Law School Discussion

Should I Be Worried?

Should I Be Worried?
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:03:24 PM »
Okay...been taking practice tests. Last week, I hit a peak! I thought I was finally on the right track to the 170's. Okay...every test after that, my score has gotten lower and lower and lower until today...159...hmmm. Has this happened to anyone else and the scores eventually went back, at least, to normal, or should I be worried about this? I'm hoping the peak score wasn't just a fluke.

nathanielmark

Re: Should I Be Worried?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »
u might be burning out - try taking a couple days off.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 05:50:54 PM »
Sounds very similar to my situation.  While my last score probably had a lot to do with a hangover and my girlfriend's 5 minute rant on the answering machine midway through a tough LR section, I definitely have been feeling burned out for my last couple LSATs.  I'm taking the day off. 

Keep in mind that we still have 13 days left - you'll probably peak again, hopefully on test day.

teckus

• Im pretty fly for a white guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:13:36 PM »
The exact same thing happened to me. It will turn around if you take a day or two off. This may sound crazy but have your eyes checked for reading glasses. I was getting headaches which I attributed to the stress of the test. Lo and behold, it was my eyes giving me problems so I started wearing reading glasses and my scores improved dramtically. It takes 12 or 13 steps for your eyes to focus according to  my optometrist. :o

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 02:54:07 PM »
Haven't done a test since Monday...today's score: 157. This is irritating me! I am definitely burned out, but I have been for a while, even when I got my peak score.

The section I really peaked on was Logical Reasoning--was missing as little as 2 for the first time, but now I am missing more than I was before when I was struggling with that section (like, 8 a section, as opposed to around 5 or 6 a section). When I go back to review (which is me re-doing the questions I missed without having seen the answers), I usually can get the questions right.

In addition, I have also started tanking RC. On Monday's test, I got off track on timing...today's test, people suddenly decided to start calling during that section (and if a person doesn't pick up after about 4-5 rings, please hang up--don't let it ring 15 times!).

TimZ

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »
Another factor to consider is which preptest one takes. They are not really same difficult. The ones from mid to late 90's are far more difficult then the ones from 2000's.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 03:39:31 PM »
the consensus among most people prepping on this board is that the more recent tests are more difficult then the older ones.

Another factor to consider is which preptest one takes. They are not really same difficult. The ones from mid to late 90's are far more difficult then the ones from 2000's.

TimZ

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »
I wonder how many people get higher scores on mid 90s preptests than 2000s preptests before factoring various rationals, e.g. I'm used to new tests because that's how I studied for them, or my scores improved because of my study.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 05:12:46 PM »
Hmmm...well, my results have been such:

The tests I did in the "10 Actual..." book weren't turing out so well. Those scores were in the 150's (around 156-157), which is where I was after I took Kaplan. So, I guess, my scores seemed stagnated for a long time. So I actually can't tell as far as the difficulty between the more recent ones and the older ones because I started doing better on the ones in the "10 More..." book and some of the tests released after that. I'd actually always felt like the older tests were harder, for me. I got my highest score on test 32/OCT 2000 (upper 160's), I believe...then it was downhill from there. Just did test 38/OCT 2002 today and right back around where I used to be! My normal range had been lower-to-mid 160's since I'd started seeing improvement.

Doesn't seem like there'd be much difference between OCT 2000 and OCT 2002...? 

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 07:50:57 PM »
One semi-good thing I found while getting ready to re-work problems I missed...I made some grading mistakes in the Games section. So it turns out, assuming that's the only section I made mistakes in, I got a 159, same as Monday. I feel a little better since that's just one point from the 160's. I still wonder why I am doing badly on LR again...