Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami - JD/MBA??  (Read 905 times)

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Miami - JD/MBA??
« on: May 18, 2005, 03:05:05 AM »
Is anyone considering the JD/MBA program at the University of Miami?? I am trying to research information about the program, but I cant find the average GMAT scores of the incoming admitted students. I just wondered how well I would have to score to get admitted to the program....also, is work experience required? I know most MBA programs require you to have at least 1 year of work experience but I am coming straight from undergrad. Is Miami's b school even ranked?

thanks
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Miami - JD/MBA??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:21:55 AM »
Miami's B-school as far as I know is supposedly the best program in Florida.  I personally know a graduate of the program who is now a dean at another university.  He really liked the program.  Just go to their website.  Miami law is a regional school.  Miami is a good legal market so if you want to stay local you're set going there with such a program.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

ArmChairQB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:02:37 AM »
Miami has sent me alot of info about the dual JD/MBA program.  They are ranked the #1 MBA program in Florida, and top 75 in the world.  I am strongly considering it.  I am almost positive you don't need a year of work experience.  The JD is the backdoor way into the MBA program.

goingtomiami

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
Linzy628, the program is ranked #1 in FL by the Wall Street Journal.  For me, the important factor to consider is the number of large corporations located in the Miami area that would hire JD/MBA grads.  I dont know if the "regional firms/companies hire mainly from schools in the region" rule applies to B-school grads as well, but if it does it would be important to know what the market is like in Miami.  I personally would like to work in-house at a large corporation rather than at a firm, so I think the MBA would help in that respect. 

forbzik

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 04:28:25 PM »
I've considered the JD/MBA route, but from what I understand, conventional wisdom says that it's probably not worth it unless your in a T14 school.  Generally speaking, a JD is sufficient if you want to practice law and an MBA is enough if you want a business career.  There may be a few careers where a dual degree is desirable, but unless you know for sure that you will need both, it's just another year of paying tuition and not working.  Probably not a good ROI. 
However, if you decide a JD/MBA is right for you, Miami is a respectable program for both business and law and they seem to be generous with scholarship offers.  Forbes magazine ranked the MBA program #65 in 2003 and they are #73 for the law program (USNEWS).  The median GMAT (2003) was 650.  I assume, as with most schools, work experience is not a strict requirement, but most people there will have at least a few years.  Most schools take a few students directly out of UG as long as you can show leadership potential.

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 07:38:14 PM »
I am under the impression that you can enroll up to the beginning of your 3L year so I am going to do my first year and see how my 2L job hunt goes.  If I am not having much luck I may do the MBA at that point if it may help my chances of landing a decent job.
Going to Miami

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »
Good point, I think maybe I will wait as well...but I think I should take the GMAT now and get it out of the way while I still have some time to study for it. I haven't taken a math class since highschool!
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
this is so funny.. i actually just emailed Miami about the JD?MBA program today.. I really wanna go for that as well.. I was just wondering if a Principles of Accounting course was required... Cause if it is, I might as well take it this summer.. cause once I start LS, who knows when i'll be able to get that pre-requisite out of the way..

Also, I've been told time and time again.. if you took the LSAT, the GMAT is a piece of cake.. review the material obviously, but it definately does not deserve the same study time that was devoted to the LSAT.. 

Linzy628

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 01:01:22 AM »
I was fiddling around on kaptest.com and doing some practice questions...The math part is story problems with multiple choice answers, not too bad. I think tomorrow I will go to Borders and buy one book and just look into it. I don't really know if I will specifically need an JD/MBA (I dont even know what area of law I want to go into) but I really don't think it would ever be a waste of time or money. I see this more as an oppertunity that is difficult to pass up - it would only be one extra year.
LSAC GPA 3.63, LSAT 158

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog