Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my IBM X41  (Read 836 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Just got my IBM X41
« on: May 18, 2005, 05:21:09 PM »
AND I LOVE IT!!  It has to be one of the coolest things I've ever bought.  I've typed on the keyboard for the past couple of hours with no problems (the enter key is a bit small, but I've gotten used to it).  The screen is fine, even if the resolution isn't as high as I would like.  All in all, I am very satisfied.

Here are the specs:

1.5 ghz processor

40 GB HD (actually 33.3--in retrospect, I probably would have gotten the 60 GB)

512 MB RAM

fingerprint reader (not only sounds cool, but IS cool...I've set it up and I love it already...no typing passwords)

all the standard stuff

Price: about $1800 with my university's discount

Bought separately:

IBM USB multiburner drive (very small and slim, but pricey: $350 with my student discount) (http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=22P9163&storeId=10000001): I've been using this for the past half hour with no problems.  It's very thin and portable.

512 MB RAM (about $100 from crucial.com): I installed this with no problem.

19" Dell LCD monitor ($300 with coupon)
(http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_1905FP/4505-3174_7-31232074.html?tag=topprods): I haven't gotten this out of the box, yet...the regular display is just fine for what I'm doing now.

There are a number of small improvements in the X41 over the X40, with not much of a difference in price with the same system configurations.

For me, it was basically between the X41 and the Dell 700m. Since I knew I would primarily be using the computer for taking notes and writing e-mails, the keyboard was my primary concern. I tried out a friend's 700m and was quite annoyed by the placement of the period key (right below, instead of slightly below and to the left of, the "L" key) and disappointed by the overall feel of the keyboard and build of the system. The 700m does have a great display, however...

I cannot understate how amazing the X41 keyboard is for such a tiny machine.  I have large hands (I can palm a basketball), and it does not feel cramped at all.  And the overall quality of the machine is second to none.

I decided against the docking station since I could get the DVD burner for the price of the docking station and CDRW drive. I don't mind plugging in a couple of cords when I get home.

I got a great deal on the Dell monitor, but the offer has ended.  Another will probably pop up at some point.

I do not see any reason not to get an ultraportable for the basic tasks one will be doing in law school, especially if you go with the X41.  The T43 is nice, but it still has a fairly large footprint.  The X41 is incredibly light, compact, and comfortable.  I love it.

Ask any questions.

joonmpark

Re: Just got my IBM X41
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »
Are you keeping it at 256 MB of ram?  Did you get the docking port as well?

AND I LOVE IT!!  It has to be one of the coolest things I've ever bought.  I've typed on the keyboard for the past couple of hours with no problems (the enter key is a bit small, but I've gotten used to it).  The screen is fine, even if the resolution isn't as high as I would like.  All in all, I am very satisfied.

Here are the specs:

1.5 ghz processor

512 MB RAM

fingerprint reader (not only sounds cool, but IS cool...I've set it up and I love it already...no typing passwords)

all the standard stuff

Bought separately:

IBM USB multiburner drive (very small and slim, but pricey: $350 with my student discount) (http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=22P9163&storeId=10000001): I've been using this for the past half hour with no problems.  It's very thin and portable.

(http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_1905FP/4505-3174_7-31232074.html?tag=topprods): I haven't gotten this out of the box, yet...the regular display is just fine for what I'm doing now.

There are a number of small improvements in the X41 over the X40, with not much of a difference in price with the same system configurations.

For me, it was basically between the X41 and the Dell 700m. Since I knew I would primarily be using the computer for taking notes and writing e-mails, the keyboard was my primary concern. I tried out a friend's 700m and was quite annoyed by the placement of the period key (right below, instead of slightly below and to the left of, the "L" key) and disappointed by the overall feel of the keyboard and build of the system. The 700m does have a great display, however...

I cannot understate how amazing this keyboard is for such a tiny machine.  And the overall quality is second to none.

I decided against the docking station since I could get the DVD burner for the price of the docking station and CDRW drive. I don't mind plugging in a couple of cords when I get home.

I got a great deal on the Dell monitor, but the offer has ended.  Another will probably pop up at some point.

Ask any questions.

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 05:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the enthusiastic review -- I'm strongly considering an X41.  I'm glad to hear the keyboard is good, as that's one of my big concerns too.  I was also wondering, aside from the good-but-not-quite-great resolution, how you're finding the screen.  I know the X41 is small, but is the screen big enough to read a decent amount of text at comfortably?  I was looking at some other ultraportables, like Vaios and Avartecs, and the screens were just *so* tiny that I couldn't imagine working on them for any extended period of time.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:36:04 PM »
Nope, I got 512 MB factory installed, and installed another 512 MB myself for a total of 1 GB.

Here are the specs:

1.5 ghz processor

512 MB RAM

all the standard stuff

Bought separately:

I cannot understate how amazing this keyboard is for such a tiny machine.  And the overall quality is second to none.

Ask any questions.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 05:38:58 PM »
I just bought a comparable HP NC8000 through ebay, with a 2 year warranty, $800. Same memory/HD/cpu. I like the HP's because they have a 4 hour battery life and ATI Radeon 9600 video cards. I didn't see a place to plug in a laptop during class so I think battery life is quite important. No fingerprint reader though. I've seen the IBM's and they are very nice, I was looking to get one actually but the HP came along at the right price.

I'm planning on getting an external 200gb HD for storing big stuff.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the enthusiastic review -- I'm strongly considering an X41.  I'm glad to hear the keyboard is good, as that's one of my big concerns too.  I was also wondering, aside from the good-but-not-quite-great resolution, how you're finding the screen.  I know the X41 is small, but is the screen big enough to read a decent amount of text at comfortably?  I was looking at some other ultraportables, like Vaios and Avartecs, and the screens were just *so* tiny that I couldn't imagine working on them for any extended period of time.

Well, I haven't had any problems reading things, but I haven't had any windows side-by-side, yet.  I'll let you know if I encounter a problem.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 05:41:49 PM »
Yeah, I got the extended battery, which is supposed to give me 5-7 hours of life.  It adds a negligible inch to the back of the system.

I just bought a comparable HP NC8000 through ebay, with a 2 year warranty, $800. Same memory/HD/cpu. I like the HP's because they have a 4 hour battery life and ATI Radeon 9600 video cards. I didn't see a place to plug in a laptop during class so I think battery life is quite important. No fingerprint reader though. I've seen the IBM's and they are very nice, I was looking to get one actually but the HP came along at the right price.

I'm planning on getting an external 200gb HD for storing big stuff.

joonmpark

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 05:42:50 PM »
Sweet!  I do love my technology.  I'll keep your review in mind when I'm shopping for mine next year.

Nope, I got 512 MB factory installed, and installed another 512 MB myself for a total of 1 GB.

Here are the specs:

1.5 ghz processor

512 MB RAM

all the standard stuff

Bought separately:

Ask any questions.