Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where would you go if you only had these three choices?

IU-Indy - $$$
Capital - Local, no move required.
Toledo - In state tuition.

Author Topic: Help Me Decide! IU-Indy vs. Capital vs. Toledo  (Read 1687 times)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Re: Help Me Decide! IU-Indy vs. Capital vs. Toledo
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 01:34:16 AM »
Are you hoping to get into IP Law or some other specialty area or are you more interested in general practice/litigation?

- Comm-Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 07:24:18 AM »
Are you hoping to get into IP Law or some other specialty area or are you more interested in general practice/litigation?

- Comm-Law

IP is out of the question.  I was considering health care or corporate.

Going_Crazy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - powdercarvr
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »
I PERSONALLY VISITED CAPITYAL AND THINK IT IS A VERY NICE SCHOOL, BUT IT SEEMS INDY HAS MORE PULLING YOU THERE. $, YOU LIKE INDY, AND IT IS A GOOD SCHOOL. CAPITAL SEEMS TO ONLY BE A CHOICE OF CONVIENIENCE. JUST MY OPINIONů

HAVE YOU RULED OUT DAYTON?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 10:26:33 AM »
no, really CAPS does stand for Capital Letters and LOCK really means THEY WILL BE ON ALL THE TIME...

Come on, Dayton and Capital are T4, Toldeo is T3, and IUI has a strong health law program from what I've seen.

Geez PBW, now I'm really hurt after the DOWNY comment...

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 11:43:21 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something... you have a background in Business and Systems Analysis (I'm guessing that you have a business degree with a focus on systems?)

You don't want to go into intellectual property... that's fine... it requires a lot of hard-science background in order to qualify for the patent-bar and it's pretty dry stuff if you don't enjoy it.  Business law would make a lot of sense if you were truely involved with "business operations and decisions" in your former career. 

How do you make the leap into health law?  Do you have a background in health sciences?  Were you doing business systems for a health-care provider?  Or are you just trying to do a 360 in your career and jump into something entirely new?

I don't want to dampen your aspirations.  Being a non-trad law student myself, I'm hoping to focus my law studies and future law career on something in which I already have experience.  I figure that 10+ years experience ought to open more doors than a 3 year degree from any of the schools that you or I are looking at.  My advise would be to stick to an area of law that builds on your experience or be prepared to take a pay CUT for your first few years out of law school.  As a seasoned business-person, you should be making a salary at or above that of most recent law school grads from Indy/Capital/Toledo.

I know.... that didn't address the underlying question... where should you go?
I guess that I'd go to Toledo or Indy.  Capital does seem to be the "safety-school" rather than the school you WANT to go to, so I'd eliminate that one right away.  Besides, if you stay at "home" to go to school, you will have a LOT of distrations. 

In deciding between Toledo and Indy, I'd weigh in a few factors.... will Toledo cost more than Indy... I know you have a scholarship at Indy, but does it fully offset the out-of-state tuition?  What sort of hoops do you have to jump through in order to keep your scholarship at Indy?  Do you think you can achieve those marks?  How much will it cost you EXTRA if you lose that scholarship?  Is the cost-of-living in Indy comparable to that of Toledo, if not figure in the extra cost.  Finally, do the placement numbers (average salary and employment percentage) at Indy offset any extra cost you might face by going there?  Answer those questions and I think you will be closer to a final decision.  It will be a money-gamble no matter where you choose to go but if you are a dynamic individual (which you seem to be), you will succeed regardless of the choice.

- Comm-Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 09:44:39 AM »
Hi Comm,

Thanks for the time to post.  I do have a background in health/life insurance, so I don't think it's a stretch to go into health law.

Of course, I'm looking to make a big change in career, which is why I'm attending law school.

What makes me consider Capital is that Columbus really does have a very dynamic economy and legal community.  Toledo is definitely missing those things.

Indianapolis costs a bit more, but is a higher ranked school and I'm not concerned about the negligible costs in tuition.  COLA is higher in Indianapolis and Capital than Toledo.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 02:44:02 PM »
Paperback,

If you have the background in health/life insurance then I can see where you are coming from.  I've never been to Capital or UI-Indy, so I can't say much about either of those schools.  I really have this gut feeling that Capital is still a "convenient" choice rather than a logical choice for you.  Indy or Toledo or any of the other dozen schools you got into might have what you're looking for in terms of health law.

One note... If you are considering Toledo, talk to the lady in charge of the placement office (I'd give you her name, but I've already packed away those papers in preparation for my move).  She was really helpful, she gave me salary reports by industry for various fields of law and types-of-firms, she also provided contact info for several firms with Toledo alumni in Intellectual Property law (the area in which I'm likely to begin).

- Comm-Law