Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wisdom of dubya  (Read 16775 times)

brotha

• View Profile
Re: wisdom of dubya
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2005, 01:01:24 AM »
Oh there was a net gain in Congress and Senate for Republicans.  Getting closer to the filibuster-free Senate.  Republicans took out Daschle (key victory). 

Oh yeah, New Jersey was a surprise at only a 5% victory for Kerry.

PresClay_00

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2005, 01:01:32 AM »
granted, it's also important to know that those are also densely populated areas. 

hell yeah
it's hard to see this map but this is real

but as the results show, cold water success isn't all it takes any more. 

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2005, 01:05:12 AM »
granted, it's also important to know that those are also densely populated areas. 

hell yeah
it's hard to see this map but this is real

but as the results show, cold water success isn't all it takes any more. 

dude, I wasn't trying to trump you... I'm not under the minsipression of the results of the election... I was just trying to place some perspective on it. ;) g'night buddy
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2005, 01:05:53 AM »
what about the few in PA that could have gone the other way, etc etc.  He won, clear and fair.  as for gerrymandering, it's def a two way street

but they didn't go either way.  the difference, in the end, was made in ohio.

i'm not saying he didn't win fair and square.  i, personally, have few problems with the mechanics of the election.  however, to say his victory resulted in a mandate is a bit of a stretch.

and yes, gerrymandering goes both ways, but tom delay took it to a whole new level when he managed to redraw texan congressional districts halfway between the normal timespan of congressional redistricting.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2005, 01:08:10 AM »
The decision was made in Pensylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, New Jersey, and Florida.  You can't just look at the close call for the democrats, they all could have gone both ways.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

brotha

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2005, 01:09:05 AM »
Well Florida was over 300,000 votes.  A lot more than the 500 or so from 2000

brotha

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2005, 01:12:04 AM »
Here is my favorite fact about the election and Bush Supporters:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/10/tax_foundations.html

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2005/05/median_income_d.html

More rich people in the blue states and they are not friendly to businesses.  Such a shame!

Oh yeah, since we are going to law school for those interested, this website is great for papers and information on tax law.  Not sure if people are interested but it makes for good statistics and empirical data on taxes and tax policy. 

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »
Let us not forget that Clinton had a Republican Congress for 6 of his 8 years.  There was good reform including Welfare Reform in those years.  We need to cut out the pork and make sure we get more tax cuts.  Taxes suck!  Look at the growth in lower taxed regions like the South and the shift away from the Northeast Region like New York.

And no matter what people say Bush started his term with a recession and luckily with his three major tax cuts for EVERYONE we are getting back to normal.  It was a bubble just waiting to bust. 

Welfare Reform (specifically TANF, Temporary Aid to Needy Families) has been one of the biggest disasters of the last 10 years.  Rather than encouraging people to lift themselves up out of dependence on public assistance and into independence, it has done quite the opposite.  Because TANF makes little--if any allowance--for one to educatate oneself (say by attending classes at community college part time) and acquire more marketable job skills, it has led to alarge number of people being trapped in woring poverty, able neither to free themselves from dependence upon TANF benefits nor to use those benfeits to escape poverty.  The biggest problem with the reform, I think, was its rigidity; it didn't account that most people need a transition period, whereby as the poor take steps to lift themselves up out of poverty (which has to include education and training) they would gradually lose the safety net that they would no longer need.  Instead they opted for a sudden shock type of approach, whereby they receive benefits (to make ends meet--barely) while they slave away at a full-time job at McDonalds (that's the only type of job many of these people can get because they lack skills), but lose the entire safety net the minute they enroll at community college to secure a better future for themselves.  That's messed up, in my humble opinion.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2005, 01:17:11 AM »
someone tell ms. julie that "W" or "dubya" is the greatest vowel of our day!!!!

there is wisdom in that :-*

px.o.rsta
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2005, 01:17:54 AM »
The decision was made in Pensylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, New Jersey, and Florida.  You can't just look at the close call for the democrats, they all could have gone both ways.

fair enough, but that still doesn't not equate to a mandate.