Law School Discussion

Emory Chances

Re: Emory Chances
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 10:09:39 AM »
I am also choosing Emory over Vanderbilt due to geographical preference and the fact that I am 100% sure I will like it there (I attended both admitted student days). Also, I received my 2nd biggest scholarship out of all my schools I was admitted to from Emory, so I don't know why everyone is saying their fin. aid is terrible. I'm very happy with my situation. I would call Dean Cadray and tell her that you are in at Vanderbilt but will def. go to Emory if they admit you, then follow up with a faxed letter to the admissions committee so they put something in your file. G'luck

king

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 10:17:34 AM »
If are ranked #5 on the WL you are very likely to get in.  Good luck. 

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 11:04:22 AM »
I am also choosing Emory over Vanderbilt due to geographical preference and the fact that I am 100% sure I will like it there (I attended both admitted student days). Also, I received my 2nd biggest scholarship out of all my schools I was admitted to from Emory, so I don't know why everyone is saying their fin. aid is terrible. I'm very happy with my situation. I would call Dean Cadray and tell her that you are in at Vanderbilt but will def. go to Emory if they admit you, then follow up with a faxed letter to the admissions committee so they put something in your file. G'luck

When I said Emory had terrible financial aid I didn't mean that they didn't give any. I did get some aid. However, to make it very clear that despite how well you perform in law school your amount of aid will not increase??That is VERY terrible. I don't see why if someone comes in with no aid and end's in the top 25% of their class after 1L that they should not get additional aid after that year. They have proven themselves and deserve it. On the other hand, Emory will take aid away if you don't meet certain requirements. Why so stingy, Emory??

But to the OP, go where you will want to be. Emory started as my first choice, but as time progressed what I thought were my priorities changed as well. Don't feel pressured to do what you thought was right around the time when you were beginning to apply. Take into considerarion your life from this point on and then make your decision.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 01:01:58 PM »

When I said Emory had terrible financial aid I didn't mean that they didn't give any. I did get some aid. However, to make it very clear that despite how well you perform in law school your amount of aid will not increase??That is VERY terrible. I don't see why if someone comes in with no aid and end's in the top 25% of their class after 1L that they should not get additional aid after that year. They have proven themselves and deserve it. On the other hand, Emory will take aid away if you don't meet certain requirements. Why so stingy, Emory??

But to the OP, go where you will want to be. Emory started as my first choice, but as time progressed what I thought were my priorities changed as well. Don't feel pressured to do what you thought was right around the time when you were beginning to apply. Take into considerarion your life from this point on and then make your decision.

Well, I decided to apply to law school very late (late Feb), so my options have been somewhat limited.

I just heard from someone who told me that when he called Emory for his ranking they told him they did not utilize their waitlist at all last year. That seems a little odd to me. Is that BS, or is there a chance they will fill all the spots without admitting additional students?

mxpocc

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
Two things..

1) Emory usually takes many off the waitlist so I'm thinking you'll get in....Basically those that get into Top-14's off the waitlist then give up their spots..the law school admissions cycle is very predictable...

2) I chose Emory over Vandy (common conundrum for many students).  Mainly b/c the Atlanta legal market is awesome (best in the South..destroys Nasheville) and I did my research...if you attend a non-top 14 but top school and you don't end up in the top 1/2 you'll probably end up in that school's market..This made the decision a no-brainer. I'm actually going back up North upon graduation (Smaller regional mkt where I'm from) But no regrets..definitely made the right decision for me...drop your e-mail if you'd like to discuss...

this person is right; not only is Atlanta a way better legal market than Nashville, it's a better place to live, period. great cost of living index, quality of life, plus big city access.

Emory's also the most respected law school down there, so you can't really go wrong.

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
This individual has me a little concerned. However, his report that last year Emory admitted no one from the waitlist seems to contradict with the data on lawschoolnumbers.com. Someone provided me with the link for the 03-04 Emory admissions cycle and there were a few admits off the waitlist. Is lawschoolnumbers.com reliable?

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 02:57:36 PM »
This individual has me a little concerned. However, his report that last year Emory admitted no one from the waitlist seems to contradict with the data on lawschoolnumbers.com. Someone provided me with the link for the 03-04 Emory admissions cycle and there were a few admits off the waitlist. Is lawschoolnumbers.com reliable?

Obviously I do not know for sure 100% but it would be very unlikely that Emory did not use its waitlist.  Much higher ranked schools used it last year. 

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »
I submitted a first deposit, but likely not a second. There's one spot for you.