Law School Discussion

So who did everyone end up going with for their loans?

bdc

• View Profile
Re: So who did everyone end up going with for their loans?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 05:38:11 PM »
I decided to go with nellie mae.  well, thats not true- access group turned down my cosigner and nellie mae approved her.  So, even though they weren't my first choice and i'll have to pay the fees at least there is some hope for us less then stellar applicants.  good luck to all of you.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 07:30:47 AM »
does anyone know a lender that only checks your experian credit report??

Access Loan only checks Experian.

Access Group uses all three, it depends on your zip code.  You should call them to find out who they will use for you.  In Boston they use Experian and in my hometown (midwest) they use Trans Union.

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 08:43:33 AM »
Stupid stupid question. 

How do you guys know your credit scores from different agencies.  Is it smart to order credit reports from all the credit agencies?  Is it expensive?

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 11:47:21 AM »
Stupid stupid question. 

How do you guys know your credit scores from different agencies.  Is it smart to order credit reports from all the credit agencies?  Is it expensive?

You can pay for them by going to Myfico.com.  Do a google search for a current promo code first, and you can probably get a discount... (Regular price is only like $30 though...)

Keep in mind, however, that these lenders typically pick and choose what information they want included in your score, so it may be different from the scores you buy online.

The scores you buy are still useful, however, because it will give you a good idea of where you more or less stand...

thefaceman

• I saved Latin. What did you ever do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 01:20:53 PM »
depending on your state, you can order a free one from each company once a year.  I think the site is www.freecreditreport.com.  I just looked it up and it looks like it is just experian on the homepage.  Anyone else know about this?  I know for certain that I got mine from two of the three a few months ago using this service, but when I look at the website now it looks a little different.

rm5400

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
I decided to go with nellie mae.  well, thats not true- access group turned down my cosigner and nellie mae approved her.  So, even though they weren't my first choice and i'll have to pay the fees at least there is some hope for us less then stellar applicants.  good luck to all of you.

I thought access group didn't allow you a co-signer?  If so, is there a downside to having a parent (with awesome credit) sign with you?

bdc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »
Access group does and requested that I have a cosigner.  I don't know what the downside could be with having a great cosigner.  The downside is only for the cosigner.

rm5400

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »
Access group does and requested that I have a cosigner.  I don't know what the downside could be with having a great cosigner.  The downside is only for the cosigner.

My parents saw the downside of me shortly after birth....Thanks I'll guess I'll have to call them.

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2005, 03:02:46 PM »
depending on your state, you can order a free one from each company once a year.  I think the site is www.freecreditreport.com.  I just looked it up and it looks like it is just experian on the homepage.  Anyone else know about this?  I know for certain that I got mine from two of the three a few months ago using this service, but when I look at the website now it looks a little different.

You can get a free credit report, yes, but you still have to pay for the scores...

The way this works is as follows:

There are 3 credit bureaus--Trans Union, Experian and Equifax.  You get one free report from each of them each year (once every 365 days).  You can order all three at once, or space them out, depending on your purposes. 

Getting all 3 gives a better financial picture of right now; spreading them out and ordering 1 every 4 months helps you to protect against identity theft for free (because you'd see the changes you didn't authorize).

As such, I'd advise paying for all three right now because you want YOUR SCORES.  The free ones do not come with scores, and therefore are of limited help.  If you pay for it at Myfico, you can get these nifty simulators that help you see how certain actions would affect your credit report and stuff--in addition to getting the scores.

The way I see it, that's the better way to go in this instance.  Save the free ones for looking for identity theft...

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2005, 08:59:17 PM »
I got my score with my free credit check at experian.com