Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Appalachian School of Law. Anyone know anything about it or the town of Grundy?  (Read 1415 times)

steve23ucsb

• View Profile
Theres some schools in California.  Anyone familiar with University of West Los Angeles or Lincoln Law School of San Jose or Monterey College of Law?  I just kinda wanted to get away from home... is it not worth it.  Is Appalachian so bad that it might be worth it to just go to a bad school in CA?

PresClay_00

if you want to end up in CA, i'd have to say stay there.  VA won't be an easy place to get a job afterwards considering the # of schools in the state, and i'd hate for you to make the move just to get away from home for a while and end up screwed upon trying to return. 

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Theres some schools in California. Anyone familiar with University of West Los Angeles or Lincoln Law School of San Jose or Monterey College of Law? I just kinda wanted to get away from home... is it not worth it. Is Appalachian so bad that it might be worth it to just go to a bad school in CA?

Appalachian is ABA approved. Which means that you can take the bar anywhere in the US.
The schools that you mentioned are Cally only and you have to pass the "baby bar" after your 1L year. Also you cannot practice outside CA.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

PresClay_00

Theres some schools in California. Anyone familiar with University of West Los Angeles or Lincoln Law School of San Jose or Monterey College of Law? I just kinda wanted to get away from home... is it not worth it. Is Appalachian so bad that it might be worth it to just go to a bad school in CA?

Appalachian is ABA approved. Which means that you can take the bar anywhere in the US.
The schools that you mentioned are Cally only and you have to pass the "baby bar" after your 1L year. Also you cannot practice outside CA.

certainly something to consider.  another is the states in which grads took the bar.  according to their website, it seems to be states that border VA or the next over, so i would anticipate sticking around for a while and maybe for your entire career

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Most of my family is originally from the Grundy, Prater and Deel area.  As a matter of fact, my mothers family name is Deel, so if you go there you will meet tons of my relatives.  Anyway, I am a little off topic.  I hate going there.  My grandfather decided to leave that hell hole of a town, and has only gone back for short family visits over the past 60 years.  First, there is no easy way to get to Grundy.  From anywhere outside of far southwest Virginia, you actually have to drive through West Virginia to get there.  Techincally you are in Virginia, but the people there have more in common with West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.  Second, the town is flood prone.  I am not sure if they have done it yet, but there was a plan to move the entire town to higher ground.  It tends to flood a lot.  Third, you will not see signs of civilization.  There is nothing, I mean NOTHING to do in the town.  Fourth, it is all coal fields and rednecks.  You actually see people that look like they are straight out of deliverance.  They speak in an Appalachian dialect, not a southern accent.  If you can understand anyone, I will be impressed, considering my grandfather left that town 60 years ago, and I still have  hard time understanding the man.  And he speaks better than most people from there.  Finally, it is flat out depressing.  If you can cope with poverty, and places that look like they are straight out of third world nations, then Buchanan (Pronounced Buh-Can-nun by locals, not like the former presidents last name) County Virginia is for you.  I personally refuse to ever go back, and i skip family reunions that are located there because it is just that awful.     

grad

• View Profile
    • Email
I had the "luxury" of auditing Buchanan County with a firm I was working for and Grundy is the county seat.  We spent about 2 months out there living out of a hotel and getting to know the place intimately.  It is a different town.  They are known for their high school wrestling team (one of the best in Virginia) and their coal mining industry.  As Kilroy stated, the town is flood prone and they are actually picking up the entire "downtown" area and moving it across the river to higher ground.  This has already started and we had to endure dynamite blasting while auditing their financial records.  Restaurants are few and far between.  We ate at the hospital dining facility pretty much everyday because we couldn't find a regular restaurant other then a sandwich shop next to the county building and a pizza place downtown.  There is one movie theatre that has 1 or 2 screens.  The town is very very poor.  Since the towns bread and butter is the coal mining industry, which has had its fair share of problems recently, a lot of people are out of work and living on welfare.  The law school itself is overcoming a tragedy that occurred a few years back when a student who was suspended came to the school with a handgun and went on a shooting spree.  He killed 3 people and injured 3 others.  This was a few years back.  It is a very depressing town that I'm actually surprised still exists.  I will give it one bit of silver lining though; there are an unusually large number of attractive women there.  Something in the water I guess, but for that town, there just seemed to be a good amount of them.  All with Appalachian dialect of course.  I can say though I'm glad I'm not going back.  I actually asked to be switched off the engagement so I don't have to go back there.  2 years in a row auditing that place is enough for one person. 

ASNetlenov

The town is hilly. To see the sky you will have to look straight up.

Twixter

• View Profile

Stanimal

They sent me two flyers last week (I took the Feb LSAT).  I believe one of them is now in my coaster collection.