Law School Discussion

Messing around with Iowa's admission council

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Messing around with Iowa's admission council
« on: May 17, 2005, 07:03:20 PM »
Ok, I got accepted into the Philip G. Hubbard Summer program at Univ. of Iowa's College of Law for June, also I'm puttin' Iowa on my list of schools to apply to.

So because I'm starting to look at possible Law Schools alot harder now that I'm a Senior, I decided to send the adcon an e-mail the other day asking them a simple quesiton. A few days later they responded with this:

--------

Dear Titus,

Thank you for your interest in the University of Iowa College of Law.  The
application process for 2006 will begin September 1, 2005.  Consequently,
informational materials will not be available until September 1.... 

( skip ahead...skip ahead ...)

I am sorry, but we do not have the statistics in which you requested -- the
number of enrollment vs. graduation rate for African American
males.  However, I am able to tell you that our student body is made up of
16% minorities, 58% males, and our graduation rate is 98%.

Again we thank you for inquiring about the College of Law.  Please feel
free to contact our office with any questions and/or concerns you may have.

----

I honestly would've been SHOCKED if they had the answer for that question, that is gonna be my standard question for ALL schools that I conversate with. (Yup, I said conversate AND I left a dangling participle, what kind of English Major am I?)

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Messing around with Iowa's admission council
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 07:06:50 PM »
I'm confused, why are you applying after you've been accepted?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »
I'm confused, why are you applying after you've been accepted?

Yeah. What's up with that Morehouse?

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:16:55 PM »
I got accepted into the Summer Pre-Law program. Its basically the Law College's way of tryin' to recruit us darkies by giving us a taste of Law School for one month.

I'm also interested in applying their for Law School as well if I like what I see while I'm over there. I still got one more year at Da House before Law School.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:27:52 PM »
I got accepted into the Summer Pre-Law program. Its basically the Law College's way of tryin' to recruit us darkies by giving us a taste of Law School for one month.

I'm also interested in applying their for Law School as well if I like what I see while I'm over there. I still got one more year at Da House before Law School.

Got cha. Good *&^%! How are you doing on practice exams?

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

Where are you from?  Iowa city is a pretty cool place.

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

Got cha. Good sh*t! How are you doing on practice exams?

Practice....ex..ams?   Nah I'm playin', I'm takin the test in October since I'll be in Iowa all of June. So far I've bought the Logic Games Bible and been readin' that, I took the practice test back in October and it WHOOPED MY ASS  I felt like Tyrese when Ving Rhames hemm'd him up in Baby Boy

"Go ahead and call yo momma!"

My Mentor/Slave-Driver (depending on the mood he's in) Is a Lawyer who is friends with Mr. Kaplan (Yeah...that's the same Kaplan I'm talkin' about)   Ever since I've known him he has sworn on everything that he owns that the Kaplan Prep-Course is the Prep Course to end all Prep Courses, so he said he'd help me get into a course before I took the test. He told me that's why Blacks don't score that high in the first place, cuz we can't afford to take the test.

Still tho, its gonna be my mission to find a school besides Howard or FAMU (They're HBCU Law schools, of course they'll keep track of the progress of their black men) that can answer my qeustion about the Black Male students. Cuz its one thing to say that "Oh...are incoming class had 40 blacks in it! 13 of them male!" 

Ok.....well how many of them stuck it out the whole 3-years and actually got their degree?

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 07:53:43 PM »

Where are you from?  Iowa city is a pretty cool place.

I'm a f-in' gypsy man. I was born in Colorado, lived their off and on for 7 years. Grew up in Ohio off and on for 10 years. Now I'm in school down in ATL, and I'm gettin' ready to ship off to some other state/region/time-zone for another 3 years.

What makes Iowa so great? Seriously, I really need to know this.

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 08:02:07 PM »
I didn't take any classes and I did OK.  Just as long as you are disciplined with studying the books.  Iowa city is nice because it's not too big or too small and the area is beautiful.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 08:07:58 PM »
I took the Kaplan course True and I hated it! It was a bad experience for me. The teacher sucked donky male private part so I feel like I wasted 1,000.00. Your mentor is right in that blacks don't do as well on the LSAT because we don't take prep courses. So, I've heard from a lot of people that Kaplan sucks. Perhaps it will work for you.

Law schools will look at your lsat score and they will compare it to your schools average. At this time, the average LSAT for Morehouse is 147 out of 304 students. So, you want to make @ or above that number. Hey, do your best! Score over that of course but at least you know where you stand.