Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU-Bloomington vs. Lewis and Clark  (Read 1107 times)

lah05

• View Profile
IU-Bloomington vs. Lewis and Clark
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
Okay, need some serious help here.  I was recently taken off of both IU and L & C's waitlists and have until Thursday to let Lewis and Clark know.  I am interested in environmental law, and Lewis and Clark has the best program.  However, I have also been admitted into IU's SPEA Master of Public Affairs program, which is the best for environmental policy in the country and would complete the joint degree program.

As far as location is concerned, Oregon would be a kickass place to be for the next three years.  I have lots of family and friends out there, Portland is only a drive away from the coast and I wouldn't mind living out there long term.

Indiana does not seem like quite as cool of a place (I'm a fan of corn, but it has its limitations), but I visited Bloomington and liked it.  The law school as a whole is without a doubt a giant step ahead of Lewis and Clark, but will I be that far ahead in environmental law at Indiana?  Should I even be basing my decision on the type of law I want to practice (I hear most people who go for env. law don't end up doing it).  I'm also not confident that Indiana is where I want to be permanently located.   

I'm from Minnesota so Indiana would be closer to home, but is still a good 16 hour drive away. 

Please help!

Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

jbrooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Your Mom goes to college!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - brooksjb1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - brooksjb1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: IU-Bloomington vs. Lewis and Clark
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:30:59 PM »
Tough call, location you'd rather be, and a top specialty program in area of interest vs. better overall school, in a less desirable state, but also an excellent dual degree program.

I'm heading to IUB and am also concerned about being able to get out of Indiana when done, the admissions office addressed my concerns about this and made me feel better about it...but am still somewhat nervous about this and this could of been salesmanship. But my advice would be to discuss your concerns and questions directly with both schools and see which one you feel best addresses these and makes you feel more comfortable and confident.
Knowin' nothing in life, But to be legit, Don't quote me boy, I ain't said *&^%.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 04:49:29 PM »
This is a tough one.  If you really love Oregon (I do and that's why I applied to Lewis and Clark as well), then going to school there might be a good thing b/c I believe people do much better in an environment they are happy in generally.

That being said, the dual degree program at IUB sounds like it might open more doors.

Where do you want to practice when you get out?

A.J

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
You would love L&C.  Portland is the best city in the country, period.  You would be on the very nice, very green suberbian west side-a couple of minutes from downtown which has many kickass coffee shops/study spots/bars etc.

Indiana is a festering TTT on the other hand.  Oh, youre deposit was due two weeks ago.

I believe L&C ranks first in Enviro law.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:07:38 PM »
Mind Crime:

Are you refering to the entire state of IN being a TTT? 

Have you ever been there?  Why be such a dickhead when this person is seriously asking for advice?  This kind of childish rudeness is uncalled for.

Now back to our regularly scheduled whining.   

A.J

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:10:01 PM »
Mind Crime:

Are you refering to the entire state of IN being a TTT? 

Have you ever been there?  Why be such a dickhead when this person is seriously asking for advice?  This kind of childish rudeness is uncalled for.

Now back to our regularly scheduled whining.   

STFU, that was helpful.  Dont take things too literally.  Im sure only Bloomingham is TTT.

HTH

jbrooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Your Mom goes to college!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - brooksjb1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - brooksjb1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
Sounds like someones ex boyfriend is from bloomington.
Knowin' nothing in life, But to be legit, Don't quote me boy, I ain't said *&^%.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:45:03 PM »
You redeemed yourself with the STFU.  (My favorite acronym)

Now GFY!  (kidding)

A.J

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
Sounds like someones ex boyfriend is from bloomington.

Sounds like my 10 year old sister is trying to insult me. 

You redeemed yourself with the STFU. (My favorite acronym)

Now GFY! (kidding)

No I will soon enough.  ;)

Colgate

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 06:22:57 PM »
How certain are you about environ. law?  The prevailing wisdom is to never pick a law program based solely on specialty rankings, because yes, people often change their minds.  So, you should be completely dedicated to the field if you are going to go to L&C.  Admittedly, I don't know what's on offer at L&C to merit this ranking, but my personal feeling is that you'll most of your trade on the job anyway.  Also, location matters, as you have mentioned.  If you know you want to stay in Oregon, then the choice is clear.  If not, well, I would just go with the better program.