Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer  (Read 1414 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer
« on: May 17, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »
I titled the thread like that because now that my options are now set in stone: Marquette full-ride, vs. Indiana full-ride + 8k/year stipend, I know what everyone will say.  Indiana requires I stay in the top 1/4 of the class, Marquette has no such requirement (far as I know).  I really want to end up working in the sports industry, so that's why this is a difficult decision for me.  I know most people will probably say IU, hang on for my Michigan waitlist, or reapply, so feel free to try and convince me, but other insight would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, money is extremely important.  Cost is by far the most important part of this decision.  I don't plan on making a huge salary.  So really low debt (and thus the ability to take a $40K/50K job out of law school or doing maybe a grad degree) is really attractive.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:39:03 PM »
I titled the thread like that because now that my options are now set in stone: Marquette full-ride, vs. Indiana full-ride + 8k/year stipend, I know what everyone will say.  Indiana requires I stay in the top 1/4 of the class, Marquette has no such requirement (far as I know).  I really want to end up working in the sports industry, so that's why this is a difficult decision for me.  I know most people will probably say IU, hang on for my Michigan waitlist, or reapply, so feel free to try and convince me, but other insight would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, money is extremely important.  Cost is by far the most important part of this decision.  I don't plan on making a huge salary.  So really low debt (and thus the ability to take a $40K/50K job out of law school or doing maybe a grad degree) is really attractive.

I would reapply, unless you get in off the UM waitlist.  (And I would campaign UM somewhat if you really want to go there.) 

But I'm amazed that IU would make your scholarship offer conditional at all.  There can't be more than 2 or 3 students with your numbers at IU.  Hell, there probably haven't been more than 2 or 3 students at IU with your numbers over the last decade. 

While I think you probably will end up in the top 1/4 of your class, this is still a big "if" and one screw-up could screw you over completely.  At that point, you're paying full tuition for a fairly regional school. 

If you really want to go to IU (and I know you feel a personal fit there), I would extort them to remove the conditions on your scholarship.  They're lucky to have you, and you shouldn't have to deal with any crappy conditions on the money.  There are plenty of higher-ranked schools that would give you a full ride with no strings whatsoever.  Methinks IU sensed you were in love with them, and therefore were as chintzy as possible.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
Why do monkeys in the movies usually smoke cigarettes or cigars? Why not pipes?

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:15:12 PM »
Because pipes are to difficult.  You gotta put the flame down in there.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:17:02 PM »
Why does the ignition activate the starter?  Shouldn't the starter activate the ignition?
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 02:33:11 AM »
I would reapply. You could get a full ride from a 10-25 school and your career options would be far better. Since you don't want to do that though, go to IU. Considering your GPA/LSAT you should be able to stay in the top 25% at IU.

ilsox7

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 03:13:17 AM »
Ill be different.  Go to Marquette.  You've already spent a few years at IU.  It's an awesome place, but try something new.  Marquette is also located in a city and is close to a major sports market (Chicago). 

James Neutron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:00:35 AM »
if you won't reapply (which you should with numbers like those.  you'd definitely get a full ride from UIUC and Iowa) go to marquette.  the top 1/4 thing is too big of a risk

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:36 AM »
Why does the ignition activate the starter?  Shouldn't the starter activate the ignition?

That's a good question, but I think since the starter engages the flywheel, something has to engage the starter. It all has to start somewhere.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
I don't think reapplying is worth it for you because you aren't looking for a biglaw prestige job so whats wrong with going to IU which is ranked 36 and having no debt.  If you wanted prestige I think you would have applied to prestigious schools in the first place.    I would go to IU if I were you considering your priorities, even if Michigan lets you off the waitless if they don't offer you a grant they probably aren't worth it.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School