Law School Discussion

wisdom of dubya

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Re: wisdom of dubyah
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2005, 09:29:27 PM »
Barf
let's remove the augmentation of the electoral college.

By County-

PresClay_00

Re: wisdom of dubyah
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »
Barf
let's remove the augmentation of the electoral college.

By County-

so you'd rather not have the electoral college?

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
Re: wisdom of dubya
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2005, 09:32:16 PM »
no, it was slated to be paid off if everything worked out perfectly w/o any downturn in the economy.  unfortunately, that didn't quite h

that's not quite right either, i think.  as far as i understand, there was only a projection for the budget to finally be out of deficit some years in the future.  however, this doesn't mean that any accrued debt up to that point will have been paid back.  that accrued debt will have been sold off to the folks who stock up on US government bonds, namely the japanese and chinese.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »
no... I'm just saying that the supposed mandate is not as strong as perceived.

I'm not quite sure how to reform the college.  nebraska and maine(is it maine... or NH... or VT) are an interesting test... but they kinda have never exercized that ability

PresClay_00

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2005, 09:34:09 PM »
During Bush the father, and Bush the son's presidencies, I've always felt like I'd either starve or suffer a huge drop in my standard of living if I was to lose my job.  During Clinton's two terms, I felt like I could tell my boss to shove a stick up her ass, set all the cars on fire in the parking lot as I left, and still have ten job offers before I got home.

Oh, for those days again!!!

so you think that jobs immediately became available when Clinton took office and immediately unavailable when clinton left?  fat chance.  he was just lucky the bubble didn't pop a bit sooner or the attack didn't come on his watch (although the lack/inaccuracies of intelligence gathering during this period certainly contributed thereto)

PresClay_00

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2005, 09:35:20 PM »
no, it was slated to be paid off if everything worked out perfectly w/o any downturn in the economy.  unfortunately, that didn't quite h

that's not quite right either, i think.  as far as i understand, there was only a projection for the budget to finally be out of deficit some years in the future.  however, this doesn't mean that any accrued debt up to that point will have been paid back.  that accrued debt will have been sold off to the folks who stock up on US government bonds, namely the japanese and chinese.

right, but under clinton's plan of a perfect economy, the surplus after that point could then be used to pay off the debt. 

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2005, 09:35:41 PM »
no, it was slated to be paid off if everything worked out perfectly w/o any downturn in the economy.  unfortunately, that didn't quite h

that's not quite right either, i think.  as far as i understand, there was only a projection for the budget to finally be out of deficit some years in the future.  however, this doesn't mean that any accrued debt up to that point will have been paid back.  that accrued debt will have been sold off to the folks who stock up on US government bonds, namely the japanese and chinese.

During the Clinton boom years, when the budget was hopelessly propped up by a bubble stock market, it was projected the nation's debt -- all of it -- to be paid off by something like 2020.  During Clinton, the yearly budget was in the black.  We were actually paying principle on the national debt.

PresClay_00

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2005, 09:38:06 PM »
no... I'm just saying that the supposed mandate is not as strong as perceived.

I'm not quite sure how to reform the college.  nebraska and maine(is it maine... or NH... or VT) are an interesting test... but they kinda have never exercized that ability

but it's certainly greater than any mandate in recent history (as represented by the size of the win and the gains in the legislature)

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2005, 09:38:50 PM »
During Bush the father, and Bush the son's presidencies, I've always felt like I'd either starve or suffer a huge drop in my standard of living if I was to lose my job.  During Clinton's two terms, I felt like I could tell my boss to shove a stick up her ass, set all the cars on fire in the parking lot as I left, and still have ten job offers before I got home.

so you think that jobs immediately became available when Clinton took office and immediately unavailable when clinton left?  fat chance.  he was just lucky the bubble didn't pop a bit sooner or the attack didn't come on his watch (although the lack/inaccuracies of intelligence gathering during this period certainly contributed thereto)

There's no question that the Bush's favor big business over the American worker.  Not that Clinton didn't either, but he wasn't nearly as bad.  I'm not saying that Clinton was perfect, he wasn't, but it's hard to deny the power that American workers had during those years.  The economy was really humming.  Something like 22 million jobs were created during Clinton's years.  I think Bush is just now getting past even.

PresClay_00

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2005, 09:41:30 PM »

There's no question that the Bush's favor big business over the American worker.  Not that Clinton didn't either, but he wasn't nearly as bad.  I'm not saying that Clinton was perfect, he wasn't, but it's hard to deny the power that American workers had during those years.  The economy was really humming.  Something like 22 million jobs were created during Clinton's years.  I think Bush is just now getting past even.

yeah, when idiots walking out of college could demand 80k for nothing and get away with it.  also when VC would go with any plan, regardless of its actual ability to make money.    The Tech Bubble is what made all of that possible, and like i said, clinton got lucky to not have it end during his admin