Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle U or Chapman $$  (Read 2587 times)

devunwalsh

• View Profile
Seattle U or Chapman $$
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:23:47 PM »
For some reason im leaning towards Chapman.  I actually have heard that Seattle U is the 3rd best law school in WA, behind UW and Gonzaga.  Chapman is in a much better area, the market is much more open down in SoCal, and I have lived in Seattle for 12 years now, and i need some friggin sunshine.  Plus, this whole tier thing is kind of overrated to me, Seattle U is borderline tier 3, and I have a 3 friends that went to undergrad Chapman and all three loved it.  Maybe im just helping myself making my decision, but salaries at Chapman are about 18k higher on average than Seattle U, and frankly Seattle can be kind of boring.  Am I nutz? What do you all think?

DodgerLaw

Re: Seattle U or Chapman $$
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 01:59:47 AM »
I don't know if you're nuts or not, but if it's true that Seattle is borderlinge T3/T4, then rankings-wise it may not be any better than Chapman by graduation time.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 03:38:45 AM »
For some reason im leaning towards Chapman.  I actually have heard that Seattle U is the 3rd best law school in WA, behind UW and Gonzaga.  Chapman is in a much better area, the market is much more open down in SoCal, and I have lived in Seattle for 12 years now, and i need some friggin sunshine.  Plus, this whole tier thing is kind of overrated to me, Seattle U is borderline tier 3, and I have a 3 friends that went to undergrad Chapman and all three loved it.  Maybe im just helping myself making my decision, but salaries at Chapman are about 18k higher on average than Seattle U, and frankly Seattle can be kind of boring.  Am I nutz? What do you all think?
After top 13/14/15, rankings mean little--even less when you are in the 3rd and 4th Tiers. Salaries are higher at Chapman, but the average home in Orange County is over $600K nowadays (not a nice neighborhood, an AVERAGE one), so that has to be a factor.

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:57:27 AM »

Can you please cite the source that says chapman grads make 18k more than seattle grads? I thought chapman grads have a median private practice salary of about 60k.

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
Gonzaga is definitely not a better school than Seattle U. I would pick SU over Chapman in a heartbeat. However, I love Seattle, and if you don't like the northwest then you probably shouldn't stay for another 3 years. Also, I would take salary information with a grain of salt considering COL in the two cities are significantly different.

devunwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
First of all, the salary informantion is based on the 2004 US News and World Reports.  Second of all, im not sure if any of you live in the Northwest, but this place is insanely expensive to live in these days.  My parents bought their house in 1993 for 265,000 dollars and in 2005 this year they sold it for a whopping 495,000 dollars.  This place was rated one of the highest in the nation (maybe even number 1) where the cost of living GREATLY exceeds the amount of jobs that pay enough to live here.  Also, about Seattle U being better than Gonzaga, it may be on paper, however a high tier 2 low tier three ranking should not make a school WAY better than a tier 3/4 school.  I agree with another poster when they said that rankings become obsolete when you get out of the top 25.  Anyways, to those who think seattle is cheaper then SoCal, I would for sure look into that if you think you are going to move here, this place will break your pocketbook

DodgerLaw

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 08:13:51 PM »
First of all, the salary informantion is based on the 2004 US News and World Reports.  Second of all, im not sure if any of you live in the Northwest, but this place is insanely expensive to live in these days.  My parents bought their house in 1993 for 265,000 dollars and in 2005 this year they sold it for a whopping 495,000 dollars.  This place was rated one of the highest in the nation (maybe even number 1) where the cost of living GREATLY exceeds the amount of jobs that pay enough to live here.  Also, about Seattle U being better than Gonzaga, it may be on paper, however a high tier 2 low tier three ranking should not make a school WAY better than a tier 3/4 school.  I agree with another poster when they said that rankings become obsolete when you get out of the top 25.  Anyways, to those who think seattle is cheaper then SoCal, I would for sure look into that if you think you are going to move here, this place will break your pocketbook

No doubt Seattle is expensive, but I don't think it can compete with California for increased home value. I bought my house in late '97 for about $210,000. It is now worth about $550,000. In other words I gained $110,000 more equity on a smaller investment in four fewer years.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 08:57:04 PM »

No doubt Seattle is expensive, but I don't think it can compete with California for increased home value. I bought my house in late '97 for about $210,000. It is now worth about $550,000. In other words I gained $110,000 more equity on a smaller investment in four fewer years.

I second what DodgerLaw is saying. My two best friends live in Seattle and I live in OC right down the street from Chapman. Though Seattle's COL has skyrocketed, it still has not kept pace with the COL in OC. A Chapman grad making $60k is still making $15k BELOW the median OC income. I'm not knocking Chapman. I really like the school and their facilities are wonderful. However the same thing can be said for Seattle. What it really comes down to is where you want to practice and what you want to practice. Chapman is a VERY conservative school, Seattle U is VERY liberal with many social justice journals, speakers, and programs. What type of environment do you want besides the weather? My Seattle friends miss the sunshine but they say it's worth it to lose the sunshine for the clean air and lack of smog.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to Seattle U. It's considered the 2nd best in WA (WAY above Gonzaga) and there are so many costs associated with moving that unless you have a huge scholarship to go to Chapman, you will lose out monetarily by coming to CA. Chapman is 7th or 8th best LS in CA at best, it is very new still, and won't get you very far if your intention is to go back to WA. In addition, it cost more to move to CA than from CA since so many people want to live here.

Both schools have great things about them, but I wouldn't make sunshine your determining factor. If you want to be a visiting student at a warm weather school, you can always do that.

DirtMcGirt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
Scurvy - You've been an interesting character on these boards for quite some time, and I have enjoyed following your progress, but I'm curious why Seattle U would be considered WAY above Gonzaga? I'm already committed to Gonzaga, so it doesn't really matter, but I just find it interesting...
Attending: Gonzaga (w/$)

Accepted: Seattle (withdrawn), Southwestern (withdrawn)
Waitlisted: USF (withdrawn), UNLV (withdrawn)
Rejected: ASU, Loyola (LA), USD

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 02:17:49 PM »
Scurvy - You've been an interesting character on these boards for quite some time, and I have enjoyed following your progress, but I'm curious why Seattle U would be considered WAY above Gonzaga? I'm already committed to Gonzaga, so it doesn't really matter, but I just find it interesting...

The WA State judges that I know tell me this time and again. So I'm inclined to believe them. Throw in the USNWR ranking and it seems pretty solid.

I'm sure that you can do well at any school you go to in whatever region, there are always exceptions. However, if everything was the same or easier for me to go to a "better" school, I'd go there instead and not take the chance.