Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How MUCH harder are the yr 2000s LSAT compared to mid-late 90s?  (Read 1183 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I just finished working on my second preptest..which was the October 1996 and scored 151.  The major problem was timing ofcourse but I was pretty much get the question I did correct.
However, I've been hearing that the latest Preptests are MUCH harder which is freaking me out.  Can anyone tell me exactly HOW MUCH harder they are?

As well, Can anyone recommend me to some good prep books?  I'm working with LRB and LG Bible right now.  And should I sign up for powerscore sessions, even though I'm using LRB and LGB already? Would that be pretty mucha  repetition?

Thanks.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How MUCH harder are the yr 2000s LSAT compared to mid-late 90s?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:21:44 PM »
First off, don't stress about comparative difficulty levels of exams at this point. It's the least of your worries. 

I would start out with a basic Kaplan/PReview prepbook, just to get an initial overview of the exam.  That way, you won't miss the forest for the trees.  Then, I would move to the Bibles, which are obviously more thorough. 

After the bibles, you can decide about a prepcourse, unless you find that you're having trouble getting the concepts from them.  Some people just learn better in a course. 

I would say that if you're getting average scores this early on, you're in pretty good shape.  (I would also be doing the tests untimed at this point, though.  And I wouldn't take any more practice tests until you've reviewed and understood the fundamentals of the exam.)

Misjas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »
I don't think the difficulty has increased much at all....

soonertbone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:40:53 PM »
I have worked through tests 6 to 26, and I'm actually doing better on the newer ones than I did on the older ones. Part of that may be due to an increase in skill, but the point is that they're not more difficult enough to negatively affect my score. Just keep working and I think you'll start to improve as well.

withj

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:04:26 PM »
It just goes to show ya that reasonable people may disagree. I think the tests actually started to get a little harder once they started making the games questions fewer and adding (roughly speaking) an extra LR and RC question. And the June 04-Feb 05 tests I think are definitely tougher. I took every single published PrepTest ahead of the February test, and I never saw an RC passage that came close to code-switching (June 04) or Bach (Feb 05) for difficulty. And the LR sections contain more of the long-and-dense stimuli, IMHO.

But, many eminently reasonable LSAT veterans here disagree. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:24:05 AM »
I think it is hard to switch time periods.  When I have shifted a few years (forward or back) it has gotten harder for the first few tests.  Then I get a grip on the trends and start scoring high again.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:23:06 AM »
Generally, you can't really say if an lsat is harder or easier.  Sections are what tends to vary.  The recent trend is that games have been getting easier and RC has been getting harder.  If your a RC ace, and hate games with a passion, then the tests might end up being easier for you.  If games are your natural strength, but your RC isn't up to par, you may find that the tests are harder.

Basically, don't worry about it.  The trends are what they are.  Try improve every area of the test while practicing, go in, and do your best.  The trends won't help you study, they'll just freak you out or raise expectations.  And the trends aren't continuous.  Just b/c the most recent exams have been LG light and RC heavy doesn't mean that your exam will follow the pattern.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 01:18:51 PM »
Generally, you can't really say if an lsat is harder or easier.  Sections are what tends to vary.  The recent trend is that games have been getting easier and RC has been getting harder.  If your a RC ace, and hate games with a passion, then the tests might end up being easier for you.  If games are your natural strength, but your RC isn't up to par, you may find that the tests are harder.

Basically, don't worry about it.  The trends are what they are.  Try improve every area of the test while practicing, go in, and do your best.  The trends won't help you study, they'll just freak you out or raise expectations.  And the trends aren't continuous.  Just b/c the most recent exams have been LG light and RC heavy doesn't mean that your exam will follow the pattern.

I know that various people seem to feel that Games have been getting easier lately, but I really don't see the rationale for this, especially since Games got harder throughout the 1990's.  Can anyone eplain why the LSAC would actually make ANY section easier in response to increased prep (as opposed to increasing the difficulty levels even more in another section)?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
I think the most complaints lsac gets is that games don't have a whole lot of bearing on how you'll do in law school.  The fact that it's the easiest section to learn supports this.  It's the Law School *Aptitude* test, and aptitude isn't really something learnable.

Making it easier and shorter takes the emphasis off of them a bit.  Also, they're not easy easy.  I think it's more that people aren't seen the ridiculous complex ones LSAC threw out in the 90s.

And making RC more difficult makes a lot of sense to me.  RC and LR I feel are actually relevant to law school.  Reading critically, thinking on your own about assumptions, conclusions, etc., seem like the skills lawyers actually use on a daily basis.  I'd like to challenge LSAC to show me a lawyer that diagrams linear and grouping games regularly for work, not pleasure.

(red text added for Lisbeth!!) ;)

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »
i can pretty much GUARANTEE that pookie will be that lawyer. in her spare time, of course  ;)