heard them termed "hoodies" as a sort of slang term.  They are part of the academic regalia that go with your gown when you graduate.  They are the colorful part that hangs down the back. I know PHD's and MD's get them, but I didn't know if JD's got them since a JD isn't a true doctorate.

MD isn't a true doctorate either

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »
I've been wondering about this, too, and it looks like it varies by school. From commencement pictures on the Harvard site (http://www.law.harvard.edu/commencement/), it looks like they give out hoods. It's silly, but I'm really excited about that. :)
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale