Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baylor? SMU? Houston?  (Read 1627 times)

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
  • The ever judicious Judge Baylor
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ellie3113
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor? SMU? Houston?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »
I don't think anyone can say which school generally has an advantage in the state.  It all depends on where you want to go.

UofH is best if you're interested in Houston.  The amount of SMU connections in Dallas is ridiculous.  Baylor's better in Dallas than Houston.  If you want to go small town or valley or panhandle, they're all pretty equal I think.  I've talked to a lot of lawyers about this and some are partial to their alma maters, some just follow traditional rankings, a lot though have really told me they love Baylor grads.  There is not a better prepared graduate in Texas to step right in a courtroom than a Baylor grad and a lot of lawyers you ask will tell you that.  It doesn't mean they will always get the job, but it's a start.  Baylor does have a smaller alum network because it's a smaller school, but Baylor alums really stick together and they are in some pretty high places.
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

tacc731

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 05:05:59 PM »
There is not a better prepared graduate in Texas to step right in a courtroom than a Baylor grad and a lot of lawyers you ask will tell you that. 

True, but it cuts both ways.  If you want to do transactional work, Baylor is not the best route.

funnyfunny

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
That's a no-brainer= Baylor.  You said Baylor gave you a half tuition scholarship and that Houston gave you no money but the cost of attending Houston is half of the cost of attending Baylor.  This means you'd be paying approximately the same cost to attend either Baylor or Houston, yet Baylor's ranked higher.  SMU is ranked the same as Baylor but they gave you no money.  You have no preferance between the locations of these three schools so go to Baylor.

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »
Do not think you could go wrong with any of three.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 09:07:20 AM »
htrus is pretty right (even though I still vote for Baylor).  This more about the environment that would make you happy.  Would you rather be in Dallas close to/living with family at a small school or would you rather be on your own in big, giant sprawling Houston at a big school or would you rather be in a mid-sized town (I happen to love Waco by the way for those naysayers who aren't fans and I'm from Houston so I've done the big city thing) at a very small school where even the Dean will know your name.

Think about what you liked or didn't like about your undergrad and work from there.

Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 11:26:32 AM »
I don't think Houston is that much bigger than the whole DFW area.

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:45:19 AM »
I don't think Houston is that much bigger than the whole DFW area.

Well that's true, but that's 2 cities.

Is the OP still out there?  We're all talking away (well I am at least) w/ no word from classykaka.  Any of this advice helping?

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

Lilli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 03:16:40 PM »
Forget Baylor, go to SMU if you want to work in Dallas and Houston if you want to work in Houston. If you want to work elsewhere, pick the school that will be the best financially, since they are all good schools.

ellie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 05:42:25 PM »
Hmmmm, Forget Baylor?  Ouch.

Baylor Bound, Fall '05

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 08:22:33 PM »
I agree with ellie - pick where you want to live.  I could have chosen between SMU and UH (didn't apply to Baylor), but I could only transfer with my company to Dallas.  Also, most of the people I talked to say that Dallas is a much nicer city than Houston.  I've never been to Houston, so I can't weigh in on that.

If there was a bigger gap in the reputation of the schools, I would say go to the best one.  Since they're all so close, my advice is to go to the one that offers you the most money.  I'm married, have kids, mortgage payments, car payments, credit card payments, and every other payment you could possibly have.  Debt sucks - plain and simple.  You may make good money coming out of law school - if so, great!  If you are making good money, you won't want so much of it to go toward debt that you can't buy a house, a car, or do the things that you've been working so hard to do.

Find out which school you can graduate from with the least amount of debt.  If you are assuming your income options will be similar regardless of the school, go to the cheapest one.

HTH
Attending: SMU  :=)